TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A new angle for the Super Snake/KR gauges...............

While they are available (at some point they won't be) I decided to pick up a spare set of CS carbon fiber gauges and a correct gauge pod. I did some research on the original vendors site and found what mounting options and accessories they listed for these gauges.

018.jpg

I started with the right gauge because I knew if there was going to be an issue, it would be with the right gauge hitting the inside of the gauge pod wall when the gauge was installed at an angle toward the driver.

020-1.jpg

021-2.jpg

This one fit quite nicely, the rest will not be a problem, once I modify the other two "U shaped" mounting brackets.

017.jpg

R

While they are available (at some point they won't be) I decided to pick up a spare set of CS carbon fiber gauges<SNIP>

How do I go about getting a set of the Shelby CF faced GAUGES?

I don't want the pod, just the gauges and I've never seen them for sale, by themselves.

You have a order or part number for them?

TIA,

Phill

While they are available (at some point they won't be) I decided to pick up a spare set of CS carbon fiber gauges and a correct gauge pod. I did some research on the original vendors site and found what mounting options and accessories they listed for these gauges.

I started with the right gauge because I knew if there was going to be an issue, it would be with the right gauge hitting the inside of the gauge pod wall when the gauge was installed at an angle toward the driver.

R

I am very interested in how you angled the gauges (that is my gripe about them). Are the angle pieces items you fabricated or bought? Thanks for posting all this. I, too, would like to see the finished product. Thanks.

Jim

Are the angle pieces items you fabricated or bought?

I bought a set of Red anodized aluminum pieces just like those shown for a kit car I had. I don't remember where I got them from but a friend with a radical blown Model A coupe bought a set a few years after he saw mine. OH, I do remember where I bought mine. It was at a "Bug In" (VW car show/meet & drag race) in Sacramento CA at a vendor's booth. My friend with the Model A bought his someplace on-line, IIRC.

You might try checking with some of the VW/Bug sites on the 'Net?

The only problem I ran into was the hole in the dash (in the pod, in Rbt's case) has to be oblong/egg-shaped so the gauge can sit at a angle through it. The more angle, the more "egg" shape you need. I also had to trim one "leg" on the gauge bracket shorter than the other to compensate for the angle.

No bigge either way in my case as I kept it like that until I sold the car (and wish I still had it!).

Phill

Looks like a great idea Robert. Did you get the gauges and pod from SPP?

I had to provide proof of Super Snake ownership to purchase the gauges. Actually I already had a new fuel pressure gauge. I had problem with the sending unit and the gauge kit was shipped to me a few months ago, the sending unit was the issue. That is why I decided to buy the other two gauges to complete the set. The pod I bought from a member on this forum.

BTW - The Fuel Pressure gauge is the expensive one, over $200. The oil and boost are around $100ea.

The angle rings are OEM to the gauge manufacturer so they fit these gauges like they are made for them.

R

I had to provide proof of Super Snake ownership to purchase the gauges.

That's odd.

They're not exclusive to Super Snakes so I wonder why that is?

I can buy them if I buy a pod too but I don't want the pod. I'm thinking of using a Boss 302 pod on my 2010 GT500 because the Shelby pod won't work and i don't like the A-pillar pods.

I guess I'll stick with my Ford Racing theme and get a oil temp gauge direct from Autometer (the company that makes the FRPP gauges).

I just thought it'd be nice to have Shelby gauges in a Shelby GT500.

I guess not!

Thanks Robert,

Phill

That's odd.

They're not exclusive to Super Snakes so I wonder why that is?

I can buy them if I buy a pod too but I don't want the pod. I'm thinking of using a Boss 302 pod on my 2010 GT500 because the Shelby pod won't work and i don't like the A-pillar pods.

I guess I'll stick with my Ford Racing theme and get a oil temp gauge direct from Autometer (the company that makes the FRPP gauges).

I just thought it'd be nice to have Shelby gauges in a Shelby GT500.

I guess not!

Thanks Robert,

Phill

Phill - In reality, for the cost of each of these gauges, plus the pod, plus the wiring harness, $594 is not an unrealitic price for the gauges as a package.

But I also understand that if you don't need or don't want the dash mount pod, then paying for that item in the package is a waste of $$$ for you.

