TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why a shelby GT

Dcourt

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove a an 08 GT500 back to back with an 08 SGT. The SGT felt more refined (shifting & suspension) and it was a lot easier to enjoy the power available. I loved the blower and raw power in the GT500, but you had to be so much more cautious with power application in that car. I'll be really happy when I get my engine built up more.

I'd never owned a Ford until this one, it was lust at first sight. BTW, I just bought by first Ford Truck last week. The conversion to blue oval is complete.

I like how the SGT was built in the same fasion as the 65' GT350. How the car was delivered to the Shelby plant and then sent out to the dealer. How Shelby got his hands on it first hand. How much it looks like the 66' GT350 with the grill, quarter window, no spoiler, and the vintage body syyle. How affordable it is to the working man. How many people thought you did not get much for the cost of the package , just like they did for 65' GT 350. How the SGT was built to be driven. And of coarse the famous Cobra hood scoop and powered by ford badge. .

They are different animals. The GT is a road racer, the GT500 is almost too powerful for it's own good, and needs a stiffer suspension. Put a supercharger on the GT and you have the equivalent of a new GT350 at half the price and you can have it NOW! Unless you can find a GT/SC that's for sale, then buy that.

I like how the SGT was built in the same fasion as the 65' GT350. How the car was delivered to the Shelby plant and then sent out to the dealer. How Shelby got his hands on it first hand. How much it looks like the 66' GT350 with the grill, quarter window, no spoiler, and the vintage body syyle. How affordable it is to the working man. How many people thought you did not get much for the cost of the package , just like they did for 65' GT 350. How the SGT was built to be driven. And of coarse the famous Cobra hood scoop and powered by ford badge. .

I agree with this too!

Yep - what he said!

Plus - its gorgeous, it has plenty of power and it handles great!

I drove a an 08 GT500 back to back with an 08 SGT. The SGT felt more refined (shifting & suspension) and it was a lot easier to enjoy the power available. I loved the blower and raw power in the GT500, but you had to be so much more cautious with power application in that car. I'll be really happy when I get my engine built up more.

I owned a GT500 and a GT-H at the same time. I sold the GT500 for most of the reasons quoted above. I know the SGT and the GT-H are slightly different but they are similar in many respects.

QSS

They are different animals. The GT is a road racer, the GT500 is almost too powerful for it's own good, and needs a stiffer suspension. Put a supercharger on the GT and you have the equivalent of a new GT350 at half the price and you can have it NOW! Unless you can find a GT/SC that's for sale, then buy that.

u mention its a road racer... do u think it is the best road racing shelby of all time? or is this too big of an assumption?

I completely agree, for me the blower is going to have to wait quite a while though. Till then cams and some other goodies I've got planned should keep me happy :D

Back in mid '06 Ford introduced the GT500. By Xmas '06 I heard about the SGT. The SGT built by FORD, converted into a Shelby and sold as a "new" car, so I could finance 100% of the cost, sounded like a '65 GT350 all over again. The SGT was quoted 0 to 60 in 5.0 seconds, the GT500 was 4.6 seconds. The SGT could be bought for MSRP because the GT500 were ADM at 20K over sticker. A SGT could be supercharged and could out perform a stock GT500.

I have wanted to buy a mustang since i could ride a bike, the SGT seemed like the right car for a show off like me.

Pretty much what everyone has said also resonates with ME.

It had the pedigree, the lighter weight... and I felt that it'd be the better car (in my opinion) to supercharge and further modify.

Jer

I wanted a GT500. The wait list was too long and ADM's were to high. I learned that there was a Shelby GT on the way and decided to get on that list. I was the first to ask and get on at the dealership. I offered to pay sticker and they accepted so I ordered her up! Picked black, manual tranny... The rest is history.

NOW- I am so glad that it worked out this way. I actually prefer the Shelby GT to the GT500. I like that Shelby employees turned some wrenches on my car and that it came out of Vegas.

Always drooled over the original Shelby Mustangs. but always too much $$$ for me.

Then the GT500, but still too much $$$.

THEN the GT-H was announced. I was able to rent one in LA during a business trip. I had a 2004 Mach1 at the time but the GT-H seemed faster.

Next think I new I was driving home in my white 2007 SGT and been smiling ever since.

It's my DD and I never get tired of driving it!!!

Always drooled over the original Shelby Mustangs. but always too much $$$ for me.

Then the GT500, but still too much $$$.

THEN the GT-H was announced. I was able to rent one in LA during a business trip. I had a 2004 Mach1 at the time but the GT-H seemed faster.

Next think I new I was driving home in my white 2007 SGT and been smiling ever since.

It's my DD and I never get tired of driving it!!!

It's funny to me that you mention the Mach 1 feeling slower. I expected the SGT to feel very similar to my Cobra when I drove it, but I agree with you, the SGT feels quite a bit faster and I even have taller gears on the Cobra.

u mention its a road racer... do u think it is the best road racing shelby of all time? or is this too big of an assumption?

