TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Images Emerge from Long-Closed California Mustang Plant

ilmor

Those are cool, great post.

I met a guy at a car show this summer that worked at that plant, and the car he was showing was a '64 Ranchero that he built there!

Also all, 65-67 Mustangs that became Shelby's were delivered from there to LAX

Today, it is now a mall

Those are cool, great post.

I met a guy at a car show this summer that worked at that plant, and the car he was showing was a '64 Ranchero that he built there!

Today, it is now a mall

Same fate happened to the GM plant in Van Nuys............became a mall.

Today, it is now a mall

When I went to Pacific Grove Jr. High School we took a field trip up to the Ford plant in Milpitas and got a tour of the plant.

We saw Mustangs being built. You wouldn't believe how they installed the windshields. Two guys, one on each side of the car grab a piece of glass, walk it up over the hood, lay the bottom edge in the seal, take a HUGE rubber mallet (one each) and start POUNDING the windsheld into place until it seats in the rubber seal all the way around. Amazing....The tour guide said they break one once in awhile but all in all, it's pretty rare.

Later, after the plant closed my cousin and his wife rented a "Loft" in what used to be the old Ford Plant. I'm not sure if it's ALL a Mall now because I think they rented it after the Mall was built. It would have been on the far north end of the plant (Mall), along 880. And it was a COOL (upstairs) loft too, like the ones you see in movies.

I think the old GM/Nuumi plant in Fremont is closed down now too, isn't it?

Phill

When I went to Pacific Grove Jr. High School we took a field trip up to the Ford plant in Milpitas and got a tour of the plant.

We saw Mustangs being built. You wouldn't believe how they installed the windshields. Two guys, one on each side of the car grab a piece of glass, walk it up over the hood, lay the bottom edge in the seal, take a HUGE rubber mallet (one each) and start POUNDING the windsheld into place until it seats in the rubber seal all the way around. Amazing....The tour guide said they break one once in awhile but all in all, it's pretty rare.

Later, after the plant closed my cousin and his wife rented a "Loft" in what used to be the old Ford Plant. I'm not sure if it's ALL a Mall now because I think they rented it after the Mall was built. It would have been on the far north end of the plant (Mall), along 880. And it was a COOL (upstairs) loft too, like the ones you see in movies.

I think the old GM/Nuumi plant in Fremont is closed down now too, isn't it?

Phill

Phill,

You'll probably recognize the structure below, but not the surrounding area which consisted of orchards back in the 60's before the SF Bay Area building boom took off. How times have changed in Kali...

great_mall_arael.jpg

Here's an archive photo of the plant when it was surrounded by farms and orchards...

FordMilpitas.jpg

Archived