TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby Owner Arrival

mhh371

Wanted to take a moment and announce my emergence into the Shelby world.

After dreaming of owning one for years, I had actually set out looking to pick up a Boss 302 and was turned off by the ADM.

That meant it was time to live my dream and buy a Shelby. Began looking at GT500's again and found "the one".

1631 miles, Grabber Blue with Colorado Red striping (1 of 59) 2010 with the electronics package.

She is home now and has been loads of fun.

The Mrs is asking me when the new will wear off, thinking she doesn't like going down the street sideways or something!!

I'm in Louisiana and look forward to meeting other owners.

Attaching the photo arriving at home. Be glad to post more if others are interested.

I am very open to feedback if people have advice on exterior and interior care (ie. Best cleaning tips and vendors for the paint etc...)

Cheers,

Heath

post-34799-0-86958000-1323037365_thumb.jpg

post-34799-0-86958000-1323037365_thumb.jpg

The Mrs is asking me when the new will wear off, thinking she doesn't like going down the street sideways or something!!

Sheesh, wimmin.

The first time I stomped on mine (as soon as the 5 mile rev limiter expired) my wife started hitting me on the arm and screaming "SLOW DOWN, SLOW DOWN....I KNEW you were going to do that!".

Man, she's got NO concept of FUN!

Phill

Agreed! I think she forgets how fast her car is....just in a different smooth progression up instead of the awesome violent of the GT500.....I am very pleased that I went with the Shelby vs. a Boss! While I am sure they are fun....it is still not a Shelby!! Maybe our wives need to go do their thing and we can go cruise! I'm down like a fat kind on a see saw to just get out and ride, I did not make the purchase to sit and look at, I am going to have as much fun as the law will allow....or rather what I can get away with.

Nice picture, but Jeff Foxworthy would say; "You might be a Red Neck, if you park your Ford Truck in the side yard!

Cool otherwise......

That's a 1967 F100. Runs drives and pretty easy on the eyes. First vehicle I ever drove and I'm still driving it! It normally sits out back but was upfront for an oil change.

I was looking for a Boss 302 too but liked the look of the Shelby a bit more and the options like HIDs and NAV which were not available with the Boss. I also really wanted a Kona blue car which I eventually found.

I love grabber blue but already have another mustang ('70 Boss 2) with this color. Congrats! I just joined the Shelby world a few weeks ago and am very happy with the car.

Wanted to take a moment and announce my emergence into the Shelby world.

After dreaming of owning one for years, I had actually set out looking to pick up a Boss 302 and was turned off by the ADM.

That meant it was time to live my dream and buy a Shelby. Began looking at GT500's again and found "the one".

1631 miles, Grabber Blue with Colorado Red striping (1 of 59) 2010 with the electronics package.

She is home now and has been loads of fun.

I'm in Louisiana and look forward to meeting other owners.

Attaching the photo arriving at home. Be glad to post more if others are interested.

I am very open to feedback if people have advice on exterior and interior care (ie. Best cleaning tips and vendors for the paint etc...)

Cheers,

Heath

Welcome to Team Shelby. I like the GB/Red! Just curious if plan to mod the car at all???

I too had a dream of owning a Shelby. Did the right things and took care of my priorities first and then last year purchased an 11 GT500 vert. Told my wife I would not mod it at all. After joining the forums and seeing what I was missing out on, the modding began 2 months after purchase and has not stopped. I have kept all of the original parts. The upside is that I didn't have trouble telling her what I wanted for Christmas when she asked I said "Kenne Bell 2.8 LC stage 3 kit. After hearing the cost I think she liked the idea of buying a sweater or a watch. Guess I will just have to ask Santa for that KB.

Enjoy the new car!!

That's a 1967 F100. Runs drives and pretty easy on the eyes. First vehicle I ever drove and I'm still driving it! It normally sits out back but was upfront for an oil change.

I just figured I'd add a little harmless humor. I do the same thing with quick Kodak moments (not looking at what's in the background).

Exterior care: I find that Meguiars NXT 2.0 Liquid wax gives the best reflectivity and results overall on our Grabber Blue color. I tried a few others and they just did not do the same thing.

Interior care: I haven't done ANYTHING at all to the interior besides vacuuming the carpets. My interior looks exactly the same way as the day I brought the car home. The only thing I do is wipe it down with damp soft cotton towel on occasion.

I just figured I'd add a little harmless humor. I do the same thing with quick Kodak moments (not looking at what's in the background).

I didn't take offense to it! Not like I had a shovey in the background though! The truck is a part of me and I can say that the car is now as well; however, I'll crop future pictures!!

Welcome to Team Shelby. I like the GB/Red! Just curious if plan to mod the car at all???

Thanks! At this time I do not plan on modding the car. But that could change at some point. A few of the local drivers have some modded (in some cases, heavily) cars. I've found a lot of fun stuff to do with the car as sits now, and I'll close with a little less wheel hop wouldn't be a bad thing!!

Exterior care: I find that Meguiars NXT 2.0 Liquid wax gives the best reflectivity and results overall on our Grabber Blue color. I tried a few others and they just did not do the same thing.

Interior care: I haven't done ANYTHING at all to the interior besides vacuuming the carpets. My interior looks exactly the same way as the day I brought the car home. The only thing I do is wipe it down with damp soft cotton towel on occasion.

Thanks for the feedback!! My car will sit for 5 to 6 weeks at time when I go back to work. So trying to make sure it is taken care of before I cover it up for a length of time. It will be inside with a cover. I live in an area that has some humidity issues at time. Just wanting it to stay just like it is!