When the discussion started about the gauge pods warping in the sun, and a member on this forum offered a new one for $75, I jumped all over it. I already had the fuel pressure gauge kit so I decided to also buy the oil and boost to complete the set as a spare set up for my Super Snake. Then, I started thinking about angles and options for mounting.

R

I had to provide proof of Super Snake ownership to purchase the gauges. Actually I already had a new fuel pressure gauge. I had problem with the sending unit and the gauge kit was shipped to me a few months ago, the sending unit was the issue. That is why I decided to buy the other two gauges to complete the set. The pod I bought from a member on this forum.

BTW - The Fuel Pressure gauge is the expensive one, over $200. The oil and boost are around $100ea.

The angle rings are OEM to the gauge manufacturer so they fit these gauges like they are made for them.

R

Thank you.

Hurry up already. lol.

I am sure it will look amazing.

Thank you for sharing.

The rings need to be swiveled so that all gauge faces are as close as possible to the same height and angle, but here is a quick assembly and view from a drivers angle....................

004-8.jpg

The other side, again, they need some angle ring tweaking,.............

0022-2.jpg

The underside................

007.jpg

The spacing between the gauges is closer to the right and it may require a rat tail or half round file to get the spacing exactly right. I did not examine the pod, before I installed these gauges, but it may even be the original holes that are not drilled exactly the same distance apart?

R

Phill - In reality, for the cost of each of these gauges, plus the pod, plus the wiring harness, $594 is not an unrealitic price for the gauges as a package.

But I also understand that if you don't need or don't want the dash mount pod, then paying for that item in the package is a waste of $$$ for you.

When the discussion started about the gauge pods warping in the sun, and a member on this forum offered a new one for $75, I jumped all over it. I already had the fuel pressure gauge kit so I decided to also buy the oil and boost to complete the set as a spare set up for my Super Snake. Then, I started thinking about angles and options for mounting.

R

Wonder how many owners have experienced gauge pod warp? You would think if there are enough instances then SA would move to an A pillar set up. That's just my opinion though.

Wonder how many owners have experienced gauge pod warp?

I've seen quite a few reported here on TS, myself.

The center dash gauge pod is used to replicate the old/retro Shelby modified GT500's and I'm assuming *that* is why they didn't use a A-piller mount in the first place.

I would of thought that if they were warping en mass, SAI would re-engineer them with some gussets built into the underside, or thicker material, etc. rather than change to a pillar mount.

The dash-centered gauge pods retain some of the "Shelby DNA" from past years, and that's a part of the Super Snake "heritage" (IMO).

Phill

I've seen quite a few reported here on TS, myself.

The center dash gauge pod is used to replicate the old/retro Shelby modified GT500's and I'm assuming *that* is why they didn't use a A-piller mount in the first place.

I would of thought that if they were warping en mass, SAI would re-engineer them with some gussets built into the underside, or thicker material, etc. rather than change to a pillar mount.

The dash-centered gauge pods retain some of the "Shelby DNA" from past years, and that's a part of the Super Snake "heritage" (IMO).

Phill

I have seen them mostly on the GT350. Funny that Shelby didn't decide to use the FRPP gauge pod after the release of the Boss 302 LS.

But if it's part of Shelby DNA, so be it!

I didn't see the center gauge pod on the first Super Snake either. What were the dashes/gauge pods made of back then? I like the SS mod, but I believe there are areas that can be improved both in materials and construction. The gauge pod is one of them followed closely by the stick on quarter scoops.

I didn't see the center gauge pod on the first Super Snake either. What were the dashes/gauge pods made of back then? I like the SS mod, but I believe there are areas that can be improved both in materials and construction. The gauge pod is one of them followed closely by the stick on quarter scoops.

I don't remember exactly where I saw it but I remember seeing it and going, "OHHHHHH, *THAT'S* why Shelby made it like that for the (new style) Super Snake".

Personally, I think it is too amature looking. It looks like someone made templates from pieces of cardboard and went from there (all flat panels). Hell, *I* can build something like that and my name isn't "Shelby".....

