TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which heat exchanger

08svt

I have a 2008 GT 500 with pulley, cold air tune. I run open track events a couple of times a year. There are two AFCO exchangers with and without fans. Wondering if anyone knows how much of a difference there is and between the two would be the better choice for my needs. Thanks in advance

If you decide to go with the AFCO Heat Exchanger get the one with fans. I went with the C&R/Shelby set up and believe (this is my opinion) that the C&R/Shelby H E is the best choice. The quality is so good that it is a shame to have to cover it up by installing it.

Mike

I have a 2008 GT 500 with pulley, cold air tune. I run open track events a couple of times a year. There are two AFCO exchangers with and without fans. Wondering if anyone knows how much of a difference there is and between the two would be the better choice for my needs. Thanks in advance

If I were going to road race a car, I'd opt for no fans.

If I were going to Auto-X a car, I'd opt FOR fans.

If I were going to drag race a car, I'd opt FOR fans.

If I were only going to use it for mild street driving, I wouldn't even get a aftermarket heat exchanger.

If I were going to mod the car (such as I did), you need a larger cap HE AND fans.

Street/Track? HE & fans.

As you can see, there's only *one* way I personally would opt out of using fans. Track driving where the air-flow never slows down enough to need fans.

Heat soak happens when there is no air-flow over the heat exchanger. Fans remedy that.

AFCO and C&R are both "good". I opted for the Revan Racing/C&R heat exchanger AND radiator because I have some NASCAR experience and ALL we used was C&R in the cars/trucks. I figured if it's good enough for NASCAR (national series'), it's more than good enough for me.

If money is a big issue, I'd feel fine using a AFCO or even a CJ ,Boss or 2011+ Heat Exchanger.

What I learned is, the more you mod (i.e. amount of boost psi & length of time on boost), the more you'll NEED a better heat exchanger.

If you're dead stock.....ehhhhhhhh <??SHRUG??>?

HTH,

Phill

If I were going to road race a car, I'd opt for no fans.

If I were going to Auto-X a car, I'd opt FOR fans.

If I were going to drag race a car, I'd opt FOR fans.

If I were only going to use it for mild street driving, I wouldn't even get a aftermarket heat exchanger.

If I were going to mod the car (such as I did), you need a larger cap HE AND fans.

Street/Track? HE & fans.

As you can see, there's only *one* way I personally would opt out of using fans. Track driving where the air-flow never slows down enough to need fans.

Heat soak happens when there is no air-flow over the heat exchanger. Fans remedy that.

AFCO and C&R are both "good". I opted for the Revan Racing/C&R heat exchanger AND radiator because I have some NASCAR experience and ALL we used was C&R in the cars/trucks. I figured if it's good enough for NASCAR (national series'), it's more than good enough for me.

If money is a big issue, I'd feel fine using a AFCO or even a CJ ,Boss or 2011+ Heat Exchanger.

What I learned is, the more you mod (i.e. amount of boost psi & length of time on boost), the more you'll NEED a better heat exchanger.

If you're dead stock.....ehhhhhhhh <??SHRUG??>?

HTH,

Phill

Sorry, but my personal experience disagrees with your assessment. I actually didn't have an overheating problem on the road course the first year on track because I had only made suspension changes. But then I added the S/C pulley. And after going into limp-mode several times within just 3 laps time, I put in the AFCO H/E (sans fans) & Fluidyne radiator. And what do you know......I went into limp-mode after 4 laps during the next race. Granted the ambient temperatures were over 100 degrees. Still, the following season I put in the C&R (ReVan) H/E & radiator. I ran 20 solid minutes at 9/10ths in 100 degree heat, and never missed a beat! At one point (for several laps) in the Mid-America late-model exhibition race, the car was trading spots for P1-P3. I finished with full power.

For me there is only ONE choice for GT500 H/E's or radiators. C&R!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to mention you as an example Jeff, but the original is so much better than me paraphrasing. :salute:

If money is a big issue' date=' I'd feel fine using a AFCO or even a CJ ,[b']Boss[/b] or 2011+ Heat Exchanger.

A Boss heat exchanger is news to me. :finger:

A Boss heat exchanger is news to me. :finger:

As Homer would say.....DOH!

Now I gotta go find that third one I saw. Roush Stage 3 perhaps?

Phill

When I did my C&R H/E I also put in the C&R radiator (drop head temps by 50 *) well worth the $$$

Same here (Revan-C&R Rad. & HE). Although the radiator didn't increase the amount of coolant required by much (VERY little, as a matter of fact) it is a substatially bigger core which equates to better cooling. Anytime you increase horsepower, you increase heat. And that heat needs to be removed.

Phill

Nothing really against C&R, but the AFCO dual fan heat exchanger moves something like 500 cfm more than the C&R Shelby unit (and I believe all the C&R units for the GT500 are the same size). Up at altitude at least, you need all the additional cooling you can get to combat the heat soak, so I prefer the AFCO simply because it moves more air at around the same price. Quality built unit, very nice welds, and impressive temp drops datalogged on our dyno at a mile above sea level.

Up here, all stock GT500's have heat soak issues - street driving, on the road course, etc.

Get the HE with fans at a minimum, and an upgraded radiator is icing on the cake if you can swing it - AFCO makes one of those for the GT500 also.

Archived