TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger 750HP Kit

wanted2b

Phill do you go to Bandimere ?

Not on a regular basis but I'd like to change that. I went to Bandimere FFW last year and plan to again this year. I signed up/paid for the drag race portion but had a bunch of excuses why I shouldn't race. No racing jacket being the biggest reason, then the frickin' HEAT was crazy. I'm hoping to get a jacket this year and now I know I can bring a chase truck with a jack, tires, blah X 3 so....fingers crossed (just to see what I can do in the quarter).

JR from up north runs there all the time and is prodding me to make a appearence so I likely will. I still have a little to do to my car (front end alingnment for one) before race ready.

Phill

• 2 months later...

Haven't been on the board much lately, but I do have some feed back on the new set up. Had it on the dyno today. Not exactly happy with the results, but he said I need some tweeking. 6100 rpm, forth gear, 554 rwhp 431 rwtq. The operator said that the car is running lean and could do a lot better with a different tune. They installed the factory Ford Racing tune that came with the kit. I made some videos of the different pulls and once I figure out how to get them off my phone, I'll post them here. I really figured that it would pull down 600 to 650 hp at the rear wheels. What do you think.

I got the same kit installed recently, and also got poor dyno results : 556 RWHP, 563 RWTQ. Pull done in 4th. The computer calculated 651HP at the crank. I'm very disapointed with the HP numbers. Torq is fine. The car is running great.

I'm using 95 octone gas.

Any idea ?

I got the same kit installed recently, and also got poor dyno results : 556 RWHP, 563 RWTQ. Pull done in 4th. The computer calculated 651HP at the crank. I'm very disapointed with the HP numbers. Torq is fine. The car is running great.

I'm using 95 octone gas.

Any idea ?

Dang, that's not good. You two are the only ones I've seen with those low numbers though. Something is odd.

Are you using the Ford Racing tune or someone else's?

Phill

Dang, that's not good. You two are the only ones I've seen with those low numbers though. Something is odd.

Are you using the Ford Racing tune or someone else's?

Phill

Yes it's running with the Ford Racing calibration that was with the kit.

I don't want to have it re-tuned because I know the FR calibration is very conservative for the engine. But I'm 100HP away from the expected results.

Sam

• 1 month later...

I've heard 2 routes, the bap for the oem fuel pump or the upgraded fuel pump. If you go with the kenne bell bap you'll need to upgrade the injectors. If you go with the upgraded pump the stock fuel injectors were rated to max 800rwhp. Did you get an after market heat exchanger yet? Do you have an 07 with stock crank pulley? Did you get colder spark plugs? I'm going to be getting a 2.9l whipple from frpp as well, but 1 thing I am looking into getting that no 1 has talked about is the 2013 intercooler that goes underneath the supercharger. Any ideas on the intercooler?

I've heard 2 routes, the bap for the oem fuel pump or the upgraded fuel pump. If you go with the kenne bell bap you'll need to upgrade the injectors. If you go with the upgraded pump the stock fuel injectors were rated to max 800rwhp. Did you get an after market heat exchanger yet? Do you have an 07 with stock crank pulley? Did you get colder spark plugs? I'm going to be getting a 2.9l whipple from frpp as well, but 1 thing I am looking into getting that no 1 has talked about is the 2013 intercooler that goes underneath the supercharger. Any ideas on the intercooler?

I have a Whipple 2.9L also and I saw this:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22993

M-6775-MSVT.jpg

I have the same idea you do. I have the C&R (Revan Racing, Shelby) Heat Exchanger so this would be a nice addition to it for max intake charge cooling.

Phill

I saw "China Made"

What a pitty...where are we going?

Get used to it. It's called a 'World Economy'. If you think your Shelby Mustang GT500 (or any other for that matter) is "Made in the USA", I have news for you.

In 1991 I bought a brand new 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP loaded to the gills. I thought I bought a car made in the US (Kansas). Turns out the leather interior was made in Canada, the plastic window and door trims made in Mexico, etc. etc. etc.

It may be "assembled in the USA" but about the only manufacturing the US has these days is the Automobile Industry and there's people beating up on the POTUS for helping them out.....

Say it with me......"WORLD ECONOMY". Now get used to saying it!

