TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The BOSS motivation the 2013 GT500, not the ZL1.

EL SHELBY

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you guys are looking for the real deal road course car, Ford is currently working on the 302SX. This one should work on a short or long track.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...oncept-at-pri/

Holy Smoke!! Is that rear spoiler, I mean "Wing" for downforce or to add weight to the rear of the vehicle? :drop:

OK I have owned several used GT500's BUT does the current GT500 offer this?.... Your standard Boss offers this. (1) Adjust the exhaust sound level by changing the disk in the side pipes 5/8"-3/4"-7/8" or remove disk ? (2) Adjust the shocks for street or track or in between. (3)Change your engine ECM with a key and have a 302Race tune . (4) Set the speed limit for pit lane speed ? (5) Adjust your rpm launch control @ the strip. (6) In street trim do 4 second flat to 60 and 1/4 mile 12 flat? (7) Production limit to 3000 . (8) Order a Helical rear end . (9) Shave 250lbs off the weight of a GT500. (10)8.5 quart oil capacity . (11) baffled oil pan . (12) Rev rpm limit@ 7500 and 8000 rpm with tracKey. (12) lopey idle that sounds like a 60's big block with tracKey.(13) Raced the whole 302R package for a season to work out the bugs.(14) VC cam timing.(15) High rise intake . (16) Forged internals.(17) CNC machined heads.(18) Sodium-filled exhaust valves.(19) Racing clutch.(20) short-throw shifter. I know I missed something but you get my drift. One HELL of a Sports car for street or track . I Can't believe "Santa" found me a used Boss @ a great price. Thank you Ford engineers for spending much of your own time to bring this legend to market.Hats Off !!!

mach 1 - the 2013 has most of those things - and will blow the shit out of the Boss. Sorry.
If it can put the power down than fine. But $60K VS $43K is hugh !!!I am not knocking the Shelby just FYI about a Ford product. You have to ask yourself do you want a hard core race car for the street or a semi-race car loaded with options ? The new GT500 has it's sights on the ZL1 Camaro period. Leather, sync, xm radio, optional radio ,power seats and glass roof can't get it on the Boss.----"The BOSS is back"

The Gt500 can't compete with the Z class corvette, the 13 has some of you all worked up again like in 07 when the " limited production you never get one at msrp" stuff was going on. Its a different time and place now the new Gt500 is going to be a step forward in offering a more complete package a mustang thats balanced and can hopefully put the power they are giving it down like should have been the case since 2007. The corvettes are lighter and made not to need massive power to be fast. The GT500 is the best Mustang offering like the ZL1 is going to be the best Camaro offering thats its competition. The Boss was catching the GT500 in performance because it was a nicely balanced car good power with good handling out of the box.

With Clutches and transmission problems being a topic around here for a few years now no wonder you see the internals in those areas getting the love they are. They are taking care of the problems that came forward as the 500 matured and are trying to make it a complete and strong offering. I see all the talk about different things that have changed and how much its going to cost because of them I'm hoping Ford realizes that making cost near a corvette is going to turn some people off to the car. The economy is not real great to say the least so they better be pricing it to be competitive with the camaro not the vettes.

I like the 13 and all the stuff they are doing its sounds like its going to be a strong car making the price reasonable for what you get I can see but if they want to dominate which is what appears to be the case offer all the upgrades at a price just alittle higher than the top camaro could put the mullets back in the box.

Just my 2 cents

If it can put the power down than fine. But $60K VS $43K is hugh !!!I am not knocking the Shelby just FYI about a Ford product. You have to ask yourself do you want a hard core race car for the street or a semi-race car loaded with options ? The new GT500 has it's sights on the ZL1 Camaro period. Leather, sync, xm radio, optional radio ,power seats and glass roof can't get it on the Boss.----"The BOSS is back"

Very well said, those are two big issues comparing the two, power to the ground and price. Congrats on your Boss.. Having both cars, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Boss is definitely the best bang for the buck. I agree with kb67 that the stock ''Boss performance is a nicely balanced car with good power and good handling out of the box''. You have to drive both to appreciate the Boss with the new 5.0 Road Runner which is capable of 15 PSI at 800+ HP and proven reliable @ 8400 RPM. Right now you can find a 2012 under MSRP which is $40,995.

