TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Spring Package

Got new springs installed on my '08 Coupe this weekend. I had found the original FRPP springs and struts/shocks just too harsh for daily driving over time. Switched to Koni yellow adjustable shocks about a year ago, and that helped, but still was beating up my back a bit. Bought Steeda sport springs and HD upper strut mounts from Sam Strano on his advice. VERY pleased with the results! Seems the Koni's and the Steeda springs are a great combo. Street ride is MUCH better and handling doesn't seem to have suffered at all (no track time). Have the Koni's set at full soft on the rear and 1/2 turn above full soft on the front for daily driving. Ride height came up about 1/2 inch in front and 1/4 in in rear (exactly as quoted in FRPP and Steeda literature). "Stance" looks great with still a slight nose down rake (which I like). With the Steeda springs, which are linear, I can feel the road texture a bit more (which I also like), but bumps are much less noticeable than with the FRPP. Very happy with Strano and with Maximum Velocity Performance here in San Antonio, who did the install.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else considering a similar swap.

Drive a Jeep Wrangler for 1 year as a daily driver. The SGT suspension is like driving a Cadillac comparatively.

So the girl in your avatar, is she riding in your jeep or SGT?? lol

• 3 weeks later...

Front settled about 1/4 in after some driving, rear stayed the same, so overall ride height was increased 1/4 in front and rear. Still very happy w/ ride and handling. Car also got new Pirelli P Zero Nero's which seem like a huge improvement over the original BFG's (although to be fair, I'm comparing new Pirellis with worn BFG's). Car feels stuck to the road like a slot car now!

Drive a Jeep Wrangler for 1 year as a daily driver. The SGT suspension is like driving a Cadillac comparatively.

Got new springs installed on my '08 Coupe this weekend. I had found the original FRPP springs and struts/shocks just too harsh for daily driving over time. Switched to Koni yellow adjustable shocks about a year ago, and that helped, but still was beating up my back a bit. Bought Steeda sport springs and HD upper strut mounts from Sam Strano on his advice. VERY pleased with the results! Seems the Koni's and the Steeda springs are a great combo. Street ride is MUCH better and handling doesn't seem to have suffered at all (no track time). Have the Koni's set at full soft on the rear and 1/2 turn above full soft on the front for daily driving. Ride height came up about 1/2 inch in front and 1/4 in in rear (exactly as quoted in FRPP and Steeda literature). "Stance" looks great with still a slight nose down rake (which I like). With the Steeda springs, which are linear, I can feel the road texture a bit more (which I also like), but bumps are much less noticeable than with the FRPP. Very happy with Strano and with Maximum Velocity Performance here in San Antonio, who did the install.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else considering a similar swap.

What are you running as tire pressure ?? I have sportline spring with the stock shock and kuhmo low profile tire with 30 psi all around and my car rides smooth to the point that it feels to smooth !!!

Currently at 35 psi. Have been playing with 32-35 trying to find the perfect balance between smooth ride, traction, and steering response. Been difficult lately, as the weather here can be 45 deg one day and 70 deg the next day during this time of year, so hard to figure actual pressure at a given moment.

Currently at 35 psi. Have been playing with 32-35 trying to find the perfect balance between smooth ride, traction, and steering response. Been difficult lately, as the weather here can be 45 deg one day and 70 deg the next day during this time of year, so hard to figure actual pressure at a given moment.

Same here but alot of times tires can make or brake the ride comfort I mentioned this before my wife expedition she had 35psi and seating in the back seat. It was painful. I dropped the psi to 30 psi but she put 32 when not looking. But the ride quality was a night day differnce. In my mustang or any sports car, I would check the tires cold sitting outside from there make sure its equal all around. I do 30psi from there after driving 10mls I check the tires again hot to see what the psi is at if its passed 35psi. Then I drop it to 33psi all around. If you keep them at 35psi your going to get a nice kidney punching ride. When the tires cool off check them they should be a psi higher or lower if you liked the ride then leave or keep mess with till your happy. The # 1 adjustment in any race or drag car is tire pressure it makes or breaks the car you can spend a million on suspension and still have a crap of a ride.

Can you tell I have a tire fetish nothing like the smell of fresh rubber !!!! But you should be up on tire tech I research and ask questions before buying a part for my cars that will keep you from wasting money and any regrets. The only time I didn't research it has caused me nothing but grief !!! The wife :drop::hysterical:

Same here but alot of times tires can make or brake the ride comfort I mentioned this before my wife expedition she had 35psi and seating in the back seat. It was painful. I dropped the psi to 30 psi but she put 32 when not looking. But the ride quality was a night day differnce. In my mustang or any sports car, I would check the tires cold sitting outside from there make sure its equal all around. I do 30psi from there after driving 10mls I check the tires again hot to see what the psi is at if its passed 35psi. Then I drop it to 33psi all around. If you keep them at 35psi your going to get a nice kidney punching ride. When the tires cool off check them they should be a psi higher or lower if you liked the ride then leave or keep mess with till your happy. The # 1 adjustment in any race or drag car is tire pressure it makes or breaks the car you can spend a million on suspension and still have a crap of a ride.

Can you tell I have a tire fetish nothing like the smell of fresh rubber !!!! But you should be up on tire tech I research and ask questions before buying a part for my cars that will keep you from wasting money and any regrets. The only time I didn't research it has caused me nothing but grief !!! The wife :drop::hysterical:

Thanks for the input. It does seem like cars with a firm, lowered suspension like the SGT are more sensitive to tire pressure changes. I know the NASCAR crews use it a lot to tune the handling during a race. I dropped the psi down to 32 cold today. I had it at 35 cold for a few days, and it seemed to induce an unpleasant "sharpness" to the ride with no real benefit that I could tell.

My Bmw M3 tire pressure drove me crazy 2psi up 2psi down and it made the drive from hard to soft. I ended up swapping them out for the michelin pilots and it solved my problem. It turned out that when, I installed new rims the tires were to stretched out for the rims. An error on tireracks part and mine for not double checking

Archived