TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is that a REAL Shelby, or is it Memorex?

David Hawkins

To bring the Big Question forward to the Late Model Shelbys. Many of the enthusiasts of the older Shelby Mustangs believe that only the 1965 to 1968 Shelby’s are True Shelby’s leaving the 1969-70 Shelby Mustangs out in the cold.

NOW, for the Late model Cars. SAI produced some of the Terlinguas, CS6’s and CS8’s with Quantum Performance and Tasca Ford also producing some, with Licensing from CSLI of course. The question IS…….. are “Shelby Vehicles” built by other Companies, with Licensing from CSLI of course, considered “SHELBY’s”?

I was talking with someone on this topic and Personally, I feel that all “Licensed Shelby” Vehicles produced under Licensing from CSLI and authorized by Carroll Shelby, are Shelby’s, including the Unique Performance Cars as well as others. He feels that only Cars produced at SAI and Ford are Shelby’s. Then I told Him that if He takes away the other Companies that were “Licensed” by CSLI to produce Shelby Vehicles, then He has to take out Ford as well. That just pissed Him off saying that Carroll Shelby works “Hand in Hand” with Ford. My rebuttal was that Carroll Shelby worked “Hand in Hand” with the other Companies as well, even with MY Company. He just walked away after that. Of course the Guy owns a stock 2008 Shelby GT 500 so He wasn’t about to agree with me.

Just my opinion, and we all have one of those, I would not consider a Unique 1967 GT500E a real Shelby. It wasn't built in 1967 as a Shelby. I like the idea of if it qualifies for the registry, then it's a Shelby. I guess the real answer, is in the opinion of the future buyer. This will be discussed, and argued, till the end of time.

He feels that only Cars produced at SAI and Ford are Shelby’s. Then I told Him that if He takes away the other Companies that were “Licensed” by CSLI to produce Shelby Vehicles, then He has to take out Ford as well. That just pissed Him off saying that Carroll Shelby works “Hand in Hand” with Ford.

LOL. Your friend is a elitist. That's the same "high school" mentality as the Ford vs. Chevy. vs. Mopar debate that you so often see exhibited around here (and just about everywhere else).

You might ask your friend if he thinks that when Shelby American was located in Venice & Los Angeles CA, and they were building AC Cobra's and GT350's, if he thinks Carroll Shelby personally built the cars.

Because he didn't. He hired crews to modify the cars to his specification.

Does it matter if his hired hands are in Las Vegas, Texas, Rhode Island or Canada? I mean, it's not like Sheby does the work himself, his hired hands do. And the fact that cars are built under one roof versus another roof DOES NOT change the fact that they were built to Shelby's specification, by a bunch of hired hands.

And honestly, does ANYONE here think that Carroll Shelby designed these cars all by his lonesome? Because again, he did not. To say that would be a low blow to people like Vince. Isn't he the lead designer for SAI/SA who does the majority of Shelby's designs (Super Snake: Hood, Gauge pod, blah X 3)?

Egg-zactly. Case closed.

Personally, I'm not under the misconception that Sheby had anything to do with building my 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, other than being a consultant to Ford Motor Compay, the company that DID build my car.

It's a Ford, not a Shelby.

Having said that, I *do* refer to it most of the time as "my Shelby", "the Shelby", etc. because that's the model of MUSTANG that it is.

Is it as much of a Shelby GT500 as the original GT500's are? Yep. Built in the same fashion (by FORD, not by SHELBY).

Is it as much of a Shelby as the original GT350's are? Nope, they were Mustang's that were MODIFIED under Shelby's roof, just like the AC Cobra was a British Ace, modified to Shelby specs (Little British sports car + Big Ford motor = Cobra) under Shelby's roof.

Just My Honest Opinion/JMHO,

Phill Pollard

I will tell you one thing....

this is definately NOT a Shelby! :hysterical:

Not to argue with you purely for the sake of argument, but....Uhhhmmm, It COULD BE!

Unless you know the VIN, it's impossible to say. It would be a highly modified Shelby, but it could be a Shelby none the less <?shrug?>.

To me, it looks like one of those plastic models or die cast cars you see at stores all over the place. Not "my cup of tea", to say the least.

I do like the hockey stick side stripes but they look more like a Boss than a GT500.

Phill

I think those are Roush stripes.

If they are, they've been modified with the (Shelby owned/licensed) GT500 badge on the lower edge.

