TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT500 for goin2dirt

goin2dirt

OK. So I have wanted a Shelby forever. Well actually the obsession started with Saleen's. Just never pulled the trigger. Until today that is. Had to sell the wife a bit as she will be driving it as a daily driver as I put on too many miles for work. Having said that we got her to the dealership and my 11 yr old son sold her. You see he loves cars more than I do and when the guy started the Shelby in the showroom and his face lit up like a Christmas tree she was sold. We still had to get her on the test drive. At the end of the day you can see the pics. SOLD!

I do have a few questions. Are these tires run flats because I did not get a spare tire? Also she really hates the white shift nob. Can I get the same one in black with red lettering to match the car? How do I register my car with Shelby? What else am I missing?

post-35257-0-74921800-1325563013_thumb.jpg

post-35257-0-04560000-1325563024_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TS. Nice looking car. You guys are going to love it.

1. The tires are not run flats. The inflation fix it kit is in the trunk under the carpet mat. Read the manual on that.

2. You can order the ball you want for about 70 bucks. I bought my wife one. Click on this link to learn where to order it and how to install it.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/70892-installed-a-new-shift-knob-in-tanabananas-gt500/page__view__findpost__p__1214188

3. Register your Shelby here:

http://registry.teamshelby.com/

Welcome to TS. Nice looking car. You guys are going to love it.

1. The tires are not run flats. The inflation fix it kit is in the trunk under the carpet mat. Read the manual on that.

2. You can order the ball you want for about 70 bucks. I bought my wife one. Click on this link to learn where to order it and how to install it.

http://www.teamshelb...ost__p__1214188

3. Register your Shelby here:

http://registry.teamshelby.com/

Thats awesome. Found the one she likes already. What adaptor or thread pattern is the 2012? Also so there is no spare tire. That thing in the tire spot is just a tire repair kit and compressor. Oh boy.

On the speed dog web site a phone number is listed. Call and do a phone order. Talk to Chris and he will get you the correct thread set up. And yes the car only comes with a repair kit. The big tires will not fit in the trunk.

Thats awesome. Found the one she likes already. What adaptor or thread pattern is the 2012? Also so there is no spare tire. That thing in the tire spot is just a tire repair kit and compressor. Oh boy.

The thread in the 2012 is 10mm x 1.25....and you cant find any shift knob who fits this pattern. I have been for several months to get one with any positive results. The only way is to install the MGW shifter and then you will have several options for the knob...

The thread in the 2012 is 10mm x 1.25....and you cant find any shift knob who fits this pattern. I have been for several months to get one with any positive results. The only way is to install the MGW shifter and then you will have several options for the knob...

Amigo GT500. I don't think the only way to have several options is to install an MGW shifter(and, BTW, I am a huge fan of MGW's). Adapters exist to install a variety of Shift Knobs on the stock GT500 shifter. I have personal experience with this as does Grabber. Both of us and a host of others have installed Shift Knobs on our GT500's, GT's, etc. Chris at SpeedDawg has everything you need to install a new Shift Knob on the existing stock GT500 shifter.

Just hope you never need a spare tire....at $400 a pop they aren't cheap.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to check out the shift knob deal. This really helps a newbie. I have been surfing the forum a ton and now have a few more questions.

1. Do you ever use less than 91 octane gas?

2. My stock floor mats are very short and do not go up into the foot well. Any one done some cool replacements that go up higher.

3. That spare tire set up will be ok to put on the rear as well? Aren't the front shorter than the rear and won't that be bad to drive like that?

4. Stripes. If I was to do stripes what is the estimated cost to paint them on and what about the stickers?

5. Best chemical to clean and best to protect the wheels I have. Never had wheels like this only Chrome or polished.

Thanks again and oh yeah by the way the wife let me drive it today ;-)

Amigo GT500. I don't think the only way to have several options is to install an MGW shifter(and, BTW, I am a huge fan of MGW's). Adapters exist to install a variety of Shift Knobs on the stock GT500 shifter. I have personal experience with this as does Grabber. Both of us and a host of others have installed Shift Knobs on our GT500's, GT's, etc. Chris at SpeedDawg has everything you need to install a new Shift Knob on the existing stock GT500 shifter.

Hello stewarbc..yes you are right when you said: "adapters exist". I went to PepBoys and I found a couple of shifter knobs with "plastic adapters". But when you want a real nice knob that you can install WITHOUT any adapters but directly to the shifter at least I couldn't find any in the market with 10mm x 1.25. The 2012 is the only model who has this thread (I am not sure about 2011). For that reason I went to MGW ......to get a nice and good quality shifter and to have a knob what I liked !!

