TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Representation on the Forums

AaronHartwell

Like many, I'm struggling to figure out my options to find all-season tires for my 2011 GT500 SVTPP.

After reading countless threads on this forum and others where GT500 owners are trying hard to solve a tough and common problem it occurred to me that I haven't seen any posts that contain suggestions appearing to come directly from Ford. The exception being the little blurb in the manual about using 18" wheels and suitable tires which nobody seems to do if they change wheels. Most go with 19" or 20" all around.

Does anyone from Ford frequent the forums and contribute ever?

I work for a large software company and we're increasingly realizing the value of forums as a tool for learning about, and interacting with, our customers. Hopefully Ford has realized this as well.

It's entirely possible they're all over the forums and I just haven't noticed.

Aaron

HI Aaron,

I have not seen them on this forum, but they do have an official presence over at "The Mustang Source" forums......they are pretty interactive, concerned and helpful over there...

Frank

While you may not see them posting here, I can tell you that they do in fact read everything of their interest posted here on Team Shelby.

If you dont believe me, Inadvertently leak information on a yet unannounced Ford product, and count the minutes until you receive the wrath of FMC. :drop::hysterical2:

The over/under is about 45 for you sporting folks.

While you may not see them posting here, I can tell you that they do in fact read everything of their interest posted here on Team Shelby.

If you dont believe me, Inadvertently leak information on a yet unannounced Ford product, and count the minutes until you receive the wrath of FMC. :drop::hysterical2:

The over/under is about 45 for you sporting folks.

Yep, agreed on all points.

One TS member had his warranty claim denied because he posted (here) that he took his car to a Drag Strip and laid down a couple of passes. He says his Dealer had the communication thread printed out when they denied his claim for having a pulley on his otherwise stock Eaton Supercharger...Even though the Magnason-Moss Federal Warranty Act says the burdon of proof is on the dealer (to PROVE the modification was the source of the failure).

Since they couldn't prove a pulley caused the failure, they used the "Competition Use" against him to void his claim.

I had a case with something I wrote on a (my own) Harley-Davidson related forum. I posted a "sensitive document" (a wiring schematic of a newly released Delphi EFI system) on my forum that was given to me by a dealer employee. HE was called to the carpet (they somehow knew it was he that provided it) and he said they had a whole file on me, including my (real) Name, Address, what kind of bikes I owned, how much I rode them, what mods I had on them, etc. etc. etc.

I never made a warranty claim (I do my own work) but I have a feeling if I did, I would have been denied.

Bottom line: Watch what you write on the forums.

Big Brother is watching you,

Phill

Tire Rack has a great search engine with surveys from consumers for various tires. The tires are ranked by category and the rankings are color coded by the performance of the tire.

While nothing is shown in all season tires for a 2011 GT500, a performance winter is listed, Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero, in original equipment sizes that is highly ranked for cold weather driving. You can confirm that the sizes are for SVTPP.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+240+Sottozero&frontTire=54VR9240SZXLV2&rearTire=835VR9240SZXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2011&autoModel=Mustang Shelby GT500&autoModClar=Coupe&tab=Survey

Grabber - There are lots of large companies using blogs and forums as a way to learn about and communicate with their customers. Obviously there are ways for a company to mess that up if the folks representing the company are not properly trained but it can be a really good thing for the company and the customer if done right. On a seperate note, it says your in the NW. I'm in the Seattle area, Duvall to be exact.

Kona and Dubbs - Yep, common sense goes a long ways. I would hope most people realize the forum is a public place and not post things that they don't expect people to read. :)

Lesd - Thanks for the tip. There are plenty of online researches where everyday people are trying to figure things out on their own and with the help from others like them. Crowdsourcing solutions to common problems is also great. No shortage of that going on today.

Aaron

On a seperate note, it says your in the NW. I'm in the Seattle area, Duvall to be exact.

Maybe you ought to drive down to Battleground WA for my party that I do every May. This year it is on May 26th.

Here's what we do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDS5T5krdBI

It is almost impossible that you will find anyone from Ford, stating they are a Ford employee, participating in a forum. The only exception would be someone from a PR department. My company explicitly forbids me from saying who I work for in any public media without corporate approval. It's hazy - sometimes you can name your employer but not state a company position. But in practice the two are indistinguishable. In comparison, if I work for the Fribble company that makes Fratzes, it wouldn't make much sense or matter to anyone if I said so in a discussion on soft drinks. But if I said so in a forum of Fratzes that happen to be manufactured by other companies in addition to the Fribble company, it can be considered a "company statement" and I'm not about to represent the company unless it is my job. And if someone does so whose job it is not, they're not going to be considered for further employment.

Twobj- I'm sure what you're saying makes good sense but you lost me with the fribbles and fratzes thing.

In any event as I said there are plenty of failure scenarios when you have a reps from a company interacting directly with its customer base. But there are ways it can be done to the benefit of both the company and customer.

I got the answer I was seeking regarding Ford folks participating in the forums. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Aaron

It is almost impossible that you will find anyone from Ford, stating they are a Ford employee, participating in a forum. The only exception would be someone from a PR department. My company explicitly forbids me from saying who I work for in any public media without corporate approval. It's hazy - sometimes you can name your employer but not state a company position. But in practice the two are indistinguishable. In comparison, if I work for the Fribble company that makes Fratzes, it wouldn't make much sense or matter to anyone if I said so in a discussion on soft drinks. But if I said so in a forum of Fratzes that happen to be manufactured by other companies in addition to the Fribble company, it can be considered a "company statement" and I'm not about to represent the company unless it is my job. And if someone does so whose job it is not, they're not going to be considered for further employment.

I agree. I know some of the automotive magazine writers check it, but they have to be careful making comments. One many years back made a comment about what a great swap the 5.0 motor would make in your SVO Fox-bodied Mustang if you blew the turbo 2.3 motor. The SVO guys put him in their ‘Hall of Shame” and he still gets hate mail from the purists. :drop:

There is a Ford customer service representative that regularly posts on the StangNet Forum. She contacts owners who post concerns they have and tries to help and resolve them. I have no idea why it's that particular forum, and why I've seen no posts here.

Some years back I was at a Fun Ford Weekend Event at Milan Dragway in Milan Mi.and there were a couple of guys from Ford walking around the pit area jotting down VIN numbers. It was rumored later that the info was used to deny a few of the participants warranty claims. My cars will never end up at a dealership for repairs, not even warranty work...........I'll do it myself, eat the cost and sleep just fine.

Yes, Ford does frequent here very often. Yes, so does GM among others.

One time one my HarleyTC88 forum I went over the member list and was surprised to find some "@harleydavidson.com" addresses amongst my members.

One of them was THE Chief (head) engineer for the (then new) Harley Twin-Cam project.

I also had 3 major motorcycle magazine editors on my list and MANY top industry names that I immediately recognized (along with a "technical Guru" and published author on Motorcycles).

They used my forum to establish the need for new products. Both factory and aftermarket.

I'd assume the same is happening here and on all of the other "top" forums on the 'Net.

Phill (lesson learned!)

Archived