They are certainly the same style as what Roush puts on some of his cars but quite frankly, there were "Hockey Stick" stripes around LONG before Jack Roush ever put them on any of his cars so I don't know that one could accurately say that they are "Roush" stripes. I had a '70 'Cuda with Hockey Stick stripes on it and I think the original Boss Mustangs had them too.

Just sayin'.........

Phill

I will tell you one thing....

this is definately NOT a Shelby! :hysterical:

Hmm, is that by *chance* the "Code Red" car?

I've seen vid caps of the Code Red from inside the car but I can not remember ever seeing it from a exterior shot. Or did Shelby put a ext. shot up on that "concept page" that was out awhile back?

Anyone know what the Code Red looks like from the outside?

I see a very red interior (A-pillar) on the car too which may look terrible once you/I see the complete interior. Can you say "too much red"?

Phill

LOL. Your friend is a elitist. That's the same "high school" mentality as the Ford vs. Chevy. vsl Mopar debate that you so often see exhibited around here (and just about everywhere else).

You might ask your friend if he thinks that when Shelby American was located in Venice & Los Angeles CA, and they were building AC Cobra's and GT350's, if he thinks Carroll Shelby personally built the cars.

Because he didn't. He hired crews to modify the cars to his specification.

Does it matter if his hired hands are in Las Vegas, Texas, Rhode Island or Canada? I mean, it's not like Sheby does the work himself, his hired hands do. And the fact that cars are built under one roof versus another roof DOES NOT change the fact that they were built to Shelby's parameters, by a bunch of hired hands.

And honestly, does ANYONE here think that Carroll Shelby designed these cars all by his lonesome? Because again, he did not. To say that would be a low blow to people like Vince. Isn't he the lead designer for SAI/SA who does the majority of Shelby's designs (Super Snake: Hood, Gauge pod, blah X 3)?

Egg-zactly. Case closed.

Personally, I'm not under the misconception that Sheby had anything to do with building my 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, other than being a consultant to Ford Motor Compay, the company that DID build my car.

It's a Ford, not a Shelby.

Having said that, I *do* refer to it most of the time as "my Shelby", "the Shelby", etc. because that's the model of MUSTANG that it is.

Is it as much of a Shelby GT500 as the original GT500's are? Yep. Built in the same fashion (by FORD, not by SHELBY).

Is it as much of a Shelby as the original GT350's are? Nope, they were Mustang's that were MODIFIED under Shelby's roof, just like the AC Cobra was a British Ace, modified to Shelby specs (Little British sports car + Big Ford motor = Cobra) under Shelby's roof.

Just My Honest Opinion/JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Phil, I totally agree with you. The one big question that I always have is what do you think will happen to the value of the new "Shelbys" when Carroll passes away? I dont really care since I will probably hang on to my 2010 GT500 until the day I pass away but I think the 60's GT350 will skyrocket and the "others" will increase some but I wouldnt want to see Ford still put out the "Shelby" model since it just wouldnt be the same to me anyway. JMHO, Brad

Phil, I totally agree with you. The one big question that I always have is what do you think will happen to the value of the new "Shelbys" when Carroll passes away? I dont really care since I will probably hang on to my 2010 GT500 until the day I pass away but I think the 60's GT350 will skyrocket and the "others" will increase some but I wouldnt want to see Ford still put out the "Shelby" model since it just wouldnt be the same to me anyway. JMHO, Brad

Hey Brad,

I was recently told by my SVT dealer that the minute Carroll Shelby passes away, Ford will no longer be able to make a GT500...or *won't* make a GT500.

I'm not sure if it's "can't" or "won't" but 'won't' pretty much covers both. Something about the license agreement between Ford and Shelby.

As for the early model Shelby's (Cobra, GT350, GT500, etc.) my personal belief is that just like a painting, when the "artist" dies the value of the painting generally skyrockets. My feelings are that they early Shelby's will do the same thing.

However, I don't think it will affect the value of the recent GT500's very much, if at all. I do think it might make the GT350's take-off though. But then again, if Ford stops making any more GT500's once Shelby dies, what's out there is out there so the "supply" will end which *generally* makes the demand go through the roof.

So having said all that, his departure may or may not create a feeding frenzy and force the value of the modern GT500's to go crazy.

I'm like you. It makes no matter to me since I really don't plan on selling mine anytime soon, other than to MAYBE update it with a newer model (2013, IF I decided to go that route, totally dependant on dealer pricing and SA plans for the SS upfit).

Only time will tell,

Phill

Archived