TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Atlanta for two days equals a lot of fun!

johnrehder

This last week end I took a NASA HPDE 2 class/event at Road Atlanta. All I can say WOW! The car did great even on BFG KDW2's which were ok but would have preferred R1's. The back stretch was a hoot, foot to the floor until you go over the rise and down to turn 10A then brake hard for a left then right turn. The most I could muster on the back stretch was 130mph and that made the car feel light as I have no front splitter or rear spoiler/wing. The next favorite part was turns 3 thru 5 which were also the most challenging. The track has a lot of elevations and the part between 10b and 11/12 was a rush too! You come over a hill mostly blind and down to a right hand sweeper onto the front straight. The bridge at the top of the hill has markings on it to help you with the lines you want to run downhill. All in all it was a great weekend of driving with 40 other cars in my group.

It did great, since the temps were nver out of the 60's it never really got to hot. Sure helped get the car moving on the straights.

Awesome!!!! Glad you had a great time!! How did the S/C hold up?

You can participate by going to the NASA Southeast web site and signing up for an event. They have the schedule posted for 2012 and it looks like 4 events again at Road Atlanta along with other tracks in the SE USA.

That sounds like great fun. Do you have any pictures or video to share? Can anyone participate in this event?

Thanks!

That does sound fun. Way to drive your car. How did the SGT hold up? Every time I think about going to the track I start thinking about how hard that is on the car. What did you think about that part?

Sounds like you had a blast, yeah any pics or vids? I plan on doing a whole weekend for Sebring in 2012, I've got my extra rotors, pads, and brake fluid stocked up and ready to go. To 2+2, these events are quite safe and if you take care of your car (maint. wise) these cars can take a weekend beating pretty well, I honestly think Auto-X is more harsh on the car.

The car held up fine. It was built for road courses. Drag racing aint my thing and I love driving the car on the track. I can replace front rotors and pads in about 15 minutes now since I have done it so many times! You will wear out tires and brakes pads the most.

That does sound fun. Way to drive your car. How did the SGT hold up? Every time I think about going to the track I start thinking about how hard that is on the car. What did you think about that part?

I'll post some pictures when I get them dowloaded on the computer.

Sounds like you had a blast, yeah any pics or vids? I plan on doing a whole weekend for Sebring in 2012, I've got my extra rotors, pads, and brake fluid stocked up and ready to go. To 2+2, these events are quite safe and if you take care of your car (maint. wise) these cars can take a weekend beating pretty well, I honestly think Auto-X is more harsh on the car.

Great post and thanks for sharing your experience. Shelbys were made to be driven, and the wear and tear on the car is only as severe as you drive the car on the track. In the NASA HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience) you can pretty much drive the way you want and use or abuse the car accordingly. HP brake pads and brake fluid is a good idea. A lot of the driver's have a second set of wheels / tires for the track events, either racing specific Toyos, Goodrich, etc OR a set of GT-500 take-off tires/wheels. The SGT was made handling, so it's great your enjoying the car the way it was meant to be. good luck, regards, Larry

The car held up fine. It was built for road courses. Drag racing aint my thing and I love driving the car on the track. I can replace front rotors and pads in about 15 minutes now since I have done it so many times! You will wear out tires and brakes pads the most.

I only live about five miles from Mid America MotorPlex in Iowa. I think you are helping to convince me to take my SGT out to the track.

You will love the experience. Preparation is the key.

I only live about five miles from Mid America MotorPlex in Iowa. I think you are helping to convince me to take my SGT out to the track.

With my car being a convertible, do they have any restrictions on convertibles for these events?

Would this be the reason why I need to tell my wife that I have to purchase a Boss 302???

Hmmmm....

Andy.

Andy,

If you wife will take my slightly educated response to this, then yes this is the exact reason why

you need to purchase a Boss 302. (And if you have a wife who will even consider such reasons,

the count your blessings.)

-Tom

Most bigger tracks require a roll bar in a convertible. If you find an event you would like to attend the rules are usually easy to find as far as equipment required. I think some beginers classes might not require one.

With my car being a convertible, do they have any restrictions on convertibles for these events?

Would this be the reason why I need to tell my wife that I have to purchase a Boss 302???

Hmmmm....

Andy.

Archived