I think that the Shelby SR or GT/SR was the best road course racer that shelby has put out. SR stood for street racer it was introduced in 2009 and only a handful of SR cars were built.

I still wish that I could have turned my SGT into a GT/SR but had too many mods done to mine for Shelby eeeerrrrrr ROGER to have allowed mine to be converted. I guess all the mods would have had to come off in order to do it even though they clearly stated in advertising it that if you had a FORD dealer install your Whipple 550 supercharger that they would have converted a SGT into a GT/SR. I had changed the brakes and rims out and had upgraded my interior with the Shelby/Disney interior so these mods would have had to come off.

I actually wasn['t in the market for a new car when I saw the SGT I bought. I'd been at the Fabulous Ford Show at Knotts in April 2008 and saw the 08 Grabber Orange SGT on display. While I was impressed, it really didn't make me want to go out and buy one. At that time I thought that the 08 SGT's would only be available in black, white or orange. Then a few weeks later I was at a Ford dealer buying a part for my 57 Ford a salesman I was talking to about my 57 said they had a couple of 2008 Shelby GT's over in their prep area, would I like to take a look? I said OK and got my first look at the Vista Blue 08SGT1050, it was mine a week later. I loved the stance, the color, the hood scoop, everything about it.

Why did I buy a car I wasn't in the market for? Back in 1964 I bought my first new car, a Mustang coupe from Vel's Parnelli Jones Ford in Torrance. I loved that car, it was a perfect size, had a reasonably strong engine (289, 225 hp, 4-speed, front disc brakes, etc.) I put 49,000 miles on it stop light to stop light and quarter mile at a time (Lions Drag Strip) never going more that 40 miles from home and having a blast. I'd wanted to upgrade to a Shelby GT350 at that time, but just couldn't afford the additional $600 cost or the insurance rates for a single, male, under 25 years old driver on a high performance car. So I buried my dream of owning a Shelby for over 40 years, until I saw my SGT. I've never been sorry, although I wish it had come with a Whipple supercharger. When my extended warrantee runs out and if I can get a smog legal supercharger, I'll have the best of all my dream cars. My 57 Ford and my Shelby GT, what could be better???

Bob

4.6 SHLB

&

57 AGIN

post-28691-0-34736500-1323812539_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-00131900-1323813121_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-34736500-1323812539_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-00131900-1323813121_thumb.jpg

Have to agree with many of the reasons listed, but the clinch factor was its pedigree in autox racing.

F-stock champ in 2007,08, & 09. I got my New England Region championship in it (more credit to the

car than driver), so it's great. And that's stock. Now I feel I can upgade to move up a bit. Superchargers

don't class well in most official race orgs, except drag racing. But in NA form, the SGT can perform very

well in autox, NA drag classes, and track events (compared to NASA AI class cars).

A jack of many trades as this thread attests. No other modern Shelby can match that. And the only other

Shelby that can top it is the original GT-350. Which is my first love, so I'm very cool with that.

-Tom

I wanted to replace my current toy and a Mustang was my top choice. At first I wanted a GT500, but I was not willing to pay ADM's, I was not aware of the Shelby GT at the time. I was then really close to buying a Roush Stage 3 or 427, when I went to test drive one they had a White Shelby GT on the lot next to about 10-15 Roush cars. I loved the Roush, the off road exhaust note was outstanding, but I kept looking at the Shelby GT thinking about how much nicer it looked. The Shelby GT in my opinion is the best looking Mustang of its time. I started looking into them and hesitated just long enough to get X-plan and 0% financing. I love it especially now that it is a GT/SC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the earlier comment we have the performance of the GT350 for almost half the price!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over breakfast one morning three years ago, my wife gave me the "OK" to buy a muscle car. I had been reminiscing much too often about my 69 Charger I had back in the 70s when I was in my early 20s.

Now at 58, I had no idea what I wanted, but I had been given the OK and that was enough. I begin my search on the internet and when I saw it, I knew it was the one I would get. Just can't say it any other way. Kind of like love at first sight.

So flew from Milwaukee to VA in the middle of a winter storm. Bought it in the airport parking lot at 1:00 AM on Christmas eve.

And now on Christmas eve, I will have owned it for three years and I couldn't be happier unless of course I lived down South where I could drive it all year long.

WI winters and Shelby GT were not made for each other.

I wanted a GT500. The wait list was too long and ADM's were to high. I learned that there was a Shelby GT on the way and decided to get on that list. I was the first to ask and get on at the dealership. I offered to pay sticker and they accepted so I ordered her up! Picked black, manual tranny... The rest is history.

NOW- I am so glad that it worked out this way. I actually prefer the Shelby GT to the GT500. I like that Shelby employees turned some wrenches on my car and that it came out of Vegas.

+1 What he said except in white.

Archived