TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2006 & 2007 GT-H Build, ask questions

Akos Feher, known as AJ (TS name - Bestia27) was the Production Manager for the GT-H & SGT. He has posted some great info in both the SGT and Terlingua sites from his time with SAI. Use this thread to ask questions and hopefully he will chime in with his knowledge of the program.

AJ is one of the five signatures on the GT-H certifcate that you receive from Shelby when you register your GT-H. Check it out.

Thanks AJ

Edited by H0050

I have to ask aboiut the security wire. Was this really intedned to be for security or was this a Hertz request to detur theft or a novalty item?

Any idea where they can be obtained as several folks have asked the question in the past.

Which security wire? There was one in the traction control on/off button Is that the one you refer to?

It's the one in the engine compartment that connects from the valve cover to the shock tower (I think that's the connection points)

QSS

Now I remember, thanks! It had two purposes:

1. It was a requirement from Hertz, to make sure the engine wasn't messed with.

2. It's a throwback nod to the past. Back in the days of the original 350GTH, some people took the motors out of the rental cars to race them on the weekends in another car. Sometimes they have simply returned the rental car with a stock motor. Hertz started putting these wires on the car and made them part of their return inspection.

AJ

It's the one in the engine compartment that connects from the valve cover to the shock tower (I think that's the connection points)

QSS

Yes, the engine compartment one. The TC clip was just that, a small clip that kept the TC from being disengaged. AJ, maybe Hertz put the security wire on. Someone should post a picture

Now I remember, thanks! It had two purposes:

1. It was a requirement from Hertz, to make sure the engine wasn't messed with.

2. It's a throwback nod to the past. Back in the days of the original 350GTH, some people took the motors out of the rental cars to race them on the weekends in another car. Sometimes they have simply returned the rental car with a stock motor. Hertz started putting these wires on the car and made them part of their return inspection.

AJ

Thanks. Any idea where to obtain this as several folks have asked.

Thanks. Any idea where to obtain this as several folks have asked.

If I recall correctly, these wires came from Hertz, but we installed them on the cars. I don't believe they were anything special. If somebody has a picture of it please post...

AJ

Copied from the SGT site as a piece of info:

why was the GT-H allowed to be produced with the deep draw hood, and not require front end testing, but the SGT would have required testing?

The GT-H was a so called post-title car. Hertz bought the cars from Ford and then sent them to Shelby for conversion. Same thing as taking a GT500 and get the SuperSnake conversion on it. The SGT was sold through Ford dealers, therefore all the mods were made to it before the actual sale. Hence it's called a pre-title vehicle. The federal crash rules are different for pre-title cars than for post-title mods, you have to crash test everything safety related that is modified. The hood plays a huge role in passenger safety.

When we did the KR, we had to re-crash a certain number of hoods and cars to be able to replace the aluminum hood with the carbon fiber one.

AJ

Edited by H0050

Not to burst anybody's bubble, but it was just a stock gage steel wire cut to length and bent up to shape. Maybe Harald can take a picture of his, measure the length and the dimensions of the shape and make one at home.

My $.02

AJ

Copied from SGT site as it pertains to GT-H as well.

AJ, I have a question that has probably been answered before on TS, but I can't find

it. Why the difference in HP ratings between the SGT-H (325) and SGT (319)? Who

determined each?

Tom

The SGT had to be certified (pre-title car) hence the 319HP comes from the fed's dyno. The GT-H (post-title car) was dyno-ed at Ford in Michigan and it didn't have to be a certified number. So the truth is somewhere between and around those numbers. And on top of that California cars got a slightly different tune that was a couple HP less than the 49 state tune...

Actually your true HP depends on where you live, altitude, humidity etc... all those contribute to how much power you have. If you really want to know how many ponies you have under the hood, just throw it on the dyno... and then let us all know so we can start bench-racing :D

AJ

If anyone can help me with this suggestion that would be awesome!!!!!

Larry, if you give me your email I will email a picture of the clip. Its just a bit smaller than a paper clip if I recal. Give me a day or two to get this unless someone beats me to it. You can post email or PM me. I find when I try to post pictures they are always to big.

Edited by H0050

To be totally technical, the GT-H was NOT equipped with the "deep draw hood". The GT-H hood (CS6/8) hood is unique and very different from the "deep draw' hood which has heat extractors. Similar in look, but different. The "security" wire was required by Hertz (per the Hertz Corp Fleet VP) mostly as a throwback to the 1966 program. Hertz definitely wanted to connect the 1966 and 2006 cars, even though SAI would not call the GT-H the "GT-350H". Hope this helps, regards, Larry SAI / Team Shelby Registrar, Hertz GT-H.

Thank you Harald, I have tried that path with no success, if anyone is interested in selling/trading one that would be awesome!!!!

Correct, SAI can not help with this.

As AJ mentions the clips were not preformed as individual clips but were rather formed from steel wire off a spool.

Steve

So what was the purpose of the clip, just to keep rental customers from disangaing the the traction control? was the clip removed prior to sale to public? I have not looked, but imagine its located in the shifter area

It was located behind the traction control's off button. It stopped all rental customers from pushing the button in. Most didn't know how to remove the clip, but most gear heads did. So, maybe if your car came without, someone must have removed it before doing a reenactment of the Bullitt chase scene...

AJ

Per Hertz Corp VP of Maintenance and the VP of Fleet, the intent of the TC clip was safety first and damage to tires and drive train components second. One has to remember that the average GT-H renter was not used to a rear wheel drive performance car. The clip idea came, very cautiously, from Ford. hope this helps, Larry

Per Hertz Corp VP of Maintenance and the VP of Fleet, the intent of the TC clip was safety first and damage to tires and drive train components second. One has to remember that the average GT-H renter was not used to a rear wheel drive performance car. The clip idea came, very cautiously, from Ford. hope this helps, Larry

Actually the clip was developed by Vince and Carl, if I remember correctly. It was one of those last minute problems that needed a quick and ingenious solution. And while we "management" are sitting around a table trying to figure out a solution, these guys go and make it happen in 5 minutes. Brilliant and pretty funny at the same time!