TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Won't start, won't jump-What happened?

stevenh

I have a stock 2010 with 3,000 miles that until now has had no issues. Started normally yesterday, today was totally dead. Jump start did nothing, no response at all. Hooked it up to a battery tender and it doesn't appear to be taking a charge but I can hear what sounds like a relay near the passenger foot area clicking non-stop and the taillights are flickering at the same speed as the clicking (they almost look like strobes) What the hell? Any ideas, I have a down sloped driveway and will have to have it drug ou out of the garage to tow it to the dealer and hate to have to do that.

Connections all tight, no corrosion, etc

I will not trust a visual inspection of the battery-to-frame ground. Remove the cable at the frame, brush the connections, including removing any paint under the bolt area, and make the connection again. It happened on one of my SGTs.

When these batteries go dead lots of low voltage stuff starts to flutter and make noise and the car will not take a jump. I bet your battery is dead. Pull it out and take it to a store to be tested.

Battery to frame ground is good. Hard to believe the battery was 100% yesterday and completely dead the next without some issue? The flickering lights/clicking only happens when the charger is hooked up. Will have the battery tested tomorrow, wasn't there some issue with a short somewhere in the passenger area or something like that?

stevenh,

3000 miles on a 2010 isn't very many. Are you the original owner and if so, for how many months? Did you connect and always maintain a battery tender when you brought it home? If not, you most likely have a dead battery and it will no longer hold a charge.

Battery to frame ground is good. Hard to believe the battery was 100% yesterday and completely dead the next without some issue? The flickering lights/clicking only happens when the charger is hooked up. Will have the battery tested tomorrow, wasn't there some issue with a short somewhere in the passenger area or something like that?

That's how these cars act. One day fine...the next day deader than a door knob. And the flickering will start to go amuck as soon as you try to jump it.

You will see when you put a new battery in.

PS

Buy a battery tender if the car sits for more than a week to 10 days at a time. That is all it takes to drain these cars in some cases.

is there a fuse or fusible link in the starter circuit?? If it were me and the driveway was badly sloped id go to Autozone and pick up a battery and put it in myself-I know its expensice but when they put the car on a hook the front will drag.Or get 4 of your friends to push it up the driveway and then start in froma roll by popping the clutch

I have a stock 2010 with 3,000 miles that until now has had no issues. Started normally yesterday, today was totally dead. Jump start did nothing, no response at all. Hooked it up to a battery tender and it doesn't appear to be taking a charge but I can hear what sounds like a relay near the passenger foot area clicking non-stop and the taillights are flickering at the same speed as the clicking (they almost look like strobes) What the hell? Any ideas, I have a down sloped driveway and will have to have it drug ou out of the garage to tow it to the dealer and hate to have to do that.

First thing I'd do is check the battery voltage with a volt meter!

Do your headlights come on?

Do they go out when you turn the key on or to the "start" position?

Horn work? (etc. etc. etc.).

Do yourself a favor, go get a cheap (Harbor Freight, for instance) Digital Volt Ohm Meter/DVOM. It will save you a ton of money by doing your own diagnosis....

If your battery is at full charge (12.6v on a FULLY charged batt.) then check the voltage with the key in the "Start" position. If the batt. voltage drops way below 9.6v, you have a sulfated battery. If it stays up, you have a bad connection.

Perform a voltage drop test across each connection until you find the bad one.

Easy peasy.

Phill

Thanks guys. It sits on a bettery tender when not driven, but its been off for about 2 weeks. Ill get the battery checked and go from there. Hard to believe how good it was one day, and interior lights wont even glow the next. This morning dealer service center (over phone) thought it was a factory alarm that went off until it killed the battery, said there is a blue light under the steering wheel to confirm but now to dead to tell. It was just sitting in ther garage and i was home, so not so sure about the alarm bit..

looks like youve gotten some very good advice--i have several cars and a commercial grade charger--even then if a battery is "dead" i have found the only way i get it started is call AAA--they have a humongous starter and as a last resort, always worked so i can drive the car to a dealer--good luck and let us know how it works out.I also have a 10 with 6000 miles on it, and had not started it for a month--just went out and started it, so something must have really been running to kill it overnight

I don't know why, but some modern batteries are just not what they used to be. My mother in law's Lexus was only a few months old, running just great. She came out from a store and the battery was done. It dropped a cell and was a goner. Wouldn't jump, take a charge at all. New battery, and has been fine ever since. I've seen this on a couple cars now. Just a possibility, not unheard of.

My battery was toast after storing it through the winter. The Electronics package is a power hog even when the car is off. If you aren't using a battery tender you should disconnect the positive terminal if it sits for more than 2 weeks without starting. Thankfully the dealership replaced mine free of charge, if you haven't bought a new one yet that's what I'd do.

Now I'm starting my car every 1-2 weeks and letting it run for 30 minutes at a time. If storing the car it is good to start it anyways.

Archived