TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake pads for track day

flo

Hello,

I would like to change the brake pads to go to the track (2 or 3 times per year).

The discs brakes rotors and calipers are stock.

The OEM brake pads are very dusty so I'm thinking to go with Ceramic brake pads like the Hawk Performance Ceramic for a street use and change the brake pads when I go to the track.

I will change the front and rear brake pads or I will keep the rear ceramic brake pads if it's possible.

I don't know what type of brake pads to use at the track, there are so many brands and compounds.

For example

HAWK HPS, HPC PLUS, DTC-series, blue, black ...

EBC Green Stuff, red Stuff, Yellow Stuff

FERODO DS2500 DS3000

AP RACING APF401 APF402 APF403 APF404 APF405

CARBON LORRAINE RC5+ RC6 RC6E RC8-R (RC8-R has a radiator effect between the back plate of the brake pads and the piston of the brake caliper)

PAGID RS 4-2-1 Black

RS 4-2 Blue

RS 4-4 orange

RS 5 Blue

RS 7-1 Black

RS 14 Black

RS 15 Grey

RS 19 Yellow

RS 29 yellow

S-Line

Some brake pads are only for a track use but may be some of them can still be use on the street whith cautiouness... I don't know.

What do you think ?

Hawk HP plus will be fine. I have been using them for 2 years at the track with the stock Brembo calipers. They are reasonable cost as well. Try to keep front and rear pads the same for now.

You may also want to consider a different brake fluid...something like Motul 660 that has a high boiling point. Start looking for replacement rotors... you will eat those up. Van at Revan racing can also set you up with a racing tune for road racing. Helmet, gloves, shoes and lunch and you are good to go..

Have fun!

M.

PFC 01 Compound, Also, consider using ATE blue for brake fluid. I ran it for years for HPDE and never had a failure. Its much less expensive and has some distinct advantages, one of which is metal containers, less likely to accumulate moisture, the other the color lets you know you have flushed the system.

For the brake pads, I think I will go with the Hawk HP PLUS but I would like to have a better understanding of the brake race compound.

Blue 9012

HT-10

HT-14

DTC-60

DTC-70

seems to be popular but how are they ?

For the brake pads, I think I will go with the Hawk HP PLUS but I would like to have a better understanding of the brake race compound.

Blue 9012

HT-10

HT-14

DTC-60

DTC-70

seems to be popular but how are they ?

Great if used on the track, but the race componds are made to use hot and will distroy your rotors if street driven in stop and go traffic, even for a short distance -

The HP+ are very rotor friendly for an aggresive pad, I use them on the street during track season May-Oct.

I have a brand new set to install next month before heading out for the 15 hour drive to California then 4 hours to Vegas before using them during the Shelby track event at Spring Mountain.

• 2 months later...

At this time, I think I will use the HP PLUS on the track.

I drive the shelby on the street to go to the track.

What about the DTC 70 on the street. The low operating temperature is very high.

How are they on the street for braking performance ?

I would agree with using the Hawk HP Plus. I just completed about 60 laps at Sebring this past weekend and had very little fade with these pads. I did upgrade the front rotors on my SGT to the Power Slot High Carbon slotted rotors. Some pure race pads are a little tricky for street use and the Hawk HP PLus is a nice medium ground for race and street. I also attended a "brake seminar" at Sebring where it was suggested that following a long track weekend it is adviseable to do a total flush on your brake fluid, and, if future track days are in order, to switch to a higher boilng temp fluid. As a beginner in HPDE, I wanted all the advise I could get to maintain a confidence level when hard braking. hope this is helpful, regards, Larry

I have a Roush Black Jack for a Trak Car and I use the pads that Roush sells on the front and the Hawk HPs on the back. I have twice melted stock rear pads on the track. They can't take the heat. Some good recommendations here.

I recommend Brembo LCF 600 brake fluid and Carbotech brake pads. XP20, XP16, or XP12 for the fronts depending on tire type (R compound, slicks, etc.) and track driving style. XP10s for the rear. Carbotechs are easy on the rotors and relatively low dust producing.

Stay safe!

Kevin

Thank you for your help.

First I will use the HP PLUS with a high temp brake fluid and I will try to use the DTC70 / 60 later.

After the track if I want to use a less dust brake pads with a better performance than the OEM

would you recommend the HAWK CERAMIC or something else ?

Thank you for your help.

First I will use the HP PLUS with a high temp brake fluid and I will try to use the DTC70 / 60 later.

After the track if I want to use a less dust brake pads with a better performance than the OEM

would you recommend the HAWK CERAMIC or something else ?

Yes or Hawk HPS

• 2 weeks later...

Yes or Hawk HPS

I agree on the Hawk HPS being a good choice for the street - I have used it on other vehicles and it provides a noticeable reduction in brake dust and adequate stopping power.

I do not however think you notice any improvement in performance with the HPS pad compared to the stock pad. I used the HPS on my previous Cadillac STS-V and found the initial "bite" and general feel to be a little worse than the factory pad on this car. I also used the HPS on my Z06 and while they felt very comparible to the stock pad on the street, they were horrible at the track.

Just installed the HP PLUS before going to the track :

Good : Very hard initial bite (not hard condition, just finished the bed-in).

Bad : Never seen so dusty brake pads

and a litlle bit noisy on slow brake (even with brake pads grease)

After the track I will install new low dust brake pads... may be ceramic.

I heard that the Performance Ceramic from Hawk wasn't as good as OEM brake pads for brake performance stopping

What do you think ?

Archived