TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2006 & 2007 GT-H Build, ask questions

Was just looking at some of the Shelby photo's from the Shelby American website. This picture shows a couple of the items discussed very well. The painted calipers and the painted lower front spoiler. Some I've seen say that this should not be painted, but on 2006 only, this was painted gloss black which is different than 2007-2008 GT and GT-H. Just a really nice shot of fresh off the production line.

06gth-3.jpg

Edited by JeffJ

Was just looking at some of the Shelby photo's from the Shelby American website. This picture shows a couple of the items discussed very well. The painted calipers and the painted lower front spoiler. Some I've seen say that this should not be painted, but on 2006 only, this was painted gloss black which is different than 2007-2008 GT and GT-H. Just a really nice shot of fresh off the production line.

06gth-3.jpg

That is a good pic. My calipers were (worn away) painted, my lower fascia is painted as shown. Also that must've been a show/media car, look at the tint on those wndows

Edited by Cali_KR

If you look closer at that pic you'll notice there is no production line yet. The GTH shown is/was one of the concept cars that appears to have been taken close to the time the deal with Hertz was signed. It was the Hertz deal that gave Shelby Automobiles the ability to purchase equipment to set up a production line that produced the GT-H, SGT and KR's that we all love.

Steve

If you look closer at that pic you'll notice there is no production line yet. The GTH shown is/was one of the concept cars that appears to have been taken close to the time the deal with Hertz was signed. It was the Hertz deal that gave Shelby Automobiles the ability to purchase equipment to set up a production line that produced the GT-H, SGT and KR's that we all love.

Steve

Nice, I was taking a second look at the dark windows after I posted and then figured it had to be a pre-production car. Anyhow, good picture which shows those items. Thanks Steve.

The windowas and lack of Hertz badging on the fender were the tip offs to me.

I am curious though about the front fascia paint. Did they all come from Shelby with the bottom edge and bottom center scoop painted? I've seen some without paint on the lower edge.

Steve

How cool. The GT-H is what kicked started Shelby and was their first Shelby mustang after 36 years. While it's not the bigest HP car and lacks the manual trans for some folks, it does have special place in Shelby history.

The windowas and lack of Hertz badging on the fender were the tip offs to me.

I am curious though about the front fascia paint. Did they all come from Shelby with the bottom edge and bottom center scoop painted? I've seen some without paint on the lower edge.

H0050 is painted.

I've seen cars in the high 480's numbers painted, so to my knowledge all 2006 front facias should be fully painted. I do believe that this was '06 only, all '07's are not.

AJ, another thing I always wondered, the '06 rear letters are drilled, pinned letters. I would assume that this was changed for 07 to speed the production line? I would imagine the template to drill those little letters accross the rear deck was a pain in the arse! Are you also knowledgeable about the first 30 sets of rear mufflers that were not straight? The story is that these were left crooked instead of changed out as that would be a interesting collectibility difference in the future. At least that is what the magazines stated that Amy said.

Edited by JeffJ

I own 07H036, I know that conv GT-H wear 18" rims in order to clear 14" disc brakes.

Now my GT-H looks like she had 13" disc brakes to me.

Someone swaped it or it's a early 07 car that wear 06 GT-H disc brakes?

foto008-1.jpg

Edited by Flatpaolo

I own 07H036, I know that conv GT-H wear 18" rims in order to clear 14" disc brakes.

Now my GT-H looks like she had 13" disc brakes to me.

Someone swaped it or it's a early 07 car that wear 06 GT-H disc brakes?

foto008-1.jpg

To my knowledge the 07 had the 18" rims but still had the same brakes that the 06 have. I would be surprized if someone swaped for smaller brake set up. Maybe AJ can provide some insight.

Edited by H0050

To my knowledge the 07 had the 18" rims but still had the same brakes that the 06 have. I would be surprized if someone swaped for smaller brake set up. Maybe AJ can provide some insight.

Correct. Just like the 2006 GTH cars the 2007 GTH brakes were stock Mustang GT brakes. If your GTH has low enough miles you should still see the factory tinnerman spring nut/clip on one of the wheel studs that kept the rotor in place while moving down Ford's assembly line.

Steve

Steve

Sorry Steve, I have to correct you. The production line for the '06 GT-H was left over from the Series I. At least the lifts were. However, you are correct in saying that this is a concept car. It doesn't have the GT-H badge on the fender. We only got those on the production cars, last minute before we needed to start shipping cars to Hertz.

AJ

I've seen cars in the high 480's numbers painted, so to my knowledge all 2006 front facias should be fully painted. I do believe that this was '06 only, all '07's are not.