JMHO,

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

In the link below the original 1967 Super Snake add-on gauge set is shown in the Photo Gallery link. I like the 2007-up Super Snake gauge pod much better..............

http://www.supersnake.org/

R

I like the 2007-up Super Snake gauge pod much better..............

http://www.supersnake.org/

Ditto.

I wish I could remember where I saw that gauge pod that looks like the current one. It might'a been on a GT350, I don't remember. All I know is when I saw it, it became clear to me why Shelby made the current one that resembles it.

It *definately* wasn't that one. And if I remember right, there's only ONE retro Super Snake, right?

Isn't that '55 Chevy in the background the one that didn't sell at BJ? I think it has a Allison V-12 in it and the driver sits damn near in the back seat. Good concept, poor application.

Phill

Ditto.

I wish I could remember where I saw that gauge pod that looks like the current one. It might'a been on a GT350, I don't remember. All I know is when I saw it, it became clear to me why Shelby made the current one that resembles it.

It *definately* wasn't that one. And if I remember right, there's only ONE retro Super Snake, right?

Isn't that '55 Chevy in the background the one that didn't sell at BJ? I think it has a Allison V-12 in it and the driver sits damn near in the back seat. Good concept, poor application.

Phill

Yes, only one original Super Snake Mustang, the one I linked.

I think the original GT350 may have had a dash mounted gauge array, maybe not three, but it seems to me that I have seen that.

Something else that is Super Snake now, that was not Super Snake in the old days...........the 1/4 window block-off plate option. This was on a GT350R (I believe), and was/is offered on the current Super Snake if someone chooses not to have the upper scoops.

I know there has been much discussion about the stick-on 1/4 window scoops, but realistically, "in the day" (1967-up), if it didn't have upper and lower side scoops, it wasn't a Shelby. Yes the upper and lower scoops were fully fucntional on the old cars, the lowers for rear brake cooling and the uppers for passenger compartment venting, but in reality, in this A/C world it wouldn't be realistic to remove the rear 1/4 windows and build a system that can be opened and closed to vent in interior with functional upper scoops, and the rear brakes are cooled by under car duct work installed during the Super Snake conversion.

R

the functional lower scoops were on the earlier models. sometime in 1968, shelby stop making the lower scoops functional.

If it was 1968ish when the lower scoops became a visual only/non-functional item, it may have only been the 1965-1967 "Shelby built" Shelby's that were functional and the 1968-up Ford assy. line Shelby's were not?

R

• 3 weeks later...

How do I go about getting a set of the Shelby CF faced GAUGES?

I don't want the pod, just the gauges and I've never seen them for sale, by themselves.

You have a order or part number for them?

TIA,

Phill

Mi amigo Phil:

You can get here.....$550.00

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/ga1450.html

Mi amigo Phil:

You can get here.....$550.00

http://www.blueovali...com/ga1450.html

Amigo,

That link is for the complete Shelby gauge POD and gauges. I was wondering about just the Carroll Shelby 'signed' gauges, without having to buy the pod. My desire is to use a Ford Racing Boss 302 dash pod but with the CF Autometer (Shelby badged though) gauges. And apparently, Shelby uses two different diameter gauges. One size for the earlier (2007-2009) dash mounted gauge pods and another size for the later (2010=2012) A-pillar mounted gauges.

I have it covered now though. A friend offered to give me his gauges in exchange for putting a set of new gauges in their place.

I'm just waiting for better/warmer weather and he's waiting to find the exact size of gauge to replace his SS gauges with (A-pillar style).

Thanks for the link,

Phill

Amigo,

That link is for the complete Shelby gauge POD and gauges. I was wondering about just the Carroll Shelby 'signed' gauges, without having to buy the pod. My desire is to use a Ford Racing Boss 302 dash pod but with the CF Autometer (Shelby badged though) gauges. And apparently, Shelby uses two different diameter gauges. One size for the earlier (2007-2009) dash mounted gauge pods and another size for the later (2010=2012) A-pillar mounted gauges.

I have it covered now though. A friend offered to give me his gauges in exchange for putting a set of new gauges in their place.

I'm just waiting for better/warmer weather and he's waiting to find the exact size of gauge to replace his SS gauges with (A-pillar style).

Thanks for the link,

Phill

Amigo Phil:

I won this yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260962593138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And now I am wonder what I am going to do? :idea:

Archived