TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Under hood dress up items installed.

I purchased a few parts from CJ Pony when they had their 20% off xmas sale. I picked up the CPC (California Pony Cars) NXT hood struts (painted brackets), strut tower caps and radiator extensions.

First off, the CPC parts are very high quality made right here in the good ‘ol USA (hint, hint SPP).

The hood struts and radiator extensions were a pretty straight forward install. However, I had to modify the strut tower caps. I took some pictures along the way while I modified them using a table mounted belt sander and die grinder bits.

P1010244.jpg

P1010245.jpg

Test fit....

P1010243.jpg

The work begins....

P1010248.jpg

P1010247.jpg

P1010251.jpg

Finished install......

P1010249.jpg

P1010250.jpg

P1010252.jpg

P1010253.jpg

P1010256.jpg

P1010257.jpg

I’m debating weather or not to cut a ‘window’ in the radiator extension for the CSM tag, for now I’m just going to leave it….

Nice work. I think I'd want the CSM visible too. BTW... what is the function of the plunger switch by your fuse box? It looks factory but is not present on my SGT. Just curious because I've seen it before but never asked.

The plunger is for the factory anti-theft.

I know the tag is under there and that's all that matters for now... When I can figure out a good way to do it I will.

What better way to "protect" it!?

I think it would be really cool to cut out a window in the radiator cover, then make a clear piece to put in the window so it would still be 'covered' but yet still be visible via the window.

A piece of 1/4" plexi would do the trick because it's thick enough you could cut a lip around the edge of it so it would sit up and into the hole (window) and sit flush with the rad. cover. But you could still see through it to view/display your CSM plate. I think it'd be real easy to do (I've worked a little with acrylic and plexi in the past). Don't even THINK about Lexan, it scratches if you just look at it and plexi is easy to get scratches out of if you do fog it up (from cleaning over time).

Too bad you're in NC, I'd do it for you just for kicks.

Or does it sit too far below the cover to see through a clear window?

Phill

What better way to "protect" it!?

I think it would be really cool to cut out a window in the radiator cover, then make a clear piece to put in the window it so it would still be 'covered' but yet visible.

A piece of 1/4" plexi would do the trick because it's thick enough you could cut a lip around the edge of it so it would sit up and into the hole (window) and sit flush with the rad. cover. But you could still see through it to view/display your CSM plate. I think it'd be real easy to do (I've worked a little with acrylic and plexi in the past). Don't even THINK about Lexan, it scratches if you just look at it and plexi is easy to get scratches out of if you do fog it up (from cleaning over time).

NICE! Someone seriously has to make both of these! I would buy!

I found this thread that jmn444 started, it gave me a few ideas on how to make a template to locate the ‘window’.

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

If and when I do this, I plan on using plexi and pop-rivets, not glue. That way I can replace the plexi easily.

Jeff, I think CPC could easily make the strut tower caps and have a market for them with over 8k SGTs out there plus any other mustang using the FR brace. But I’m not too sure about making the radiator extension with the ‘window’. Were all the CSM tags placed in the exact same location on every car? Did SA use a template, would be the question.

I found this thread that jmn444 started, it gave me a few ideas on how to make a template to locate the ‘window’.

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

If and when I do this, I plan on using plexi and pop-rivets, not glue. That way I can replace the plexi easily.

Jeff, I think CPC could easily make the strut tower caps and have a market for them with over 8k SGTs out there plus any other mustang using the FR brace. But I’m not too sure about making the radiator extension with the ‘window’. Were all the CSM tags placed in the exact same location on every car? Did SA use a template, would be the question.

I think you could just window that small section between the pillar of the facia and where the light assembly screws in. It's not very big and you're covered. I've spent years and $$$ trying to find something that fits with the STB installed and have had some measure of success (pun intended) but nothing that's spot on....but rather "work". Anyway...nice job!

When you expand the pop-rivet, it wll break the plexi...

If you don't want to use glue, use small contersink screws. You can tap plexi pretty easily and get a countersink cutter at Harbor Freight for cheap. Cut a *small* contersink into the black plastic radiator cover then screw the machine screw into the plexi under it. Again, I'd cut a lip into the plexi so it "sticks up" into the window/hole and sits flush. Then the CS (tapered heads) screws would sit flush and it would all look pretty professional, IMO.

A little enginuity<sp?> can go a LONG way!

Phill

• 1 month later...

It looks in your pics that the color of your CPC hood struts is lighter than the color of the car. I just opened a set of new vista blue CPC hood struts and found them to be the wrong color also. What did you think of the color match?

It looks in your pics that the color of your CPC hood struts is lighter than the color of the car. I just opened a set of new vista blue CPC hood struts and found them to be the wrong color also. What did you think of the color match?

I found the same problem so I called CPC customer support. They told me they change their process from painting the brackets to powder coating them because customers we complaining about the paint chipping. So they were able to find me a set of the painted brackets and I swapped them out. Much better, its not that the color doesn't match, its because their not using a powder coat with metallic flakes.

Nice work Carl on the caps. Doubt that I have the nerves anymore to play with fitting them.

I would go with doing something to see the tag. Got to show it if you got it imo.

BTW coming this way this summer?

Tom

Nice work Carl on the caps. Doubt that I have the nerves anymore to play with fitting them.

I would go with doing something to see the tag. Got to show it if you got it imo.

BTW coming this way this summer?

Tom

Thanks Tom....

I have the Dream Cruise on the calendar this year, I'll be in touch when it gets closer to the date.

Thanks Tom....

I have the Dream Cruise on the calendar this year, I'll be in touch when it gets closer to the date.

Carl,

Don't be affraid to call if you are ever in town. Recall one visit that your lovely wife had the agenda set. Olden days if you smoked, you could go out on the porch for a break - not that you or I smoke.

Tom

Archived