TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What would Carrol do?

Shelby cars and their legacy  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How would Carrol Shelby react if the KR only sold to ultra-wealthy collectors and were never driven?

• He'd be ashamed
    • He wouldn't care
    • He'd be happy
    • Other

This is a philosophical question....but let's just say for argument's sake that the KR ends up being priced VERY high...let's say $150,000 or more. Let's also say that only the very wealthy collectors get their hands on them...many of them overseas. Let's further assume they don't drive them, they put them in deep storage for many years such that no person sees one of these cars operating on a roadway for the next 20 years.

How do you think Carrol would react if that were to happen?

Dave

Up until last night when I watched the interview with Amy and him, I would have immeadately checked off "he would be ashamed" but when he was asked why the KR500 held a special place in his heart (his latest heart :hysterical: ), his response was "because they sell for $100,000 to $150,000 more than a regular 500" is what I believe he said. Years ago, before anything Shelby was hot (well, anything FORD/Shelby anyway), Carroll would bristle at the idea of someone buying car and not using it for what it was intended for. But after last night's interview, I just can't say how he really feels about buying one of his cars only as an investment.

Maybe old age and getting 5 million for a car that he built for about $4,000.00 changed his opinion.

Up until last night when I watched the interview with Amy and him, I would have immeadately checked off "he would be ashamed" but when he was asked why the KR500 held a special place in his heart (his latest heart :hysterical: ), his response was "because they sell for $100,000 to $150,000 more than a regular 500" is what I believe he said. Years ago, before anything Shelby was hot (well, anything FORD/Shelby anyway), Carroll would bristle at the idea of someone buying car and not using it for what it was intended for. But after last night's interview, I just can't say how he really feels about buying one of his cars only as an investment.

Maybe old age and getting 5 million for a car that he built for about $4,000.00 changed his opinion.

He didn't get $5,000,000 for the Supersnake, he hadn't owned it for decades.

Carroll used to say he didn't like to see Shelbys being trailered because they were intended to be driven. I doubt he feels much different about the new ones, but I don't think he has anything to feel "ashamed" about.

He didn't get $5,000,000 for the Supersnake, he hadn't owned it for decades.

Carroll used to say he didn't like to see Shelbys being trailered because they were intended to be driven. I doubt he feels much different about the new ones, but I don't think he has anything to feel "ashamed" about.

Please expand, as I don't agree. Who owned the Super Snake?

Let me ask if it were you in CS place

it will sell for what it will sell for

I would expect it to go for more than my GT500 just because of the mods

who knows

Here's the Barrett Jackson link that describes the history, but it's not clear as to ownership. My understanding is it was, in fact, Carroll's car - and that very provenance gave it the additional value.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/car..._LotNumber=1301

Is CS really proffiting from the ADM

I thisk CS is jazzed about the credit his name has on this car, I don't think he's short on coin.

the market will drive the price of this car, not Carroll Shelby

it does nothing but help the Shelby owners IMHO

...his plant is making a car that everyone loves and wants to the point of paying excessive amounts??? Goodness, I guess he should be proud. He is only responsible for his actions and those things under his control. He has no reason to bear responsibility for the folks who are willing to pay "too much" (whatever that means) for one of his cars.

John

...his plant is making a car that everyone loves and wants to the point of paying excessive amounts??? Goodness, I guess he should be proud. He is only responsible for his actions and those things under his control. He has no reason to bear responsibility for the folks who are willing to pay "too much" (whatever that means) for one of his cars.

John

Well said John

Here's the Barrett Jackson link that describes the history, but it's not clear as to ownership. My understanding is it was, in fact, Carroll's car - and that very provenance gave it the additional value.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/car..._LotNumber=1301

Yes, it was, at one time, Carroll's car. But to my understanding, not at the time of the auction, when they interviewed Carroll at the auction, he said he had built 2 supersnakes; 1 for Bill Cosby, which Cosby sold and the person he sold it to was killed and the car was totalled. And then there was his own Supersnake which he stated, at the auction, when the bidding was getting into the millions, Carroll spoke up at the auction and said "I guess I should have never got rid of the car" in joking way, indicating that the car was not his, like I said, at the time of the auction.

That's the way I understand it to be. I could be wrong though. I have been once before. :)

I believe CS sold it some years ago, I don't remember the guys name that sold it at the auction but it was not CS.

Interesting, very interesting. I will definately have to make some calls and get an answer to this. However, in spite of wheather or not he recieved the net proceeds from the sale, I still stand by my original comment that seeing one of his namesakes sell for 5 million may have him thinking a little differentally about owning them as an investment vs. enjoying them in a manner that the cars were built and intended for. Do I absolutely believe that? Hell no. But this is just a bunch of us jabber jawing about a topic that can only really be discussed through speculation and opinion, so in the end, what I offer here doesn't amount to a pile of Chevys.

As most of us here already know, Carroll has always publicly stated that his company designed and built their cars to be driven both competetively and leasurely, but let me throw this out there...