Im not a fan of the supercharger, regarless of cooling. If you want to Road Race, stick with the Boss. There is plenty of untapped power and in the long run, it is better suited. Im sure the GT500 will be a beast but.....

I know where you can get one ;)

Chad, get the Boss and you won't look back!

If Chad likes the Grabber Blue Boss then his MSRP is $40,995. for a 302, not LS. I could not see any more performance difference between the two is why I thought the best bang for the buck was the 302 and kept the 7k. I also would never sell my 07 for a 13.

Not bad for 444HP

http://mustangsdaily...s-11-7-117-mph/

WOW this is the first time I figured out to how reply to more than one post at a time.

2013 BOSS Grabber Blue 302 it is. My main focus of this new beast is to use it for road course racing so I don't need 650 HP and I don't need a supercharger but what I do need is forged internals that can handle high revs in a light weight car that handles very well and will be able lay down all 444Hp to the ground and have it affordable so the BOSS is the best choice for what I am looking for in my next ride.

Thanks all for your advice

Earlier this year there was a comparison done of all the current Mustang models. It is the only head-to-head that I've come across where the GT500 is compared to a Boss 302LC. I believe the lap times they published were at the 1.8 mile Streets of Willow Springs road course (not the 2.5 mile main track which would favor the GT500 a bit more). For the GT500, they did mention it was a well worn press/media demo car that exhibited sloppy 1- 2 shift problems. No mention of the condition of the Boss 302 LC was made.

The GT500 was quickest in the 1 lap road course. I would imagine that heat soak after a few laps would take it's toll on the 2011 GT500 lap times.

I'd expect the 2013 GT500 with the adjustable suspension package to stretch that 1 lap margin of victory a bit more and to resist heat soak for a considerably longer time.

http://www.insidelin...-shoot-out.html

2011 Mustang V6 Premium

2011 Mustang GT Premium

2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca

2011 Shelby GT500

As-tested Price $28,690 $39,680 $47,990 $55,330

0-60 mph (sec.) 5.8 5.2 4.6 4.6

1/4 mile (sec. @ mph) 14.1 @ 100.3 13.2 @ 109.3 12.7 @ 113.4 12.6 @ 115.8

Skid pad

(200-ft. diameter)

lateral g

0.93 O.93 0.98 0.99

Slalom, 6x100 ft. (mph) 67.3 70.3 72.0 70.1

Road course

lap time

(min., sec.)

1:30.9 1:28.2 1:26.1 1:25.6

60-0 mph (ft.) 111 11O 107 110

As-tested weight (lbs.) 3,496 3,615 3,622 3,808

OK I have owned several used GT500's BUT does the current GT500 offer this?.... Your standard Boss offers this. (1) Adjust the exhaust sound level by changing the disk in the side pipes 5/8"-3/4"-7/8" or remove disk ? (2) Adjust the shocks for street or track or in between. (3)Change your engine ECM with a key and have a 302Race tune . (4) Set the speed limit for pit lane speed ? (5) Adjust your rpm launch control @ the strip. (6) In street trim do 4 second flat to 60 and 1/4 mile 12 flat? (7) Production limit to 3000 . (8) Order a Helical rear end . (9) Shave 250lbs off the weight of a GT500. (10)8.5 quart oil capacity . (11) baffled oil pan . (12) Rev rpm limit@ 7500 and 8000 rpm with tracKey. (12) lopey idle that sounds like a 60's big block with tracKey.(13) Raced the whole 302R package for a season to work out the bugs.(14) VC cam timing.(15) High rise intake . (16) Forged internals.(17) CNC machined heads.(18) Sodium-filled exhaust valves.(19) Racing clutch.(20) short-throw shifter. I know I missed something but you get my drift. One HELL of a Sports car for street or track . I Can't believe "Santa" found me a used Boss @ a great price. Thank you Ford engineers for spending much of your own time to bring this legend to market.Hats Off !!!

