TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX4774???

CSX4350

I agree. This does not look like a CSX # car. the battery in the front is wrong, the regulator is on the pass foot well box not the firewall. No one puts blue plasitic wrap around the wires. the guaegs are not shelby at all. the list goes on. Unless this is some complete do over using very strange and not period correct parts. As for Mecum thay should have better knowledge than that.

I agree. This does not look like a CSX # car. the battery in the front is wrong, the regulator is on the pass foot well box not the firewall. No one puts blue plasitic wrap around the wires. the guaegs are not shelby at all. the list goes on. Unless this is some complete do over using very strange and not period correct parts. As for Mecum thay should have better knowledge than that.

Lots of issues with that car.

I was at the airport and couldn't see the pictures. Someone on Club Cobra thought it might be CCX not CSX. Is the SAAC registrar watching and can clarify?

Door insides and the trans tunnel finish is all wrong too. No CSX4000 car would have roll bar orientation like this either.

Well, I'm not afraid to throw a red flag on the play and ask for an official review of the tape. I sent this via Mecum's web site:

Hi,

Can you please verify that the car listed here:

1966 Shelby Cobra Roadster for sale by Mecum Auction

is really a Shelby CSX 4000 series car? There is very little resemblance to a genuine CSX 4000/6000 series car and would really like to hope that the claim that it is CSX4774 is a typographical error. I owned one myself and there are too many wrong details - like the orientation of the roll bar (a Cobra 427 would anchor the roll bar in the trunk, and a 289 car would be in the front of the passenger foot well, but none have ever anchored it in the area of the transmission tunnel. Other details are the dash and gauges, interior trim like inside doors and transmission tunnel, and the battery (which would be 2x6V behind the passenger seat or a 12V in the trunk.

I would strongly encourage you to verify the claim that this is a Shelby Continuation Cobra.

Thanks

Although Mecum uses the standard boiler plate disclaimer, see below, I'm disappointed that they would not flag this car.

For the record those Mecum photos do not match how CSX4774 was built by Shelby American back in 2004.

Steve

Mecum discalimer: Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction.

For the record from the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s (4th edition): CSX 4774. Fiberglass body. Completed 12/16/04. Dealer HRE Motorsports (Freeport, NY). Painted blue. Powered by Shelby American 427 built by Shelby Ent. Tremec 5-speed transmission. Trigo wheels/SS knock offs;oil cooler w/remote filter; black headers/sidepipes; black quick jacks; chromed roll bar; 15"dia. steering wheel. Original vinyl interior appears to have been upgraded to leather by dealer. Purchased by John Iavarone (Old Westbury, NY).

Now draw your own conclusions by the photo and description you see of the car.

Well, I'm not afraid to throw a red flag on the play and ask for an official review of the tape. I sent this via Mecum's web site:

Hi,

Can you please verify that the car listed here:

1966 Shelby Cobra Roadster for sale by Mecum Auction

is really a Shelby CSX 4000 series car? There is very little resemblance to a genuine CSX 4000/6000 series car and would really like to hope that the claim that it is CSX4774 is a typographical error. I owned one myself and there are too many wrong details - like the orientation of the roll bar (a Cobra 427 would anchor the roll bar in the trunk, and a 289 car would be in the front of the passenger foot well, but none have ever anchored it in the area of the transmission tunnel. Other details are the dash and gauges, interior trim like inside doors and transmission tunnel, and the battery (which would be 2x6V behind the passenger seat or a 12V in the trunk.

I would strongly encourage you to verify the claim that this is a Shelby Continuation Cobra.

Thanks

The letter must have worked because the listing now says this "1966 Shelby Cobra Replica", with no mention of CSX number or anything affiliating it with Shelby American.

Archived