TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Black SGT out in the salt & ice in ohio

dave870

There are a lot of owners that have the car as a daily driver and many work VERY hard to keep them looking good. I'm not rich, but at least able to buy and old 2007 Toyota Yaris, 38MPG, as my daily driver so when it rains or snows I drive that.

I consider myself VERY lucky to be able to do that. But at the end of the day, it's a car, and I do it more because the car is my hobby, than for any "future value" that I'm not at all concerned about and truthfully don't think will happen in my lifetime.

Those that do drive in rain and snow please be careful!

Im in okc. We don't get a lot of snow and luckily I have an old beater K5 GMC to drive when it happens. But I'm always shocked when I see what some people would take in the snow. Last year I followed a C-6 Z06 for a few miles. When I was younger I drove a 90 foxbody mustang everyday rain sleet or snow. Its not fun

There are a lot of owners that have the car as a daily driver and many work VERY hard to keep them looking good. I'm not rich, but at least able to buy and old 2007 Toyota Yaris, 38MPG, as my daily driver so when it rains or snows I drive that.

I consider myself VERY lucky to be able to do that. But at the end of the day, it's a car, and I do it more because the car is my hobby, than for any "future value" that I'm not at all concerned about and truthfully don't think will happen in my lifetime.

Those that do drive in rain and snow please be careful!

+1

Daily driver 61k miles

I can assure you, many vintage muscle including Shelbys were driven in the harsh environments in which they lived....and now 40+ years later, it hasn't affected their values.

Case in point, in the late 60's thru mid 70's, my father drove his 1967 GT-A Fastback everywhere...we were a one car family. In the winter, he bolt on the studed winter tire (on plain steel wheels). In the summer, he'd tow the pop-up tent trailer down dirt roads...thats how it was.

Drive mine daily (26K). I've even been caught in a couple hail storms but I do my best to minimize my exposure to harsh weather. Using it as a daily driver wasn't the plan when I purchased it but plans never work exactly as intended. Luckily my commute is short. I'll have my SGT paid for next year. When I do, I'll purchase my wife a new car and will take her truck as my daily driver.

I can assure you, many vintage muscle including Shelbys were driven in the harsh environments in which they lived....and now 40+ years later, it hasn't affected their values.

Case in point, in the late 60's thru mid 70's, my father drove his 1967 GT-A Fastback everywhere...we were a one car family. In the winter, he bolt on the studed winter tire (on plain steel wheels). In the summer, he'd tow the pop-up tent trailer down dirt roads...thats how it was.

I drove my 65 fastback in the 70's with studed snow tire. You should have seen the concrete after I would tear up a hill.

I drove my 2008 SGT to work on one of the really nice days last week. For some reason in the early morning the bridges were kind of wet. It seems they are now using some kind of de-ice solution around here. I had it all over my deck lid panel and I ended up taking about two hours after work to clean it up. Turned out not be be worth taking it out. It is now in the garage until the frost is gone and I will drive my 97' T-bird.until then..

When I worked at Ford WHQ in Dearborn from 1990 to 1994, I had to use my 1989 5.0 LX Hatchback as my only vehicle....even in 3 to 4 inches of new snow that seemed to occur daily. After the first 8000 miles on the original Goodyear Gatorback tires, I gave them away for free and slapped on a set of all season treads, kept two 25 lb dumbbells and a 60lb toolbox in the back hatch area for extra weight over the rear axle. I also never drove below a 1/2 tank of gas.

I was also a regular at the car wash about every 3 to 4 days.

Sometimes you just got to do, what you got to do!

Now, my SGT is a garage queen....14,600 miles and will be 4 years original owner in 1 month exactly. It's a fair weather top down car for me!

I'm trying to convince my wife that a 2012 Boss 302 will make a better foul weather car than my Expedition so I can make the upgrade on my daily driver.

Suggestions anyone on how to win that arguement??!!

Andy.

Drive mine daily (26K). I've even been caught in a couple hail storms but I do my best to minimize my exposure to harsh weather. Using it as a daily driver wasn't the plan when I purchased it but plans never work exactly as intended. Luckily my commute is short. I'll have my SGT paid for next year. When I do, I'll purchase my wife a new car and will take her truck as my daily driver.

Same here. When I bought my SGT about 15 months ago I was planning on either keeping my '07 F150 or buying a Ranger for a DD. Unfortunately, the economy had other ideas and I've been on reduced work schedule (three-day work weeks) for almost a year.

If I'd known this was coming I wouldn't have bought the SGT......or maybe I would have. It's a fun DD and it hasn't been any problem, though I really miss having a truck. I actually brought a new Craftsman top chest (tool chest) home in the front seat the other day! Talk about a tight squeeze......these cars were NOT meant to transport big items!

Lol Andy that's awesome. I had about that argument but I just convinced her I needed a beater wwith no extra payment she was OK with it....she's ugly but it works....

Bushmaster.....when ur ready to sell brother let me know (hopefully you don't)

I'm lusting over ur ride but I can't find one

Watching this thread I had to say that in the 70's I also had a 1970 Mach 1 as an only car and drove it all winter, had snow tires on the back, got stuck a lot as it had the 351 clevland up front and no weight on the back. Did what you had to do back then.

I blame all you older guys for rusty chassis. Classics lol

That is a fact. About every 65'- 73' Mustang in the upper midwest is/was a basket case on the passenger side.. By 1977 on most you could see the road through the rusted floor pans.The reproduction parts vendors can thank us too.

And we may have caused the wheel tax in some cities because of our studded snow tires ripping up the streets.

Your welcome.

My wife's daily driver is a black, stock 07SGT. If you see one in Columbus, OH, it could be her. However, she won't drive it, if there is snow on the ground, ever since I came home one day 2 years ago trying to get up the driveway. There was just a dusting of snow but it has zero traction on it. When it snows I take her to work in my Ranger.

Eventhough it's a daily driver, we keep it clean enough to put it in several shows each year (and win).

Man, I grew up in Columbus and I sure as hell don't miss that weather - or those wretched driving conditions. I don't know what's better about winter roads in Austin - the fact that it only snows about every five years, or the fact that they don't use salt when it does. They do use sand, which isn't too good for the paint, but at least we don't have to deal with rust.

I remember five year old '65 Mustangs with holes in the quarter panels you could toss a dog through. I love living in a place where one person in a thousand has ever heard the word "Ziebart". Do they still have that up there for new cars?

Local guy had a White SGT, drove 100 miles a day, all weather. Traded it with 100k + for a new GT500. On my commute I see him on the interstate in WV every day rain, snow or shine in his GT500 running 65 MPH.

Man, I grew up in Columbus and I sure as hell don't miss that weather - or those wretched driving conditions. I don't know what's better about winter roads in Austin - the fact that it only snows about every five years, or the fact that they don't use salt when it does. They do use sand, which isn't too good for the paint, but at least we don't have to deal with rust.

I remember five year old '65 Mustangs with holes in the quarter panels you could toss a dog through. I love living in a place where one person in a thousand has ever heard the word "Ziebart". Do they still have that up there for new cars?

Yeah, I think Ziebart is still in business around here.

Thankfully, we haven't had any snow to speak of. It was around 50 degrees today, and I saw another black SGT going down the road, while I was at the gas station. At first I thought it was my wife, but then noticed the license plate was different.

It's just too painfull for me, what happens around here is that the body of your car rots and falls off before your drivetrain gives up.

I can't do that to my Shelby.

Archived