TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1,000 2008 Shelby GT500KRs? Not so Fast, says Carroll Shelby.

Guest staff2

Guest admin.stangs

1,000 2008 Shelby GT500KRs? Not so Fast, says Carroll Shelby.

1000KR.jpg

(Dearborn, MI) TheGT500Source.com 1,000. That’s the number of 2008 Shelby GT500KR (King of the Road) Mustangs that Ford said they would produce, both in their press release | here | and in Mark Fields’ address | here | to journalists at the 2007 New York Auto Show. Not so fast though, says Carroll Shelby.

Shelby said, “We haven’t even established numbers, somebody said 1,000, I haven’t signed off on that.” Shelby President, Amy Boylan added, “That’s exactly right.” | interview here |

Shelby and Boylan’s statements could possibly mean that Shelby Autos will build more than the 1,000 GT500KRs like everyone has been reporting. Aside from the upcoming 2008 model, the only other year that a GT500KR was offered for sale was back in 1968. In that year, they only built a handful – 1,251 in fact. Maybe they'll end up building 1,251 KRs in 2008 too?

One question that’s on every fan, collector and competitor minds is how much the new King of the Road will cost? According to Amy Boylan, MSRP has yet to be determined. A few things are certain though: The KRs will be snapped up as fast as Mega Millions lottery tickets on drawing day, which means they will go for well over MSRP - whatever that figure turns out to be.

For Ford though, the KR continues to validate that the Shelby brand is still highly coveted amongst new and old enthusiasts alike. Further, by limiting production, the demand for Shelby vehicles will remain high as will their value over the years.

Limiting production has always been a hallmark of Shelby Automobiles, as it has been with other specialty makes, like BMW. It’s part of what makes a Shelby a Shelby.

In other GT500 rumblings, we’ve been hearing that a Super-GT500 is in the works | more |. And it is. In terms of performance, the yet to be named GT500 will take its place above the GT500KR. So, if you think the GT500KR is bad, Shelby and Boylan have another project in the works. And that’s not all. Both Shelby honcho’s made it crystal clear that they have not and will not forget 2007 GT500 owners.

In fact, they both made it a candid point to make certain that 2007 GT500 owners know that they will be able to upgrade their vehicles with a plethora of the meanest of upcoming Shelby engine, suspension and body parts too.

More 2008 Shelby GT500KR News /

ahhh good, my likelihood of getting one for D-plan has just gone up an iota

Doubyful. It's not even a question of finding a dealer that would honor D-Plan. Ford EXCLUDES the GT500 from D-plan so I seriously doubt you would ever see a GT500KR at D-Plan. The dealers would loose money because Ford doesn't pay any commission on any plans pertaining to the GT500 or limited production vehicles.

Trust me, I already tried it on the GT500 where the dealer could claim it under D-Plan so they could get the extra commission I would just pay the difference but Ford excludes it.

I think the only shot of getting any type of a decent deal on this car would be if some real small town dealer happened to be one of the lucky ones to get one of these where they had no idea on what the market value really was. Outside of that it will probably never happen.

And even if there was such a deal to be had I would suspect one of the employees at the dealership would snatch it up first. I know I would!

I am one of the salespeople at the dealer, lol...and it helps me sell the car to love it so much...but still painful to not ever be able to afford one, lol. ah well, i can afford the v-6 and still get enjoyment from it, and just be proud that ford is even making such a magnificent car as the GT500(+1 for KR)

You know what I like best about this info....the SOURCE!

There can be no arguing about it's legitimacy. Heck, even the President (Amy) was sitting there to chime in if she disagreed....and she didn't.

So I think this post wins the award for the most factually based post in the world. :hysterical2:

No convertible!!! NO new engine...a V-10 or a new 427 would be nice....no wonder GM & FORD are losing market share every year!!!! not a real "KR" with a 5.4 liter..and how about letting people buy direct from the factory at MSRP we are not all millionaires :redcard:

No convertible!!! NO new engine...a V-10 or a new 427 would be nice....no wonder GM & FORD are losing market share every year!!!! not a real "KR" with a 5.4 liter..and how about letting people buy direct from the factory at MSRP we are not all millionaires :redcard:

Why would you want to stuff a V10 into a Mustang when the 5.4L produces 540+ horsepower? How would Ford, GM or even DCX fund an entire new engine just for one car line? Shelby used the 289, 302, 351W and the 428 - all standard Ford engines during the 1960s.

