TEAM SHELBY FORUM

photos from Autoblog.com of GT500KR

sharon

Finally, a real pic that you can see the whole car in.

I love the car aside from the wheels. I'm not diggin those. They look a little too "Funkmaster" IMHO. The production 18s might look better.

Don't get me wrong by this post but this seems to be a different flavor of the 40th package with perhaps a different tune or intake to boost power. I really dig the hood and would consider it for my car. What performance options for this car are different from the 40th version?

Don't get me wrong by this post but this seems to be a different flavor of the 40th package with perhaps a different tune or intake to boost power. I really dig the hood and would consider it for my car. What performance options for this car are different from the 40th version?

I haven't been able to find any specs on the car. I'm hoping Chris and Robert got some scoop for us.

I haven't been able to find any specs on the car. I'm hoping Chris and Robert got some scoop for us.

2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR – Specifications and Design Highlights• 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 producing estimated 540-horsepower and 510 ft.-lbs. of torque

• Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack featuring revised calibration and cold air intake system

• 6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio

• Ford Racing performance exhaust system

• Unique performance suspension tuning: springs, dampers, and stabilizer bars

• Shelby-designed ‘GT500KR’ 20-inch wheels (18-inch version for production)

• Ford Racing short-throw shifter and front strut tower brace

• Unique carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby ‘KR’ design

• Front brake cooling ducts

• ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid

• 40th Anniversary badges on the front quarter panels

• Carroll Shelby signature embroidered headrests and floor mats

• Official Shelby CSM 40th Anniversary GT500KR dash plate

The KR's 5.4-liter V-8 Gets the Royal Treatment

Just like its namesake, the 2008 ‘King of the Road' packs a walloping dose of Ford performance power under its massive composite hood scoops. The Ford SVT-engineered 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 is treated to a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack that boosts horsepower to an estimated 540 and torque to 510 ft.-lbs., thanks to revised ignition and throttle calibration and a cold air intake system that replaces the stock unit.

Calibration modifications include advancing the ignition timing as well as re-mapping of the electronic throttle settings to provide quicker throttle response for better off-line and mid-range acceleration. Increased throttle response will be met with a sharper roar from the Ford Racing-inspired exhaust system.

Power is delivered to the rear wheels through a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission and 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, upgraded from the standard GT500's 3.31:1. Gear selection is courtesy of an all-new Ford Racing short-throw shifter making its debut on the KR. Topped with a white ball, the new shifter is 25 percent shorter than the unit on the GT500 providing for crisper, sharper shifts.

Ford SVT, Ford Racing and Team Shelby worked together to develop the KR's suspension tuning. Based on initial work by Ford Racing and the team at Shelby, often at Shelby's own facility on the grounds of Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Ford SVT chassis engineers will apply fine tuning techniques to prepare it for the streets.

“The production Shelby GT500 was maximized to deliver the perfect balance between ride and handling,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief nameplate engineer, Ford SVT. “In that same ride versus handling continuum, the KR will lean heavier towards all-out handling while still making it drivable on the street.”

Chassis engineers worked closely with the engine department in a holistic approach to the development of the KR, tuning the suspension to best optimize the engine enhancements.

“We aren't fixing our attention on one or two attributes, but working on the vehicle as a whole,” stated Gary Patterson, vice president of operations for Shelby Automobiles. “The throttle response, power delivery, exhaust note, and handling should all gel together to deliver a total driving experience.”

The GT500KR will feature unique spring rates, dampers, stabilizer bars, and strut tower brace, all designed specifically for the KR, to deliver the precision handling package.

Archived