AJ, another thing I always wondered, the '06 rear letters are drilled, pinned letters. I would assume that this was changed for 07 to speed the production line? I would imagine the template to drill those little letters accross the rear deck was a pain in the arse! Are you also knowledgeable about the first 30 sets of rear mufflers that were not straight? The story is that these were left crooked instead of changed out as that would be a interesting collectibility difference in the future. At least that is what the magazines stated that Amy said.

The Shelby letters came from Scott Drake and since the original cars in the '60s were drilled and with the pins, we had to live with those for a while. But as soon as we started building cars, we have realized how many problems the drilling would cause. Not only for the assembly time, but also for drilling holes in a perfectly good decklid.

Don't believe everything that Amy says/said... We had no choice but to ship the cars with the crooked mufflers. Ford's supplier was having problems that couldn't be solved on time for us to ship the cars. We had contractual obligations to start delivering the vehicles to the various Hertz locations. A crooked muffler wasn't going to stop us from doing that.

The fact that now that imperfection is adding to the collectibility value of the cars is just an added bonus. Amy was actually very pissed that we had to ship cars with the "defective" mufflers.

AJ

I think I've said it in other threads already that Shelby has not done anything to the GT-H or the GT or the KR that would involve draining fluids. Therefore, the stock brakes were untouched on all those cars. The 18" black Bullitt rims were not available to us/Hertz in '06. That's why they were not on the prototype SGTs either.

AJ

The Shelby letters came from Scott Drake and since the original cars in the '60s were drilled and with the pins, we had to live with those for a while. But as soon as we started building cars, we have realized how many problems the drilling would cause. Not only for the assembly time, but also for drilling holes in a perfectly good decklid.

Don't believe everything that Amy says/said... We had no choice but to ship the cars with the crooked mufflers. Ford's supplier was having problems that couldn't be solved on time for us to ship the cars. We had contractual obligations to start delivering the vehicles to the various Hertz locations. A crooked muffler wasn't going to stop us from doing that.

The fact that now that imperfection is adding to the collectibility value of the cars is just an added bonus. Amy was actually very pissed that we had to ship cars with the "defective" mufflers.

AJ

Thanks! When I bought my car, it drove me crazy how off center the left rear tail pipe was. I figured that it must have been hit or backed into something, but there were no scratches or any signs of damage in any way. Then I read in the magazine how 30 sets went out with the left side quite crooked. Those mufflers are now put away in boxes with all the other stock stuff I've removed. I pretty much don't believe anything I read or hear from the media unless I hear it directly from the person involved. Thanks for helping fill alot of these gaps AJ! This will be very helpful in future GT-H owners research on these fantastic cars and a big part of Shelby History. Here's the thread with the picture of my crooked exhaust.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/35029-misaligned-exhaust-tips/page__hl__misaligned__fromsearch__1

Edited by JeffJ

Sorry Steve, I have to correct you. The production line for the '06 GT-H was left over from the Series I. At least the lifts were. However, you are correct in saying that this is a concept car. It doesn't have the GT-H badge on the fender. We only got those on the production cars, last minute before we needed to start shipping cars to Hertz.

AJ

Its my understanding and from my recollection there was very little "equipment" left from the Series 1 bankruptcy. Yes there had to be a few lifts around for the the small amount of work still being performed back then but it was imperative that Hertz money was to be sent upfront so that new equipment, including many lifts, could be purchased and set up in time for the first Mustang GT arrivals.

It was a very somber time for SA following the Series 1 bankruptcy with all the building moves and Carroll taking his personal possessions back to California. In hindsight I should have taken some pics but at the time Shelby American was on life support with a poor prognosis for survival. But then came Daisy, the Ford GT and the 2005 Ford Mustang. As they say the rest is history.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the Series 1 production line.

Steve

Its my understanding and from my recollection there was very little "equipment" left from the Series 1 bankruptcy. Yes there had to be a few lifts around for the the small amount of work still being performed back then but it was imperative that Hertz money was to be sent upfront so that new equipment, including many lifts, could be purchased and set up in time for the first Mustang GT arrivals.

It was a very somber time for SA following the Series 1 bankruptcy with all the building moves and Carroll taking his personal possessions back to California. In hindsight I should have taken some pics but at the time Shelby American was on life support with a poor prognosis for survival. But then came Daisy, the Ford GT and the 2005 Ford Mustang. As they say the rest is history.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the Series 1 production line.

Steve

For the GT-H we used the existing 6 lifts, left over from the Series 1. We tooled them up for those first 500 cars by pretty much bootstrapping everything. Between the summer of '06 and January '07 when we were getting ready for the SGT, that's when we went and grew the actual line to 15 lifts plus the 2 in the back corner. Most of the tools came from the sponsorship deal with MAC Tools.

AJ

Attached is a pic of the GTH production area that used the same general set-up as the Series 1 cars. I'm counting four lifts at the time this pic was taken.

