TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone bought a car-lift

shelbytexan

I have been researching car-lifts and wonder what our members have been buying. I don't plan on storing the car on the lift because the lift will be in my barn. I plan on using the lift for servicing purposes only. I don't want a real high-end lift because it will be used sparingly. I've been looking at the Atlas Garage Pro 8k XLT from Greg Smith Equipment for 2095.00 . Yes this is made in China but the American lifts are much more expensive. Your thoughts please.

i bought a cheap azz lift from this local guy called garage-toys.com.....it was a black XL tuxedo lift made in China. I paid like $2,300 that included delivery and setup. IT LEAKS OIL OUT OF THE MAIN PISTON so if I store a car under it the oil will get on to whatever is under the lift. I also paid $500 for a jack that slides in the lift to be able to jack the car up and that also leaks. Needless to say I am not happy with my purchase and would never buy another Chinese made lift again and I would never do business with garage-toys again either.

The lift itself functions fine and does the job its just that they use cheap parts that leak so if that doesn't concern you then get the cheap lift because it does work.

I wish I would have bought a bendpak lift instead. You always get what you pay for.

Do a search on here, lifts have been discussed many times. However, if you are looking for a lift for maintenance and other type of work, get a two post, only way to go. If going in a barn, I assume you have plenty of height? Also, you need at least 4 1/2 - 6" off solid concrete base. If not, then I guess go 4 post. I have both. I love my Rotary two post in my shop for doing all the work, and have a 4 post in my garage for storage only. 4 post lifts really limit your ability for doing any serious car work, such as tranny replacement, and those types of things. I also use my two post as a storage lift no problem. Just some things to think about. If you just do basic maintenance, a 4 post would be fine.

Do a search on here, lifts have been discussed many times. However, if you are looking for a lift for maintenance and other type of work, get a two post, only way to go. If going in a barn, I assume you have plenty of height? Also, you need at least 4 1/2 - 6" off solid concrete base. If not, then I guess go 4 post. I have both. I love my Rotary two post in my shop for doing all the work, and have a 4 post in my garage for storage only. 4 post lifts really limit your ability for doing any serious car work, such as tranny replacement, and those types of things. I also use my two post as a storage lift no problem. Just some things to think about. If you just do basic maintenance, a 4 post would be fine.

While I see how the 2 post would have more space, I don't see how the 4 post would take away the ability to do something like a tranny swap. I've done a transmission swap on a 4 post lift and didn't have any issues.

I've got the 4-post Greg Smith "Direct Lift 7000". Bought in 2003 and love it. No issues here, mainly used for storage.

The Greg Smith direct lift 7000 is an China made lift as all his lifts are . There are some fairly good lifts made by China and some very cheap ones. I can replace the seals if they leak but i believe i would have a big problem if i had issures with the steel structure. Hopefully the one i'm looking at is a decent lift. I can't really say you always get what you pay for anymore. The Backyard Buddy and the Superlifts seem to be good lifts if you read there advertisements but they are much more expensive . If i were to store my car on the lift then i would give them a closer look. If anyone else has had a bad experince with a lift then i would like to hear about it. I haven't given up on the 2 post lift either as that would be good for rotating tires on everything but my Shelby as they are different on the front and back.

The Greg Smith direct lift 7000 is an China made lift as all his lifts are . There are some fairly good lifts made by China and some very cheap ones. I can replace the seals if they leak but i believe i would have a big problem if i had issures with the steel structure. Hopefully the one i'm looking at is a decent lift. I can't really say you always get what you pay for anymore. The Backyard Buddy and the Superlifts seem to be good lifts if you read there advertisements but they are much more expensive . If i were to store my car on the lift then i would give them a closer look. If anyone else has had a bad experince with a lift then i would like to hear about it. I haven't given up on the 2 post lift either as that would be good for rotating tires on everything but my Shelby as they are different on the front and back.

I have had a superlift for 3 yrs. & it has all USA pump & piston , cable is heavier than most also comes with oil drain tray ,lift tray , & 4 dollys I also got the aluminum ramps way lighter than the steel ones that most come with. I have never had any leakage problem.

The Superlifts are impressive in there advertisement but a little pricey for what i'm wanting to do , but i haven't ruled them out yet. If i were more concerned about storing than servicing then that is one of the lifts i would consider in the top 2 or 3 of those out there. I usually buy very good quality items and i might just yet but to change oil and rotate tires then i have to halfway justify my expense , but of course how do you justify your expense on these cars lol.

I bought a Direct Lift ProPark 8 standard 4 post about a year ago. No issues so far. It cost about $2500 including tax, delivery and set up. It took 2 guys from Benco Machine (local distributor) with their delivery/boom truck about 4 hours to assemble it (in a snowstorm). I haven't done a lot of work under it so far, but I have done basic maintenance work, changed out a hard fuel line, and will be doing a transmission swap on my 65 fastback shortly and don't see any access issues. I decided on a 4 post because I use mine for both storage and work, and I can have drip trays for storage and a pretty beefy sliding jack tray (both included in price) to help hold things with a normal bottle jack (no need to buy a tall stand) when I work by myself. I also didn't want to have it bolted in a fixed location; the included casters work great and I can roll it from stall to stall or even to my external garage by myself as needed. I have a 10' ceiling in my attached garage, and I can fit the 65 up top and park my 90 SSP underneath - as long as I remove the antennas. B)

Archived