Ah, the question is, do you want all this :)

Neither car is a hard core race car

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

In speaking of why Ford took the GT500 to the 650HP. I do not think it was due to the current Boss 302 as these are very different cars and both great cars. (2012 GT500 AND Boss 302)

I will bet (say a hole in a donut to the donut) that the 2 each real reasons Ford did this is so that:

1. In late 2013 Ford will introduce the 2014 Boss 351 at around 500 to 525 HP utilizing the 5.8 without the blower. Watch out of the 5.8 to be the roadrunner version and be installed in the Boss 351. That would not look good for the GT500 unless the GT500 had say a 100 or so more HP. Recall that in 1969, 1970 and the in 1971 the Boss 351 which would blow the door off the 302 cars, well in the 1/4 mile but not on the road course. ( I know as I have owned all 3) Expect the same in 2014. ( my thoughts anyway)
  2. I feel most cetian the the ZL1 had a lot to do with the options being offered on the 2013 GT500 such as the track pack etc...

Anyway, my 2 cents as this is fun speculating and reading you guys comments. What are your thoughts of the normal aspired 5.8 (351) Boss for 2014. I think that would be too cool.

Take Care,

-Billy

Billy,

Given the SC'd 5.8L R&D and required tooling at the Romeo Niche Line assembling facility, a 2014 Boss 351 would provide a good return on investment for Ford and repeat history in the process...

Would a N/A 5.8 out perform the Boss motor though?

I think the timing is perfect for the return of a "351 n/a" powered Mustang. I don't know that Ford would want the completion of a Boss 351 while still trying to sell Boss 302’s but maybe a 351 powered Mach 1 could bridge the gap to the next generation?

It worked in 2003/04 with the return of the SN95 Mach 1 as the body style got old waiting on the new chassis for 2005. They’ve already shown they will jump “generations” as there was a 2001 Bullit and then a 2008 Bullit too.

With all the hoopla being made over the 2013 Shelby GT-500, it would be the perfect time to sneak something in like a 2013 Mach 1 in the fall of 2012 to boost sagging sales while people are waiting on the new styled 2015 model. Maybe one last shot at retro and use styling clues from the 1971 to 73 Mach 1 years along with the 5.8 or 351 engine?

Just do a search on www.cars.com. There are GT500s in stock everywhere and very few Boss's to be found at least in my area of the country. No one around me is offering a Boss LS's for less than $10K over sticker.

The Boss has shown up on nearly every 10 best this year. The (pre-2013) GT500 rarely gets mentioned at all these days in the press. The Boss is a lighter, cheaper car that is within a 1/10 of second on all major performance measures and by all accounts easier to drive. Both cars are capable of much more than what can sanely be done on the street so the 1/10 of a second can really just be ignored 99% of drivers.

I've kicked around the idea of the Boss myself, even spent an afternoon failing to negotiate a decent price on a Boss LS.

I really like my GT500. But, I'm not sure there is even a debate here. SVT had to do something with the GT500 or it would quickly fade into history behind the Boss independent of what Chevy was doing. That being said, I'd imagine the discounts are starting to grow on 2012 GT500s. Discounted GT500 vs MSRP or over on a Boss is a much tougher call.

No one around me is offering a Boss LS's for less than $10K over sticker.

Same here (Co. Springs, CO) and that's IF you can find one for sale.

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

The 2012 Boss really puts the '07-09 GT500s to shame. Ford has scrambled to justify the GT500s price with additional HP and some electronic crap to partially overcome the 500s inability to utilize its original power levels. It will be interesting to see if Ford has addressed the GT500s severe, inexcuseable, traction problems in any meaningfull way. They have yet to do so to date.

The 2012 Boss really puts the '07-09 GT500s to shame. Ford has scrambled to justify the GT500s price with additional HP and some electronic crap to partially overcome the 500s inability to utilize its original power levels. It will be interesting to see if Ford has addressed the GT500s severe, inexcuseable, traction problems in any meaningfull way. They have yet to do so to date.

I'll probably fall over in my chair the day you make a post without offending someone. You must be very unhappy, so sad.

Archived