Phill

Get used to it. It's called a 'World Economy'. If you think your Shelby Mustang GT500 (or any other for that matter) is "Made in the USA", I have news for you.

In 1991 I bought a brand new 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP loaded to the gills. I thought I bought a car made in the US (Kansas). Turns out the leather interior was made in Canada, the plastic window and door trims made in Mexico, etc. etc. etc.

It may be "assembled in the USA" but about the only manufacturing the US has these days is the Automobile Industry and there's people beating up on the POTUS for helping them out.....

Say it with me......"WORLD ECONOMY". Now get used to saying it!

Phill

I do not think I'll be able to pronounce it right, before a major economical problem occurs :hysterical:

I also have a question, even though id be using a dual 65mm throttle body vs the dual 74mm throttle body that comes on kenne bell, which supercharger is better? The 2.8h or 2.8lc kenne bell or the 2.9l frpp whipple? I'm looking for engine conservation while destroying corvettes and camaros, daily drive...

I also have a question, even though id be using a dual 65mm throttle body vs the dual 74mm throttle body that comes on kenne bell, which supercharger is better? The 2.8h or 2.8lc kenne bell or the 2.9l frpp whipple? I'm looking for engine conservation while destroying corvettes and camaros, daily drive...

6 or 1, half dozen of the other; They're all going to give you the same thing....BOOST.

The 2.9L has more potential than either 2.8L but not by much (.1L). That's the volume of the supercharger, the amount of air it is able to pump.

There is *no* scientific evidence that the liquid cooled KB gives you any *performance* advantage however it may give you an advantage with longevity (it cools the GEAR housing).

Phill

I'm running a new fuel pump that was with the FRPP Kit, with colder spark plugs. I also replaced the stock HE with the Afco dual Fan kit with bigger reservoir from Justin.

As I don't see any other way to resolve this, I ordered a Jun Lund tune for my setup.

I'll give you some feedback on the difference I get. Ford Racing tune VS Jun Lund tune

• 3 months later...

i also only put down low hp with my frpp 750hp whipple kit. 540 rwhp. i only see about 14psi. after some datalogging it seems my frpp pumps might have issues. as soon as spring comes around i will be swapping out the pumps for another set. i didn't realize how slow my car was till a friend with a very similar car with a whipple and a bigger pulley took me for a ride. wow, he also put down 140 more hp and tq than me on the same boost. i hope the pumps fix the issue. it has been a real bummer to spend all that money on something that is so far from what it should be.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently paid a local speed shop to install the frpp whipple 2.9 kit and I have low dyno numbers and its running lean as well. The tuner says he fixed the tune, idk the dyno numbers yet but my fuel guage isnt working now.WTF...Pretty sure that would make it a fuel pump issue. Anyone find a solution to the low hp #'s or try a different fuel pump. Did whipple or frpp help?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, i have a 2011 shelby and i am looking into getting more HP (as everybody else in this group) and have been reading about the 2.9 Whipple supercharger, did the 3 other members manage to fix their issue? i thought what was included in the kit will be enough to get those 750hp promised. i dont want to spend the money just to find out more changes needs to be done. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just picked my 2012 up from Unleashed Performance in Las Vegas and the power/traction are unbelievable. Had the following work done:

New axles

New Wavtrac differential

New Watts Linkage

4.0l LC Kenne Bell

Upgraded heat exchanger

Dyno'ed @ 743rwhp and we I get in it the rear end does not jump nothing like it did before.

Gil and Derek at Unleashed Performance did a great job in put the whole package together. Car far exceeds my expectations.

• 5 months later...

wanted2b

i have the Whipple 750 hp kit Which is pretty much the same one that Ford racing sells (2.9L Whipple with 3" pulley, Fuel booster controller, spark plugs and the SCT programmer, air cleaner and box)

first time it was thrown on the Dyno (Dynojet) it had pulled a 652hp at the rear wheels. Second time on was a Mustang dyno and it pulled a 638hp on a lightly warmer night...

I would have to check but im pretty sure that was about 12.8 ratio. the SCT is running Whipples own program for a 91 octane tune.. She was squirrly at first but i replaced most of the rear suspension with Whiteline performance pieces..

Archived