TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Choices for Stock Wheels

Getting ready to re-shoe my '08 SGT coupe and would like some input from you guys. I want to stay with the stock 18 x 8.5 in rims. The original BFG's have been OK, but not impressive. Looks like I'm going to get about 35K miles out of them. Have Koni Yellow shocks and Steeda Sport springs. I'm looking for the best tire for day to day, not the track. Cost, per se, isn't that big a factor. I'm currently looking at Pirelli P-Zero Nero (had them on my 06 GT and previous Camaro Z-28 with good results) and P-Zero Nero M+S, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Don't want something that wears out in 20K miles!

Also considering going to P255/45 ZR-18 instead of the spec 235/50. What, if anything would I gain or lose in traction, ride comfort, handling, gas mileage, etc.?

All opinions and info appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew

Check out Discount Tire Direct on Ebay. They carry many brands. The Conti DW depending on size is $600-$900 a set. Many good things said about Nitto Invo's. They'll run $800-$900 a set.

Regards

John

Getting ready to re-shoe my '08 SGT coupe and would like some input from you guys. I want to stay with the stock 18 x 8.5 in rims. The original BFG's have been OK, but not impressive. Looks like I'm going to get about 35K miles out of them. Have Koni Yellow shocks and Steeda Sport springs. I'm looking for the best tire for day to day, not the track. Cost, per se, isn't that big a factor. I'm currently looking at Pirelli P-Zero Nero (had them on my 06 GT and previous Camaro Z-28 with good results) and P-Zero Nero M+S, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Don't want something that wears out in 20K miles!

Also considering going to P255/45 ZR-18 instead of the spec 235/50. What, if anything would I gain or lose in traction, ride comfort, handling, gas mileage, etc.?

All opinions and info appreciated.

Went with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. Handling and ride improved a bunch over the stock BFG's (although bear in mind I'm comparing it with worn BFG's. Set the tire pressure at 32 psi cold and the Konis set at 1/2 turn from full soft all the way around. Car feels very "nimble" and like it has excellent grip. Ride is very comfortable. Cost very reasonable at Discount Tire.

Archived