TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To tire or not to tire, that is the (size) question

mark.barton

I know tires have been talked to death in the various forums (I know, I've searched), but I haven't seen this question specifically addressed.

My 2010 came with 275/40R19 Pirelli Pzero Rosso's on the front with Goodyear F1 285/35R19 on the rear when I bought it used in August. The rears are about shot. I want to track day the car 3 or 4 times a year and I am going to buy new tires soon, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I keep the same size on the front to help with understeer?

2) Also I am thinking about going to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110s all the way around. How do they perform/hold up on the track?

Thanks,

Mark

Have you looked at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11?

I have looked at some of the Bridgestones, but I do not see the RE-11s listed in the sizes I am looking for. At Tirerack all they show are the Potenza S-04 Pole Positions

I know tires have been talked to death in the various forums (I know, I've searched), but I haven't seen this question specifically addressed.

My 2010 came with 275/40R19 Pirelli Pzero Rosso's on the front with Goodyear F1 285/35R19 on the rear when I bought it used in August. The rears are about shot. I want to track day the car 3 or 4 times a year and I am going to buy new tires soon, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I keep the same size on the front to help with understeer?

2) Also I am thinking about going to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110s all the way around. How do they perform/hold up on the track?

Thanks,

Mark

If you plan to track the car 3-4 times a year you need to get a dedicated set of track tires & wheels. Hoosiers are best.

The only thing that would make me hesitate with the Hankook is the 280 treadwear rating. That tells me hard compound.

They are somewhat harder that the Goodyear F1 (220 rating), but after some reading on TireRack, I am finding that the treadwear rating is somewhat subjective and is determined by the tire manufacturer. All that aside it is at least a way to compare tires.

If you plan to track the car 3-4 times a year you need to get a dedicated set of track tires & wheels. Hoosiers are best.

I would love to have a dedicated set for the track, but unfortunately it's not in the budget right now.

At this point and after a lot of head scratching and thought, I am going to go back to the Goodyear F1 Supercars. They seem to be the best cross between a street tire and one that can be run on the track with some decent amount of traction.

At this point and after a lot of head scratching and thought, I am going to go back to the Goodyear F1 Supercars. They seem to be the best cross between a street tire and one that can be run on the track with some decent amount of traction.

I really like the F1 Supercars too, Mark. I'm not a person that does any "track" time at all..but just from having fun out on the country roads in the warm weather...I was delighted with the way that the stock tires performed and gave me confidence. I love the steering precision as well.

The only reason I was searching for an alternative was for on the odd occasion that I might have to make my way through snowy conditions. Beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just pick up some of the Pirelli winter tires for next year and switch them out next November, etc.

I really like the F1 Supercars too, Mark. I'm not a person that does any "track" time at all..but just from having fun out on the country roads in the warm weather...I was delighted with the way that the stock tires performed and gave me confidence. I love the steering precision as well.

The only reason I was searching for an alternative was for on the odd occasion that I might have to make my way through snowy conditions. Beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just pick up some of the Pirelli winter tires for next year and switch them out next November, etc.

So many people bitch about the F1's, but they are what they are. A performance tire made with a racing type compound that requires heat to get the best out of them. I'm glad they have worked out for you. My car pretty much goes into hibernation when the temp goes below 45 and I don't think I could or would drive it in snow.

I'm convinced. After some research I went ahead and ordered Hankooks for the front to compliment the RE11's. Once I get the combo mounted ill do a review in the tire thread.

I have never been a fan of mixing tire brands. I don't have any specific reason, it is just something I have never liked. I will be really curious to see what you think about the combo.

BTW. There's a tire thread? Can you tell me which forum it's in?

It's in the Modifications & Tech section Mark. Wheels & Tires subsection. FYI I've mixed brands on several vehicles (the most recent was my 08. I had F1s in front and Nitto 555rs in the rear. Worked great.) Maybe it would be an issue if I tracked the car but I really don't push it hard. I just try to keep stock sizes that the car came with. I'm much more concerned with straight-line performance.

Here in europe it is cold about 3 degree celsius thats 35 fahrenheit and believe me the tires are lifethreatening at that temp especially if there is rain too i can not imagine driving in snow not even with winter tires. I want to switch to pirelli just to survice

You are quite correct about the tires being "exciting" at that temp and I cannot blame you for wanting winter tires. I have taken my car out for excersise when the temp was about 45 degrees and even after 15 miles, the rears still had no heat in them.

Archived