TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Billit Hood Pins

RayMan

Question for you hood pin experts...

I received moderate damage to my 2009 GT-500 during our wind storm here in So Cal last week. Over $5k of body work needs to be done to repair the roof rail, right fender and hood where a canopy took flight and smashed into both of my vehicles (and 3 of the neighbors cars). So I'm taking advantage of this situation by having the stripes painted and a Super Snake hood installed. The hood should be shipped out next Monday or Tuesday.

My question is... when the body shop ordered the hood, Justin at Shelby said that the billet aftermarket hood pins would not fit this hood,

http://www.shelbysto...r3z-6316892.htm

I don't understand why this would be the case. My body shop ordered the stock SS hood pins instead just to be safe. I would really like to have the billet ones if at all possible. Does anyone know if the billet pins would fit on the SS hood and if not, why? If you have them install on said hood can you please post a few pictures.

Thanks for your help!

Ray

Sorry to hear about your car getting damaged ,,,,thats a good question you brought up about the hood pins ,,to me it seems like the billet ones would work as well as the stock SS ones ,,hummm,,has me thinking ,,good luck my friend ,hope all works out for you ,take care .

Question for you hood pin experts...

I received moderate damage to my 2009 GT-500 during our wind storm here in So Cal last week. Over $5k of body work needs to be done to repair the roof rail, right fender and hood where a canopy took flight and smashed into both of my vehicles (and 3 of the neighbors cars). So I'm taking advantage of this situation by having the stripes painted and a Super Snake hood installed. The hood should be shipped out next Monday or Tuesday.

My question is... when the body shop ordered the hood, Justin at Shelby said that the billet aftermarket hood pins would not fit this hood,

http://www.shelbysto...r3z-6316892.htm

I don't understand why this would be the case. My body shop ordered the stock SS hood pins instead just to be safe. I would really like to have the billet ones if at all possible. Does anyone know if the billet pins would fit on the SS hood and if not, why? If you have them install on said hood can you please post a few pictures.

Thanks for your help!

Ray

Well, they "fit on the hood", for sure (I upgraded my original 2007 to the billet ones), but they are a lot thicker, so maybe the mounting angle on the SS hood will inhibit their ability to let the pins pass through... might be a sharp angle... Sounds like THAT is the challenge.

Jer

Hood, pins and vents came in today. The hood looks like it had work done to the front of it. Contour lines don't match up from side to side and the middle piece inside the front vent is sloppy. We will pre-fit the hood on Monday and see if they are major issues.

P1030321.jpg

P1030320.jpg

P1030322.jpg

Has anybody installed the vents to the SS hood? There are four holes in the vents but the hood is so thin that I don't think screws are a viable option. Looks like a 3M tape install. I hate that Shelby does not include install instructions with any of their parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I wanted to post how the billit hood pin install proceeded step by step so hopefully it might answer any future questions. There were no install instructions provided by Shelby which is usual for any of their parts so we made it up as we went along. <_< We ordered both hood pin kits... Shelby's, the hood pin install kit and Scott Drake's kit and then using pieces from both. I don't think the install tool kit is necessary because when using the bumper stop areas on the radiator cover brace they lined up perfectly with the underside of the SS hood (but we didn't know that in advance). Better safe than sorry! Locations of parts and fitment may vary from year to year... my car is an '09. Hope this helps... enjoy!

This is where we installed the pins on the radiator support brace after removing the bumper stop.

HP001.jpg

For the life of us we could not find a way to install the nut from underneath so we drilled an access hole large enough for a socket to fit on the underside.

HP003.jpg

This what the install alignment kit looks like ready for use.

HP004.jpg

When pushing down on the hood the tool leaves an impression under the hood showing where to drill.

HP005.jpg

Here is the hole being drilled on the underside of the hood. Scarey time... no turning back now!

HP006.jpg

The hole after surgery.

HP007.jpg

We prefit the hood pin and put a drop of red paint on top of it to mark inside the the core of the hood so we could drill a pilot hole up through the bottom.

HP008.jpg

Drilling a hole from the top. It then had to be enlargend slightly for final fitment.

HP009.jpg

HP010.jpg

Final adjustments and then we marked indentations for the screws for later install.

HP011.jpg

Painted red inside the engraving because the original blue was not in my color scheme and I wanted to be different. :P

HP012.jpg

Final install. Used special theft deterrent screws just to be unique.

HP013.jpg

Very happy with the results! :wub:

HP014.jpg

Well, I wanted to post how the billit hood pin install proceeded step by step so hopefully it might answer any future questions. There were no install instructions provided by Shelby which is usual for any of their parts so we made it up as we went along. <_< We ordered both hood pin kits... Shelby's, the hood pin install kit and Scott Drake's kit and then using pieces from both. I don't think the install tool kit is necessary because when using the bumper stop areas on the radiator cover brace they lined up perfectly with the underside of the SS hood (but we didn't know that in advance). Better safe than sorry! Locations of parts and fitment may vary from year to year... my car is an '09. Hope this helps... enjoy!

This is where we installed the pins on the radiator support brace after removing the bumper stop.

HP001.jpg

For the life of us we could not find a way to install the nut from underneath so we drilled an access hole large enough for a socket to fit on the underside.

HP003.jpg

This what the install alignment kit looks like ready for use.

HP004.jpg

When pushing down on the hood the tool leaves an impression under the hood showing where to drill.

HP005.jpg

Here is the hole being drilled on the underside of the hood. Scarey time... no turning back now!

HP006.jpg

The hole after surgery.

HP007.jpg

We prefit the hood pin and put a drop of red paint on top of it to mark inside the the core of the hood so we could drill a pilot hole up through the bottom.

HP008.jpg

Drilling a hole from the top. It then had to be enlargend slightly for final fitment.

HP009.jpg

HP010.jpg

Final adjustments and then we marked indentations for the screws for later install.

HP011.jpg

Painted red inside the engraving because the original blue was not in my color scheme and I wanted to be different. :P

HP012.jpg

Final install. Used special theft deterrent screws just to be unique.

HP013.jpg

Very happy with the results! :wub:

HP014.jpg

Looks great! Are you going to be at Fab Ford at Knotts this Sunday? If so, I will look for your car.

Archived