I tried checking Oasis to see how many lifts were in place for the GTH program but its only showing me current lift status of 15 lifts. It is the difference between these 4 lifts and the larger 15 lift production area that I was referring to when I posted that the Hertz money was desperately needed by SAI.

The purchase of these additional lifts required a new layout for the production area which I'm guessing AJ you had a hand in laying out for maximum production?

Steve

GTH Line.jpg

GTH Line.jpg

Attached is a pic of the GTH production area that used the same general set-up as the Series 1 cars. I'm counting four lifts at the time this pic was taken.

I tried checking Oasis to see how many lifts were in place for the GTH program but its only showing me current lift status of 15 lifts. It is the difference between these 4 lifts and the larger 15 lift production area that I was referring to when I posted that the Hertz money was desperately needed by SAI.

The purchase of these additional lifts required a new layout for the production area which I'm guessing AJ you had a hand in laying out for maximum production?

Steve

Hey, I see my car. Oh they all are the same. Thanks for posting Steve.

Steve

Steve,

On your picture you are missing lifts #5 and #6 on the left. When we switched to the SGT we turned the lifts 90 degrees and added another 9 lifts. We have also moved 2 lifts to the back corner (would be the right side of your picture) and the 07 GT-Hs were mostly built on those 2 lifts. I had both hands elbows and the rest of my entire body in laying out the plant.... Actually I'm pretty proud of how well it turned out...

AJ

• 2 years later...

Was searching through the threads and found this one. Just thought I would bump up as some cool info and maybe some new owners will find this of interest. By the way, never answered, were could a new security wire be obtained? Oh, ya A.J. is back :)

Edited by H0050

• 3 months later...

Thought it would be good to bump this thread again since the caliper paint issue came up again on the sale of the 001 Coupe at Barrett Jackson. Obviously a mystery that may never be solved. Steve, AJ nor any other employee of SAI have any recollection of calipers being painted at SAI and say it for sure didn't happen. The request obviously came from Hertz for this to happen, but as AJ states, they were not able to oblige that request at the last minute. I just can't imagine that Hertz locations were told to pull the wheels and spray paint the calipers on the car, but clearly, many cars this was done at some point. All of my pictures of the two cars I rented in 2006 clearly show black painted calipers. When I picked up #102 from the dealership as the first owner, the calipers were black but pealing quite a bit and looked bad. It just wasn't the calipers that were black, it was the caliper bracket with overspray on the lines. So clearly somebody shot them with black spray paint while they were on the car. I've gone through all of my magazine articles, and it is not just the Motor Trend one, but quite a few others who also state black painted calipers as standard on the 06 rental cars. So without a doubt it did happen on many of the cars, but the mystery I guess will always be, by who? If not SAI, then maybe Hertz, but that doesn't make sense that any of them would spend the time to do that. But perhaps, as it was Hertz who made the request.

There's also the crooked mufflers on some cars which is confirmed above and other really great info in this thread. Luckily AJ came on and gave some great info here.

Cool information. My GT H never with to Hertz. It came directly from SAI and had black calipers. It's fun talking about our GT H cars and the mysteries.

Phyllis, are yours still exactly the same as you received it? Is just the caliper black or the bracket around it also? It would be neat to get some detailed photos of it sometime with the wheel off. Also, are the rear brakes black also? I wish that I would have taken pictures when I got my car. They looked so bad to me with the pealing paint, that I pulled all the wheels and repainted them all before the first show that I went to.

This weekend I will look at the calipers and see if I can take some pictures. I like looking at my toys rather than driving them but I do drive then some. With that being said my cars are original and that's how I like them to be. Everyone has different ideas on their cars and that is cool with me. I like looking at everyone's cars.Thanks,MKW

Hi: We purchased 07H427 about 14 months ago and although I had read the thread on the SGT's history that AJ had responded, I had no idea that this thread existed as well. I believe the moderators should move this one to the top as they did with the other thread so it can be preserved and enjoyed because of the history and comments AJ provided.

My wife and I beleive in trying to keep the cars as original as possible as well (except for the silver tape stripes...we have had our other 3 SGT's painted) so this thread is important for the history buffs and future owners of these cars long after we are gone as AJ's comments help to clarify what was happening at the time!

Bobert

Edited by Bobert

For what it is worth I recently picked up a flyer on Ebay that the seller said he got from the NY Autoshow. It is a two-sided document with Ford, Shelby Automobiles and Hertz logos on the top. The headline is "Ponies for Rent" and it describes the 06 GTH mods which included black painted front brake calipers. The back is the line up of the Regional and Shelby mustangs offered in 2007 (although not the Shelby GT, just the GT500).

I have 06h452 and I don't believe the calipers are painted. It is in storage but I'm pretty sure I would remember that. It does have 28K miles so I guess it could have worn off.