Shelby has NOT ruled out a KR convertible. They are evaluating feedback and might do a GT500KR 'vert. It's all a matter of making it handle and perform. I mean, how many 540+ horsepower convertibles do you see sold by other makes? It takes a lot of resources to get a convertible to perform like a coupe.

Shelby's are expensive - they have always been expensive - they will always be expensive. That's was makes in an exclusive club. And that's why EVERYONE wants one.

You CANNOT buy from the factory due to state franchise laws......

Why would you want to stuff a V10 into a Mustang when the 5.4L produces 540+ horsepower? How would Ford, GM or even DCX fund an entire new engine just for one car line? Shelby used the 289, 302, 351W and the 428 - all standard Ford engines during the 1960s.

Shelby has NOT ruled out a KR convertible. They are evaluating feedback and might do a GT500KR 'vert. It's all a matter of making it handle and perform. I mean, how many 540+ horsepower convertibles do you see sold by other makes? It takes a lot of resources to get a convertible to perform like a coupe.

Shelby's are expensive - they have always been expensive - they will always be expensive. That's was makes in an exclusive club. And that's why EVERYONE wants one.

You CANNOT buy from the factory due to state franchise laws......

I think saying "EVERYONE" is a bit misleading....but I agree with the rest of your post.

Oh, and I also notice that little "+" sign behind the 540. :spiteful:

Hey, ricinct -- WELCOME to SU!!

There's a lot of info here... and a lot of good folks ...hang out, ask questions, and enjoy.

---

A quick primer on some topics that seem to touch your interests...

No vert: this has not been precluded, just not presently planned as far as I know (verts need special prep for chassis rigidity as HP is increased).

No New Engine: well, not for the KR anyway, but Mustang will likely see the Hurricane/Boss in the future -- about the same (or a tad more) bore spacing than the vintage FE 427 motors, but a throughly modern from-scratch motor first to ship as a 6.2L in the 2008 F-series and likely later in the refreshed or redone mustang (at some point) likely as a 5.8L initially with design capacity for a nicely oversquare 427 ;-)

V10: well, the V10 3-valve exists in the trucks, and the V10 DOHCs in the concept Cobra and GR-1 exist but are far from production motors. V10s are impossible to thoroughly balance (besids, the exhaust note is odd -- e.g., Vipers really sound crappy <lol>) and it's unlikely Ford will make a volume production investment in them for hi-po service at this point, imo.

427: a V8 modular is incapable of getting to 7.0L/427cid in any reasonable/usefull form. The bore spacing of the modular is just too small and the 5.4 is stroked as far as practical. I doubt any additional deck height or stroke will be in the offing for the mod. If manracer spray-bore tech were to become a production tech, the 5.4 could go to an almost-square 5.8L just as the 4.6 went to 5.0 in the manracer -- unlikely (and unnecessary, imo, for a S/C motor), but tech-possible.

So, I suspect the modular 5.4 DOHC will remain the big-dog until the H/Boss comes on-line to pick up the heavy lifting -- no official timeframe, but it can't wait much past the ramp-up of the SS Camaro, imo. Likely a 2-valve SOHC initially, no rumors of a DOHC or alloy version yet (unfortunately), but if the muscle car wars look to run uninterrupted (by a 'Congress gone mad") it would make sense that alloy and DOHC versions would be in the eventual rollout just as with the modulars (just a hunch.. and hope!!! but no inside info or any known casting orders to support that hope).

ADMs: Dealers set price under the Franchise Agreements -- Ford has no control over this ...unfortunate, but true. My belief is that as production continues and competition ramps up, ADMs will be tamed (not everyone agrees). My hunch is the H/Boss will also help since it will likely incorporate fundamental improvements such as VVT/VCT and DI for excellent emissions wich should permit a more favorable balalnce of hi-po engines in a given CAFE target/mix... goodness, imo.

So, be patient and hang on -- it's gonna be a good ride, I think ;-)

Realize, this isn't the old days in regards to lax emissions, unrestricted engine mix/options, but there's still a lot of life left in the 5.4 mod and the 4.6 alloy with various S/Cs and S.E. variant using FRP/aftermarket parts ...and other goodies Shelby likely has up their sleeves (whatever they are ;-). The present mustang is the industry poster-child for aftermarket-friendly design, so it is easily mod'd into just about anything you might want or need to fit your driving/HP habbits ;-)

Hope some of this helps put things in some perspective....

