TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thumping/rattling noise from right front wheel

GT350conv

Had the 2012 SVTPP Conv out today and noticed a thumping and/or rattling noise from the right front wheel. At first I thought it may have been the lug nuts were loose. I pulled over to check, but they were not loose and verified 100ft/lbs with torque wrench when I returned home. Jacked up the car and checked for any caster/camber movement and checked the strut bolts. The brakes work fine and appear to be normal. I just turned 6k miles today. Wondering if anyone else has run into this or just some ideas to look for.

Rob from CT

TSB

11-10-17

• GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/1/2011

Publication Date: October 14, 2011

FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang

The article supersedes TSB 11-7-8 to update the production fix date and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 Mustangs vehicles built on or before 8/1/2011 may exhibit a grunt/creak/chirp/ squeak noise from the front lower control arm hydro bushing. These noises may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps, pot holes, rough roads and driveway approaches.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Use chassis ears on the lower control arm hydro bushing bracket tabs to verify noise is coming from the hydro bushing. The hydro bushing is the large diameter bushing at the rear of the control arm.

1. If the noise is not confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, do not continue with this article. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-00 for normal diagnostics.
    2. If the noise is confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, replace the lower control arm that is making the noise. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME CR3Z-3078-B Arm Assy - Right Front CR3Z-3079-B Arm Assy - Left Front W710141-S439 Lower Arm Rear Bolt W709865-S439 Lower Arm Front Bolt W710909-S439 Steering Gear Bolt W711123-S439 Ball Joint Bolt W520215-S440 Lower Arm Rear Nut W520214-S440 Ball Joint Nut W713882-S437 Rack Nut

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part. OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 111017A 2011-2012 Mustang: Replace One (1) Lower Control Arm, Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.2 Hrs. 111017B 2011-2012 Mustang: Replace Two (2) Lower Control Arms, Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 3078 42

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

Thanks for the info Grabber. Production date from the door jamb is 2/11. It's just odd I noticed it on my way home today. The noise sounds more like light consistent taps to the wheel with a ball peen hammer. Grunt sound maybe, but no creak, chirp, or squeak which would be constant of a worn/loose bushing. I will have a more in depth look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again, Rob

Thanks for the info Grabber. Production date from the door jamb is 2/11. It's just odd I noticed it on my way home today. The noise sounds more like light consistent taps to the wheel with a ball peen hammer. Grunt sound maybe, but no creak, chirp, or squeak which would be constant of a worn/loose bushing. I will have a more in depth look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again, Rob

So your car was built on 2/11 which is before 8/1/2011. sounds like Ford upgraded the bushings after 8/11.

This gives you a valid reason to have the dealer look at it. If you do go in Print the TSB by doing a copy paste or send me your e-mail and I will shoot you a PDF copy of the TSB.

Hope you find the problem soon.

Rob

I appreciate it. Going to the dealer to diagnose a squeak has got to be one of the worst warranty experiences. They look at you and think here we go again, another customer that is hearing things. Having the TSB in hand will definitely be helpful.

Rob

I appreciate it. Going to the dealer to diagnose a squeak has got to be one of the worst warranty experiences. They look at you and think here we go again, another customer that is hearing things. Having the TSB in hand will definitely be helpful.

Rob

Rob

Agreed. Knowledge is power and if you walk in with that paper, they have to help you because it is a known problem.

Let us know what happens.

No, definetly not in this case. Occured at any speed with & without brakes applied. I had the wheel off yesterday and there is no loose/damaged items. I used a pry bar and a block of wood on the contol arm to see if I can get it to move- nothing at all. However, I found a small stone wedged in the control arm bushing which may have been enough to send vibration feedback through unibody. I take it out again on Wednesday to see if there are any changes and report my findings.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, that stone which I removed a few weeks back must have been the culprit. Had it out today and no unusual noises. Those lower control arms trap all kinds of debris with that open channel design!!! Thanks again guys for your input.

Archived