If you owned a 5 million dollar car, any 5 million dollar car, how much would you take it out? And when you did, how hard would you push it? Be honest, cuz I will. If I owned a 5 million dollar car I would drive it just enough to keep it in prestine running order, maybe jump on it A LITTLE, but in the end, I would sell it as fast as I could and then recycle the funds by purchasing cars that I can be comfortible owning and driving the way that they were meant to be owned and driven. Hell, with 5 million, I could MAYBE go out and buy a KR. :hysterical2:

Interesting, very interesting. I will definately have to make some calls and get an answer to this. However, in spite of wheather or not he recieved the net proceeds from the sale, I still stand by my original comment that seeing one of his namesakes sell for 5 million may have him thinking a little differentally about owning them as an investment vs. enjoying them in a manner that the cars were built and intended for. Do I absolutely believe that? Hell no. But this is just a bunch of us jabber jawing about a topic that can only really be discussed through speculation and opinion, so in the end, what I offer here doesn't amount to a pile of Chevys.

As most of us here already know, Carroll has always publicly stated that his company designed and built their cars to be driven both competetively and leasurely, but let me throw this out there...

If you owned a 5 million dollar car, any 5 million dollar car, how much would you take it out? And when you did, how hard would you push it? Be honest, cuz I will. If I owned a 5 million dollar car I would drive it just enough to keep it in prestine running order, maybe jump on it A LITTLE, but in the end, I would sell it as fast as I could and then recycle the funds by purchasing cars that I can be comfortible owning and driving the way that they were meant to be owned and driven. Hell, with 5 million, I could MAYBE go out and buy a KR. :hysterical2:

I agree with you SON, then again if I could a buy a 5 mil car I'd have a car for my every need, I'd have so many I would get dizzy trying to pic one to drive. :hysterical:

Maybe I should have been more clear...I didn't mean ashamed at HIMSELF...I meant of the situation. I know he has no control over it...just wondering if he rants :rant: when he finds out that people aren't driving the cars he spent so much time making "to be driven".

Dave

Dave, I wasn't kicking at you, I was just saying that he is old enough to be very pragmatic about things, gosh knows I am by now. :banghead:

Pragmatically, people are gonna do what they do, and I have just given up trying to put logic to it. I also think that everyone involved with the KR project expected it to raise a bit of a frenzy. And with that comes the adm unfortunately.

John

Dave, I wasn't kicking at you, I was just saying that he is old enough to be very pragmatic about things, gosh knows I am by now. :banghead:

Pragmatically, people are gonna do what they do, and I have just given up trying to put logic to it. I also think that everyone involved with the KR project expected it to raise a bit of a frenzy. And with that comes the adm unfortunately.

John

it's called creating a market

they (Ford and Shelby) have captured a prety darn good one

Yes, it was, at one time, Carroll's car. But to my understanding, not at the time of the auction, when they interviewed Carroll at the auction, he said he had built 2 supersnakes; 1 for Bill Cosby, which Cosby sold and the person he sold it to was killed and the car was totalled. And then there was his own Supersnake which he stated, at the auction, when the bidding was getting into the millions, Carroll spoke up at the auction and said "I guess I should have never got rid of the car" in joking way, indicating that the car was not his, like I said, at the time of the auction.

That's the way I understand it to be. I could be wrong though. I have been once before. :)

There happens to be a third one in the U.K. Christina Onasis's ex husband owns it. So that MAKES TWO OUT THERE AND NOT JUST THE "ONE AND ONLY". GLAD IT WASN'T MY 5 MIL (IF I HAD IT)

There happens to be a third one in the U.K. Christina Onasis's ex husband owns it. So that MAKES TWO OUT THERE AND NOT JUST THE "ONE AND ONLY". GLAD IT WASN'T MY 5 MIL (IF I HAD IT)

If there is a third one who built it?

Barrett-Jackson and Shelby stood right there and said only two were ever made and one was totaled and that was the only one.

Was Shelby and Barrett-Jackson lying to everyone?

If there is a third one who built it?

Barrett-Jackson and Shelby stood right there and said only two were ever made and one was totaled and that was the only one.

Was Shelby and Barrett-Jackson lying to everyone?

+1. :shrug:

Here's a pic quote and quote from the 1997 Shelby world registry as too how many "supersnakes" were built by CS.

csx 3303 was wrecked and the driver was killed.Parts of that car was used to rebuild a similar car,last known in 1995 in England.

csx 3015,Shelbys car,according to the registry,was last seen at the 1995 saac meet in Atlanta and was owned by a Mr. Cox of Raleigh,N.C.

There was 2 other special built cars with auto trans,but,neither of these were twin paxton charged.

I was at BJ when csx3015 sold,I tried to find out who bought it by name,evidently a closely guarded secret.

I would agree with Owen,CS didn't own csx3015 when it was sold and there were only 2 original twin Paxton super charged Supersnakes built by CS.

Just my .02 cents.

post-5317-1176054148_thumb.jpg

post-5317-1176054148_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic quote and quote from the 1997 Shelby world registry as too how many "supersnakes" were built by CS.

csx 3303 was wrecked and the driver was killed.Parts of that car was used to rebuild a similar car,last known in 1995 in England.

csx 3015,Shelbys car,according to the registry,was last seen at the 1995 saac meet in Atlanta and was owned by a Mr. Cox of Raleigh,N.C.

There was 2 other special built cars with auto trans,but,neither of these were twin paxton charged.

I was at BJ when csx3015 sold,I tried to find out who bought it by name,evidently a closely guarded secret.

I would agree with Owen,CS didn't own csx3015 when it was sold and there were only 2 original twin Paxton super charged Supersnakes built by CS.

Just my .02 cents.

Thanks for posting that. How about the rest of the article? It was getting good and then cuts off.

Archived