Enjoy the site!

-Dan

Not to rain on everyone's parade, because I'd like a Shelby in my garage too, but if Carroll Shelby wants to build more than 1000, and Mark Fields says only 1000, then I think we'll only see 1000 official "factory" KRs. Ford controls the pipeline over SAI.

What might be going on are the negotiations for an additional model year of KRs. If that's the case, then both Carroll Shelby and Mark Fields are both correct in their statements.

Not to rain on everyone's parade, because I'd like a Shelby in my garage too, but if Carroll Shelby wants to build more than 1000, and Mark Fields says only 1000, then I think we'll only see 1000 official "factory" KRs. Ford controls the pipeline over SAI.

What might be going on are the negotiations for an additional model year of KRs. If that's the case, then both Carroll Shelby and Mark Fields are both correct in their statements.

+1

Imo, thats wrong, you don't know Carroll too well then! He's a tough ol Texan, businessman, and in general an overall very cool guy,who's an ol school gearhead. Believe me if his name is on it, he "Will" get what He wants,otherwise it will be another falling out with Ford like the later model Shelby's of the 60's, and I know Ford doesn't want that again, especially being on a positive roll with all the current limited edition shelby's. I know as I use to work for him way back when.Trust me, he says more, he will get more as he will negotiate to the number he agrees upon (wants ) with Ford and svt, even if its thousands, or just a few hundred more. Its a matter of principle. Thats the Carroll I know, trust me, He is a man of his word! Go Get Em Carroll!!!!

I think it's all a lot good fun and posturing at this point. Remember many had questioned the degree of Carroll's involvement, etc, and some PR posturing for the camera never hurt anyone ;-)

Ford rescued SA from the brink of bankrupsy (they were millions in the hole) and this is now a Shelby/Ford love affair (turned marriage, as Amy says) that is on very solid ground. That's what friends do for friends...

I agree, Sssss The Man is just amazing and never to be underestimated -- I can only wish I'm as vital when I'm well into my 80s ...and cruising in my new 75th anniversary Shelby GT1000KR-CS -- damn, those Hub-electrics have torque!!!! ;-)

I think it's all a lot good fun and posturing at this point. Remember many had questioned the degree of Carroll's involvement, etc, and some PR posturing for the camera never hurt anyone ;-)

Ford rescued SA from the brink of bankrupsy (they were millions in the hole) and this is now a Shelby/Ford love affair (turned marriage, as Amy says) that is on very solid ground. That's what friends do for friends...

I agree, Sssss The Man is just amazing and never to be underestimated -- I can only wish I'm as vital when I'm well into my 80s ...and cruising in my new 75th anniversary Shelby GT1000KR-CS -- damn, those Hub-electrics have torque!!!! ;-)

I agree there is a certain degree of pr that goes hand-in-hand with the business. And at first glance, it might appear His invovlement seemed very limited on the initial 07 Gt500, and ford gt run,but at the same time its picking up, as the stangs are being reworked with packages from SA, through the collective successful collaboration team of Ford,svt, and SA. But lets not forget,... Shelby's name and his presents, stands on its own,not to mention the actual Shelby pkgs. as well as registry,making these the best of stangs! Imo,thats Huge Involvement in the overall success,marketing and performance of our beloved stang! Yes through Ford and svt, they have help SA out of debt,...but lets not forget it was mutual in effect ,that lets face it, Ford themselves aren't doing soo good themselves overall through their entire line-up,(also millions in the whole), so putting (using) "The Shelby name" back on a new retro very popular designed stang was a very wise and shrewd marketing decision by Ford and svt,...and Carroll. It not only continued to an already successful sales of the retro design stang,but it put "One Of The Biggest, Most Respective Icons Name in Ford's Racing History" back on their product. It also established a HUGE Buzz amoungst the Ford performance product and enthusiasts, as it continues onward (hopefully for a very long time). Ohhh, He has contributed Alright, and imo, has alot more clout than more than folks think. ;) Man,I hope I even make it to my 80's,much less be able to shift a 6-speed as well as he still does! :burnout: You show em Carroll! ;) B)

Archived