TEAM SHELBY FORUM

20 inch wheels or just new tires?

Pathman

I just rolled 18k and it is way past time to get rid of the stock F1's. I am really on the fence about going up to a 20 inch wheel, but seems like about the only choice for our big brakes. Anybody here done this and truly hated the decision? I don't drag this car, pretty much only weekend warrior with road trips to shows and spirited backroad romps. I've done the Steeda lowering springs and the usual performance mods(no cats, intake, pulley and very aggressive custom dyno tune) Any thoughts from the real world will be appreciated.

I have 20s w/ Toyo Proxies 4s on them. This was the way the original prototype KR was tested at Miller Motor sports park in Utah before they went to the 18s. On the streets and road track they seemed to do ok. On the drag strip, I spun through 3 gears. I still have the original F1s and wheels w/ less than 5k miles on them. I have over 8K on the car now.

...I don't drag this car, pretty much only weekend warrior with road trips to shows and spirited backroad romps...

Pretty much the same use my KR and Bullitt sees. My thoughts..? Big wheels were fun when I was FIVE years old. I'm referring to the plastic chopper tricycle with the big front wheel.

I really think cars with huge diameter wheels are a ridiculous trend, and I don't understand the "bigger is better" attitudes (about wheels..). The only advantage to them that I can see, is the ability to use big brakes, which a street car doesn't even need.

Bigger everything means more unsprung weight, and a harsher ride. My Mustangs (Bullitt and KR) are both sticking with their 18" wheels.

Wider wheels and tires are useful, but BigWheels are for kids. :)

Archived