TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What other cars did you consider before buying your Shelby?

Ecrissman

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Gt500, deals still arent where I would like them to be. I was curious what other cars you may have considered before buying your Shelby? At this price there are a lot of vehicles that could be bought new and used.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Gt500, deals still arent where I would like them to be. I was curious what other cars you may have considered before buying your Shelby? At this price there are a lot of vehicles that could be bought new and used.

The '12 GT500s are really dead meat at this point and should have massive discounts. Consider a used Z06 if ya can't find a new 500 at a realistic price. The Z06 is a fantastic piece of automotive engineering and will run the table on a GT500 of any year.

There are other cars? :headscratch:

Seriously; I was looking for a Bullit when I stumbled across a few SGT's still sitting on a handfull of lots within 150miles of me. The one I ended up with had sat on the dealer's lot for over a year. Thats what they get for marking them up. I ended up paying several thousand under sticker because Ford was running rebates at the time.

I agree the Shelby's should have massive discounts on them. However dealers around me are really holding their numbers. I am suprised, thought it should be an ideal time in the middle of winter, and with the hype of the 2013 to score a great deal. So far nothing exceptional. I would consider the vette but it does need back seats, I still have a family and the wife would never go for it. I checked out camaro's didnt like them. Nothing else really appealed to me but the Shelby, not to mention it is right at the top of my budget. This all started of christmas vacation watching the velocity channel and messing around with my AMX. I decided i needed a modern muscle car! It has to be bought at the right price though because as someone said they are dead once the 2013 comes out.. its just out of my budget.

There are a few cars to choose from when it comes to this kind of performance for the money. For me I much prefer a Ford. My past experience with Mustangs and F-series trucks may not have always been perfect, but they alway got me home. For this last purchase, I wasn't sure if I should keep my 06' GT Conv. and go for the Boss or trade in the 06' on a 2012 GT350 Conv or hold out for a 2013 GT500 Conv. After searching for a few weeks I picked up a 2012 Race Red Convertible SVTPP stripe delete with navigation for $53k and I traded my 06" in. The GT500's are limited production cars, great drivability characteristics, and there is minimal maintenance. Also, no Gas Guzzler Tax for 2011 & 2012. I'm certain that I won't see another one locally with these options. The vettes are a nice car but they are everywhere. I always spent big bucks on mods and personalizing my past toys and in the end, no one pays any more for your personal touch or TLC. With the latest toy, I don't have to do anything to it. It's perfect the way Ford intended it to be.

Nothing really. The black/red '08 SGT convertible was love at first sight. It didn't really matter that Barrett Jackson was part of the branding, the color combo was just right. Ford didn't do a GT500 in that combination until 2009 and frankly I still like the SGT over the GT500.

Late in 2005 I was at a local Chevy dealership working a deal on a new Z06 when a good friend called to tell me about a new Shelby Ford was working on.

Needless to say, I excused myself and started researching the GT500. 9 months later I had one on order.

Wow some great pricing for that convertible. I am looking at one svtpp+nav+glass roof around $52,000. Another with svtpp+recaro is at $50,00.00. Both seem ok to me but not great. What do you think?

On a side note any thought on the glass top?

I was out on the hunt for a 500. The only other option I would have went for would be a well modded low mile terminator or I was looking are a 427r roush. Biggest thing for me between the roush and the Shelby's are the rousges are maxed out to their capabilities Tue Shelby's just beginning. Also roush not making body parts for more than 5 years was a concern

Provided the units are new with little to no miles on them, it's not a bad deal. I would go for the SVTPP glass roof and the navigation which is a great enhancement. I've reviewed many 11's nationwide via AutoTrader.com with 3-12k on the clock and they were going for 47-50k nation wide. Most of them had no navigation. Bear in mind, these are USED cars and will not quailify for NEW car financing rates. I was able to get a 3.4%APR @ 72mo 2 weeks ago. an 11' would have been around 5%. The older the car, the higher the rate, and lower the term.

I like the glass roof option and it;s a big hit at car shows and again, there currently arn't many of them around. I personally enjoy the unobstructed veiw of no roof at all in a convertible. It also keeps me off the tracks! One of my concerns would be not allowing water to dry on the surface as rain and some hard well water will etch the glass over time. You can apply regular car wax to help protect the surface.

The best advice is to get what you want. There is nothing worse than saying, "I should of............." to save $3k.

Its crazy how many people cross shop our cars to the c63 amg. Are they that comparable??

Not really comparable but the C63 would be a good alternative. Excellent motor making 451hp and 7 speed auto. They're more expensive new but worth the money IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a 2011 with svt, nav, car cover, and glass roof for 45700. Car only has 524 miles. Sticker was 57700. It was a raffle car that someone won and sold back to the dealer so the only time it was driven was by the dealer to the raffle sites. Still has plastic on the dash and glove box tag. Warranty started in Dec so it's as good as new. As far as loan goes....I got 1.77% on it so your credit would have to be aweful to get a 5% rate. Only thing I don't like about glass roof is that it breaks up the stripe pattern.

I looked at 2002-2006 Porsche 911 Turbo and Twin Turbo and Chevy Corvette Z06 oh and the Dodge Viper. I opted for the GT500 due to the amount of power and accessories you get for the price, insurance, and maintenance doesn't rob the bank. I'm overall happy at this time and constantly looking for parts to gain more power and tidy up the suspension.

I considered a corvette as well, but I have always had a Ford in the stable. The corvettes are nice looking, but the discount on a Z06 around here is just crazy. $63K knocked down to $48,000. Why such a huge discount each year? Is the car really that cheap! Most owners complain that the interior is very cheap!

I have had snakes on the side of my car for 14 years and gald I kept with them!

My wife asked if I would trade for the '13. My answer was no! I like what I have. I think the '13 will be priced much higher than the '12.

Who cares if the '13 has 650 hp. You need to be able to plant the tires properly to get a good run...which Ford may have improved. So the car may shave a few tenths in 0-60 or .5 seconds in the quarter mile.. The car does 200+ MPH...where is one going to acheive this feat without killing himself or someone else? This car is about bragging rights for it's capabilities.

I'm very curious what the price will be for the '13. There is maximum price point that the masses will pay for a Ford Mustang. Will $60K, $65K or $70K be too much...especially with a $61K fully loaded ZL1 about to be released. Maybe the '12 is a good buy!.

Archived