TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will the 2013 GT500 gearing soften lower speed street performance?

carman

Jamal Hameedi, SVT Chief Engineer, has stated that the gearing in the 2013 will actually produce lower wheel torque compared to the 2012. Although this may be better for top speed capability, could the 2013 end up feeling softer in the lower rpm/less boosted street driving realm when compared to the 2012?

I say yes to some degree....i think the gearing is a bandaid for refusal to put proper tires and wider wheels yhat this car screams for. The 331 i believe were also needed to break the 200 mph mark with the areodynamics of this body style.......but what do i know.....nothing so your mileage may very.

Added note....i will still be buying a 2013!!!!!

The 3.31 gear was used for a few reasons.

Also rememebr other gears were changed. First in the trans from 2.97 to a 2.66 gear.

0-60(actually can go to 62mph at 7k rpm's) without a shift .Ford feels the car can run faster 0-60 times like this.(important measurement)

205 mph top speed.(Big achievement)

Fuel econmy( no gas guzzler)

more control from a dead stop, less tire spin (less torque multiplication with a 3.31 and 2.66 first ver 3.73and 2.97 first) It might feel slower because less tire spin but will go faster. Its all about using the power Improved 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times.(less rpm drop from first to second gear change)

With 600pounds of torque you do not need allot of gear

The 3.31 gear was used for a few reasons.

Also rememebr other gears were changed. First in the trans from 2.97 to a 2.66 gear.

0-60(actually can go to 62mph at 7k rpm's) without a shift .Ford feels the car can run faster 0-60 times like this.(important measurement)

205 mph top speed.(Big achievement)

He also said that with the new gear ratios and higher redline that you will be hitting (1/4 mile) trap at redline in THIRD GEAR, which will give you quicker ET's due to one less shift being required over previous years.

So: Quicker 0-60 times, quicker 1/4 mile ET's and higher top end speeds.

All three of those are big "sellers" in the car sales venue.

Phill

He also said that with the new gear ratios and higher redline that you will be hitting (1/4 mile) trap at redline in THIRD GEAR, which will give you quicker ET's due to one less shift being required over previous years.

So: Quicker 0-60 times, quicker 1/4 mile ET's and higher top end speeds.

All three of those are big "sellers" in the car sales venue.

Phill

Can't wait to see the road test stats on the new GT500. I bet there will be some low 4s if not sub 4s in the 0-60, 1/4 mile 12 flat. Sound reasonable?

Can't wait to see the road test stats on the new GT500. I bet there will be some low 4s if not sub 4s in the 0-60, 1/4 mile 12 flat. Sound reasonable?

The 2011-12 can do low 4s now in the 0-60. Hopefully it will be in the 3s with a 1/4 mile in the 11s.

If the car only does low 4's with no shift and taller gearing Ford did something very wrong. Same with a 1/4 mile in the 12's. It better be 3.7 to 60 and 11.5 @ 125 in the quarter showroom stock.

That's supercar terrritory! Hope that you are right.. Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

That's supercar terrritory! Hope that you are right.. Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

Not even taking into account the superior gearing and 1 less shift to 60 and the quarter, look at the power to weight ratios:

2013 GT500: 5.87

2011-12 GT500: 6.94

2010 GT500: 7.25

2007-09 GT500: 7.84

That is a HUGE difference.

Corvette ZR1: 5.26

Corvette Z06: 6.23

Not even taking into account the superior gearing and 1 less shift to 60 and the quarter, look at the power to weight ratios:

2013 GT500: 5.87

2011-12 GT500: 6.94

2010 GT500: 7.25

2007-09 GT500: 7.84

That is a HUGE difference.

Corvette ZR1: 5.26

Corvette Z06: 6.23

Numbers don't lie. This car's gonna be a monster. Btw, 2005 Ford GT (500hp, 3400lb) = 6.8 0-60 3.6 1/4 12.2@121.6 I think I read somewhere that the gear ratios on the 2013 are similar to the Ford GT..

12.2 in a GT is awful. The trap speed indicates a poor launch.

That was from Road and Track. Motor Trend in a comparison test of the GT reported 0-60 in 3.7 1/4 mile in 11.2!

Whatever the case was for the Ford GT, I am seeing the logic that the 2013 GT500 should be well under 12 in the 1/4 and do a sub 4 0-60. Damn!

Rumor has it the 2013 GT500 was snapping off 11.60's at 120+mph and sub 4 sec 0-60 mph times at Fords test track. They were also saying 11.40's should be possible for a talented driver in a stock 2013 GT500 and well into the 10's with proper drag tires. Can't wait to see actual #'s when these bad boys are released!!

I say yes to some degree....i think the gearing is a bandaid for refusal to put proper tires and wider wheels yhat this car screams for. The 331 i believe were also needed to break the 200 mph mark with the areodynamics of this body style.......but what do i know.....nothing so your mileage may very.

Added note....i will still be buying a 2013!!!!!

So negative! Some of us care about goung around corners. Bigger rear tires would have induced understear, something they have been dialing out of the Mustang for a while now. There is also the new traction control. Ive seen remarks how its not as good as the ZL1 yada yada yada. For a bunch of people who know very little about the car (myself included) we sure seem to know a lot

So negative! Some of us care about goung around corners. Bigger rear tires would have induced understear, something they have been dialing out of the Mustang for a while now. There is also the new traction control. Ive seen remarks how its not as good as the ZL1 yada yada yada. For a bunch of people who know very little about the car (myself included) we sure seem to know a lot

Very true Tim...It's all speculation at this point.

I care about corners too.....mainly that one to the right I take right after I finish my 1/4 mile!!!! :)

• 10 months later...

I have a TVS on my 2011...and I think I need to change the rear end gears. 1st gear always "races" the engine, and my gas mileage is horrible now. And obviously I have ZERO chance of every hooking up.

What gear ratio would you guys recommend? I want to increase my mileage and roll more than 10 feet in 1st gear before having to shift! As it is now, I can't wait to get into 2nd, because 1st is absolutely worthless.

Also, if I change the rear end, would there be any reason to change the other gearing or just let it be changed across the board? I Guess 6th would be SUPER overdrive, but that can be good for interstate travel.

I have a TVS on my 2011...and I think I need to change the rear end gears. 1st gear always "races" the engine, and my gas mileage is horrible now. And obviously I have ZERO chance of every hooking up.

What gear ratio would you guys recommend? I want to increase my mileage and roll more than 10 feet in 1st gear before having to shift! As it is now, I can't wait to get into 2nd, because 1st is absolutely worthless.

Also, if I change the rear end, would there be any reason to change the other gearing or just let it be changed across the board? I Guess 6th would be SUPER overdrive, but that can be good for interstate travel.

The first gear in my stock 07 GT500 was usless and that was with 3.31's...whats helping the 013 GT500 is trans gearing but I personally think they

went to far with that..I had a 013 out for a ride and to me the rear gear should be more in the 3,55 area to get rid of the shudder on takeoff..the gear

you feel the most power from the car is in third gear..

Archived