TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Brakes

mudduc

So i'm not really happy with the brakes on my stang. The GT500 weighs more and has more power then the corvette but the brakes dont even come close to what the vette has. WTF? So this is what i've been thinking. I want to put 6 piston calipers on the front and MOVE the stock 4's to the back. I'm a machinest so making the mounting brackets is not an issue but will it work? Has anyone tried putting the stock 4 piston calipers on the back.?

Have not heard of anyone moving the front Brembo's to the rear. I think coming up with a parking brake arrangement is an issue.

On mine, I upgrade the fronts to the Shelby Extreme brakes (baer 6-piston). For the rear, I installed the Eradispeed+2. All works well and looks good.

I just hate how since day one these brakes have squeaked like a rusty minivan.

lol...mine started squeaking within the last year or so. But it does make you feel like you are driving an old beater car! HA!

I have the same squeaky brakes on mine since new and hate it. Mine only do it when i get down below 10mph to stop.

Mine does it at that point to...right before stopping. I read that using the ceramic brake pads will eliminate that - so when the time comes I'll switch.

So i'm not really happy with the brakes on my stang. The GT500 weighs more and has more power then the corvette but the brakes dont even come close to what the vette has. WTF? So this is what i've been thinking. I want to put 6 piston calipers on the front and MOVE the stock 4's to the back. I'm a machinest so making the mounting brackets is not an issue but will it work? Has anyone tried putting the stock 4 piston calipers on the back.?

It's not economically possible to install the front brakes to the rear wheel because front brakes uses a fixed caliper system while the rear utilize a floating caliper set-up. You could do what I've done and purchase a set of 13" AP Racing rotors and four piston calipers, but they are pricey because they convert the rear brakes to a fixed caliper set-up.

6 Piston, 14-1/4 inch front AP Racing brakes.

DSCN0652-1.jpg

4 Piston, 13 inch rear AP Racing brakes, notice the built in parking brake.

mod002.jpg

• 2 months later...

ap brakes are really nice. i'd like to put them all around my stang. how are they workin out?

Excellent. As soon as you touch the brakes you KNOW their there. They are definately better than the stock Brembo's.

The rear brakes are not really needed but I got them so that they match the front. Just a word of warning. if you get the front brakes and are using the stock 18 inch wheels be aware that if you use adhesive lead balancing weights you'll only be able to have one row of weights. If you have to go two wide you might get interference with the calipers. There's mininal clearance between the stock wheels and caliper. One more suggestion, if you plan on road racing your car stay clear of the cross drilled and slotted rotors and opt for the slotted one instead. If you're just using your car on the street then the cross drilled and slotted rotors are fine.

• 3 years later...

Archived