TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to go about doing this

Where do I need to go to match my current Roush belt up with a heavier duty gates belt? The roush belt has been replaced 3 times along with a steeda belt tensionor and it still squeaks!!! It will be good for a few days or even weeks then boom it starts.

If your belt is shredding, the belt is riding too close to the back of a pulley, usually an idler pulley. I had issues with the idler pulley on the top right side (driver's side). On Whipple's, this is a 100mm idler. I replaced it with a flanged idler pulley from Thump RRR which he now markets. This Thump RRR pulley keeps the belt from riding off the back of the pulley under load. You could also have problems with other pulleys, but this was the case for me. The stock Ford pulleys that aren't replaced during the supercharger conversions are very sharp on the backside, and if the belt is riding too close to the backside of the pulley, when under load. it will slip off the backside and be cut by the edges on the back of the pulley. I also installed the Thump RRR tensioner arm which is much better than the stock pulley.

Here is a link to my thread that I posted a while back when I kept having belt issues. I thought it was the Gates belts, but discovered that it was my pulleys. Maybe this thread will help you out. Good luck.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63906-are-gates-belts-inferior-for-supercharged-whipples/page__p__1089847__fromsearch__1#entry1089847

There are 100's of Roush owners running the VPM or JDM 2.49 with 90mm idler the large majority of them without issue.

But a few had belts snap under hard accelaration and hard shifts but the P51 tensioner would cure this, so most upgraded to the P51 tensioner before they had an issue (including my wife's previous car).

Also there are 2 different Roush standard belt sizes depending on the year of car that work fine with the JDM or VPM pulleys, have read they will work fine along with a 10% or 12% OD crank pulley.

If you have a 2005-2006 Mustang with a ROUSHcharger use serpentine belt part #401967 (bad link).

For 2007-2008 use part #402065.

---------------------------------------

There are 100's of Roush owners running the VPM or JDM 2.49 with 90mm idler the large majority of them without issue.

But a few had belts snap under hard accelaration and hard shifts but the P51 tensioner would cure this, so most upgraded to the P51 tensioner before they had an issue (including my wife's previous car).

Also there are 2 different Roush standard belt sizes depending on the year of car that work fine with the JDM or VPM pulleys, have read they will work fine along with a 10% or 12% OD crank pulley.

If you have a 2005-2006 Mustang with a ROUSHcharger use serpentine belt part #401967 (bad link).

For 2007-2008 use part #402065.

---------------------------------------

I have a steeda heavy duty belt tensionr so that is not the problem either. I have replaced the correct roush belt 3 different times.

Archived