TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fracking concerns

My property sits in a Pennsylvania county on the Marcellus Shale. Just found out that there is an active permit about a 1/2 mile from my property. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this as I wonder about my drinking water and my property value??????? Fracking the well might begin in the very near future...............................HELP :censored:

This has been huge on the news around the Denver area lately also. You will have opinions going either way and you can find absolute evidence either way also. However my personal experience has been no problem. There is a massive fracking rig 200' ouside my bedroom window right now cranking away (24 hours a day I might add). I have my bedroom windows lined with dynamat right now to try and keep the noise down for the next couple months. Man is it loud. We've had some of these wells for over 20 years that have been fracked numerous times over the years with no problems. My water to my house is on a well that is 950' deep, and my pump sits at 800'. Never had any problem with any contamination from the fracking work done. The well being done right now is a horizontal that goes directly under my house (at 6,000' depth.) Again, you can find people that will guarantee you that this is a horrible thing with empirical evidence to back them up, and you can find people who say this is no problem with empirical evidence to back them up. But so far, no problems here. There is a neighborhood out by the Denver airport that has active protests around Halliburton's fracking operations out there because it's within a mile of a school, when the well's right near there have been there many more years than the neighborhood.

The EPA just released this......apparently there is new evidence it in fact DOES poison the ground water.....

http://www.guardian....n?newsfeed=true

wick,

Is that the same EPA that forced CAFE and Gas Guzzler http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420f04053.htm on the auto industry? I'm with Jeff on this one. You can find an abundance of "yes it does" and "no it doesn't" opinions, but I take what our government dishes out with a grain of salt...

I live within a few miles of multiple Fracking sites. Many North Texas communities are fighting to stop the practice, but I personally have not been affected or know anyone who has been affected by this type of extraction though there are reports of poisoned air and water (as well a concerns that it has caused the increasing seismic activity in the region.) that have not yet been confirmed that I'm aware of to be the direct result of the process. The EPA report on the Wyoming community states that it is an isolated event that is specific to Fracking activity in the immediate area. It does not state that all Fracking is of concern. Now, should we believe them?

Personnaly, I torn on the topic. I am concerned by the unknowns which is what kind of long term affect will it have on the environment, but at the same time I know it keeps many Americans employed and helps provide natural resouces that might otherwise be aquire from unfriendly sources.

Then again, the Mayas claim we only have another year to go, so maybe we should just have one big Fracking party until next November!

I drove by what I think must be a fracking well on Tower Road yesterday. It looks like they are winding it down having finished their job that I think they started last summer. This is near the Reunion(?) area west of Tower at about 104th.

I also agree that there is no definitive connection of fracking to ground water. Most of the fracked sites are way way way below the water table.

You've got two major choices:

Depend on foreign oil

or

Find a way to economically extract our own energy.

Energy creation is not pretty. The only option you have is WHERE. Those who don't want fracking just don't want it in their back yards. Go ahead, North Dakota.

Colorado is also not unique in the western US in that mineral rights (as do water rights) travel independently of property rights, and trump them. If a mining company owns the mineral rights where your house is and want to put a gold mine shaft where your living room is they will win. They will have to compensate you but they will dominate. When they're done you can have your lot back.

Well, you do have one other option: Decrease the population and the economy of this country to where it was in roughly 1800, eliminate all modern machinery, electricity, and all that other good stuff and become an agrarian economy again. Somehow I don't think that will go over very well.

wick,

Is that the same EPA that forced CAFE and Gas Guzzler http://www.epa.gov/f...y/420f04053.htm on the auto industry? I'm with Jeff on this one. You can find an abundance of "yes it does" and "no it doesn't" opinions, but I take what our government dishes out with a grain of salt...

and you beleive what the energy conglomerates spew as truth for their own profit?

equally as risky....if not even more so..........

oh so now govt cant do anything right cause you dont like what they have done before..........??.....great logic.............

wait wait........asbestos isnt cancerous cause they claimed it wasnt for years.........so they must be right?

I dont know....just a shot in the dark.......the article (if you read it) states there is new evidence....

you want to disregard it........beautiful.....life is full of choices......

the fact is we dont know......but erring on the side of caution when life and death is involved seems to be an intelligent choice....

if I am right.......cool....If I am wrong....no matter....there is no fracking here.......we have too many cancer spewing factories.....there is no room for fracking! :hysterical:

if you are right......cool...........if you are wrong.............dont sweat it.........your kids can always sue them.

Guest markham51

Political ideology aside, it is clear that fracking IS potentially dangerous to water supplies for several reasons;

You cant see/predict everything underground and geological formations vary from site to site

Chemicals used are potentially life threatening and never disclosed unless forced by government

There are numerous documented cases of water contamination following soon after fracking activities

Does fracking seem like a good idea? Yes. Will mistakes be made in the name of progress? Yes again.

Should the Oil and Gas Companies be left entirely to police themselves when pumping chemicals into the ground? Probably not a good idea...especially if you have kids going to school in the area!

and you beleive what the energy conglomerates spew as truth for their own profit?

equally as risky....if not even more so..........

oh so now govt cant do anything right cause you dont like what they have done before..........??.....great logic.............

wait wait........asbestos isnt cancerous cause they claimed it wasnt for years.........so they must be right?

I dont know....just a shot in the dark.......the article (if you read it) states there is new evidence....

you want to disregard it........beautiful.....life is full of choices......

the fact is we dont know......but erring on the side of caution when life and death is involved seems to be an intelligent choice....

if I am right.......cool....If I am wrong....no matter....there is no fracking here.......we have too many cancer spewing factories.....there is no room for fracking! :hysterical:

if you are right......cool...........if you are wrong.............dont sweat it.........your kids can always sue them.

We have way more to fear from our Government that we do any industry!! As far as the asbestos comment, man has known for 3 thousand years that asbestos will and does kill you. Maybe your refering to Government and Lawyers that wanted to argue the point for profit purposes, but history shows it's affects for 3 thousand years.

Political ideology aside, it is clear that fracking IS potentially dangerous to water supplies for several reasons;

You cant see/predict everything underground and geological formations vary from site to site

Chemicals used are potentially life threatening and never disclosed unless forced by government

There are numerous documented cases of water contamination following soon after fracking activities

Does fracking seem like a good idea? Yes. Will mistakes be made in the name of progress? Yes again.

Should the Oil and Gas Companies be left entirely to police themselves when pumping chemicals into the ground? Probably not a good idea...especially if you have kids going to school in the area!

Colorado just approved today the requirement for Oil and Gas Companies to disclose the chemicals used. Should be interesting.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/235660/339/Colorado-approves-fracking-disclosure-rules-

• 3 weeks later...

"but I take what our government dishes out with a grain of salt..."

I take it as BS. So do the people who used to inhabit this land.

The government is your enemy. They just have you convinced otherwise. That's what the public school system is for.

Hey Rev heads up showed my little italian mom your bouncing Boobs and she's not happy so if you see a little round old lady with a wooden spoon you best run !! :hysterical: But after she beats you she will make you a bowl of pasta while you get rid of the smut.

Archived