It's my humble opinion......

Welcome to Team Shelby and congrats on your new ride.

Keep checking the Pacific Region sub-forum for events near you.

Enjoy and Happy Motoring

Tom

Thanks Tom. I intend to. Going to start looking around in SoCal as well for just little gatherings.

Just spoke to Chris at SpeedDawg ( great guy by the way) and ordered a black knob with red lettering in the correct thread. He has 20 different thread patterns and if he doesn't have the knob in stock he makes it. Just takes a bit longer.

........with 10mm x 1.25. The 2012 is the only model who has this thread (I am not sure about 2011).

in 2010 Ford changed the Thread Pitch to 10mm x 1.25 so from 2010 up they have that TP. Earlier years are 12mm but I can't remember the thread count (either 1,5 or 1.75, *IIRC*).

Phill

• 1 month later...

Just spoke to Chris at SpeedDawg ( great guy by the way) and ordered a black knob with red lettering in the correct thread. He has 20 different thread patterns and if he doesn't have the knob in stock he makes it. Just takes a bit longer.

Ok so I finally got the shift knob. Someone suggested a strap wrench to take it off. I bought one from Harbor Freight but it just won't grip the ball tight enough. I am not sure what to do next to get the shift knob off.

Thoughts?

Ok so I finally got the shift knob. Someone suggested a strap wrench to take it off. I bought one from Harbor Freight but it just won't grip the ball tight enough. I am not sure what to do next to get the shift knob off.

Thoughts?

It's not easy but you can get it loose....It's one piece, the ball and the base.

5. Best chemical to clean and best to protect the wheels I have. Never had wheels like this only Chrome or polished.

Thanks again and oh yeah by the way the wife let me drive it today ;-)

Kinda late to the party here, but:

1. No. The engine requires premium fuel. 550HP doesn't come cheap. :-)

5. I use Griot's Garage products on my Mustangs, and have been very happy with them. Here is their Wheel & Tire Section.

Congratulations on your wife's new car! It's a hell of a daily driver! :shift:

Thoughts?

I found the same problem as you when I put my MGW in my car. A strap wrench just wouldn't cut the muster.

I've suggested my method to many, few have listened. It's MUCH easier than I make it sound:

Open the rear console compartment door and grab the back of the console cover. Pull up on it and it will come off (EDIT: This is for 2010 and NEWER GT500's), working the clips out from rear to front as you lift it up and unclipping the wire harness connectors to allow you to lift it higher. With a ratchet and socket unscrew the two bolts, from the passenger side of the shift lever so you can take the console cover and the shift lever with knob attached out of the car.

Remove the rubber bushing and metal surround from the shift lever (it's 3 pieces). If you want to make less combersome, unclip the shifter boot from the console lid and you will be left with the shift lever/knob and the shifter boot in your hand. It unclips VERY easily so it's no big deal.

I used two pieces of wood in my bench vise for Jaw Protectors to protect the shift knob with, then clamped the knob in the vise with the shift lever sticking out of one side, the right side for me (to make it easier to twist the shift lever/shaft).

Notice that the shift lever is FLAT on the end where the two bolts go through. Use the flat area to get a good sized cresent wrench on it and twist it off like a bolt.

You're done.

All that's needed now is to put it back together and you can do that by bolting the shift lever on first, then put the boot back into the console cover and put the concsole cover on before putting your new shift knob on the lever. Or just reverse the process of taking it off.

You will have to clamp the shift knob TIGHTLY. Mine suffered NO damage using this method and in fact when I put my stock shift knob/ball onto my MGW shifter, I didn't add any loc-tite, Ford put enough on the ball that I didn't need to (it was "snug" going back on).

HTH,

Phill

1. I never used any octane below 93 in mine.

2. I treat the wheels just like I treat the paint on the car. They are really easy to care for and keep looking nice. So just maybe once a year with some clay cleaning and then the rest of the year I just wax them with my regular car wax.

post-35257-0-68123900-1328656407_thumb.jpgI did it :happy feet:

So before I was going to try the heat and all that I figured I would try something else first. I wasn't getting a good grip with the strap wrench. It kept slipping. I decided to try my R/C spray cleaner/degreaser on the strap to get it real clean. So I did that and cleaned the shift knob as well.

BINGO.

Strap gripped perfect and off she came no problem at all.

Only thing is now is I have a gap between the boot and the jam screw. I can feel sort of a collar under the boot that seems like it would move up to bring the boot up but I don't want to break anything. You can see in the pic what I am talking about.

post-35257-0-73808100-1328656400_thumb.jpg

Archived