Famous last words! <lol>

Phill

Yes Phil I understand this. Couple of friends with 500's, one being heavily modded, are asking what are "we" going to do first. They do recommend a rear suspension tweak to minimize the wheel hop. But I'm starting to get the hang of driving with the gas and seeing what RPM she breaks loose.

On that note, why can I get hooked up from 1500 (rolling start of sorts) to 4 grand and then it looses. I thought the peak HP was a bit higher. Any recommendations on where to set the shift point? Currently I'm at 5100 as I get more familiar with the car I'll move it up.

I have ordered a set of rear tires for it. Guy thought I was crazy when I came in and had him put some on order. Figured it was better to have them on the shelf. Small town USA and all. So they are not a common order to say the least!

I believe that's the best color combo they ever put on the newer GT500's. I was pissed they discontinued it in '11 and now that I'm getting

ready to order a '13, I'm hoping they decide to bring it back...but I doubt it.

Negative. The Grabber Blue / Red Stripe Combo was available in 2011…just not in SVTPP form. A total of Three were produced – two still around that I know of as one was totaled in a rollover. I am pretty sure it was still avail in 2012...

The Grabber Blue / Red Stripe Combo was available in 2011…

<SNIP>

I am pretty sure it was still avail in 2012...

Yes, it is/was. I just went to the Ford.com site and the "Build your own" section. It allowed me to build a Grabber Blue with Colorado Red OTT stripes. I tried to do the same with the SVTPP and it changes the body color to black when I try to add the Red Stripes/Black Accents (SVTPP style stripes) so the GB/Rd. is not available in SVTPP, as you already stated.

And that is for the 2012 MY GT500, not '11 or '13.

HTH,

Phill

On that note, why can I get hooked up from 1500 (rolling start of sorts) to 4 grand and then it looses. I thought the peak HP was a bit higher. Any recommendations on where to set the shift point? Currently I'm at 5100 as I get more familiar with the car I'll move it up.

I have found that if I shift *just* before I hit the rev limiter (6200 rpm) the car really responds. If I just barely BUMP the chip the car is considerably slower. That means I have to shift when I see the tach hit 6K rpm so by the time my feet/hand respond to my brain signal, the rpm is just below 6.2K rpm.

Shift earlier and you leave a BUNCH of your power band on the table. Shift later and the limiter kills the engine, closes the throttle blade and by the time you recover you've lost boost and the engine R's are well below the power band so you have to build R's back up to get into the power band.

NOTE: The "Power Band" Is defined as the area between Peak Torque and Peak Horsepower. Ideally, you want the engine to be *just* below peak Tq. when you upshift to take advantage of the Tq. to pull you through the next gear.

You're shifting WAY early if you're shifting at 5,100 rpm. The *peak* HP *is* higher than 4,000 rpm. That's just where you "come onto the pipe" (4K rpm) so if you stay in it, you'll just blow the tires off the car. I've learned to "pedal" the car right as it hits the point of spinning the tires, in both 1st and 2nd gear. All I do is contemplate the point where tire spin occurs and let off the gas a tad BEFORE they spin and give it *just* enough pedal so the tires spin LIGHTLY (pressing the pedal slightly more as speed picks up and tires spin less).

It's not hard to learn. It's not a art, it's more of a "getting used to" the car.

Oh yeah, I dropped my rear tire pressure down to 20 psi and it makes a HUGE difference in traction. I still have to pedal the car in 1st (as described above) but in 2nd it didn't spin at all and it pulls like a freakin' freight train. For the first time in my life I felt what I've heard talked about by race car drivers....a nauseas<sp?> feeling from the G force because it was pulling so hard. I'm running the 18" KR wheels and Winged Boot tires (and a 750 HP FRPP/Whipple 2.9L SC) so that might make some difference but try it with the regular F1 supercar tires that come on a GT500...you may be VERY surprised. I know I was. I don't run them daily at 20 psi, only when I want to play. It made a HUGE differenc on ride quality too. I went from hearing tire slap on every road seam I drove over to a nice cushy ride (in the rear).

HTH,

Phill

I have found that if I shift *just* before I hit the rev limiter (6200 rpm) the car really responds. If I just barely BUMP the chip the car is considerably slower. That means I have to shift when I see the tach hit 6K rpm so by the time my feet/hand respond to my brain signal, the rpm is just below 6.2K rpm.

Shift earlier and you leave a BUNCH of your power band on the table. Shift later and the limiter kills the engine, closes the throttle blade and by the time you recover you've lost boost and the engine R's are well below the power band so you have to build R's back up to get into the power band.

NOTE: The "Power Band" Is defined as the area between Peak Torque and Peak Horsepower. Ideally, you want the engine to be *just* below peak Tq. when you upshift to take advantage of the Tq. to pull you through the next gear.

You're shifting WAY early if you're shifting at 5,100 rpm. The *peak* HP *is* higher than 4,000 rpm. That's just where you "come onto the pipe" (4K rpm) so if you stay in it, you'll just blow the tires off the car. I've learned to "pedal" the car right as it hits the point of spinning the tires, in both 1st and 2nd gear. All I do is contemplate the point where tire spin occurs and let off the gas a tad BEFORE they spin and give it *just* enough pedal so the tires spin LIGHTLY (pressing the pedal slightly more as speed picks up and tires spin less).

It's not hard to learn. It's not a art, it's more of a "getting used to" the car.

Oh yeah, I dropped my rear tire pressure down to 20 psi and it makes a HUGE difference in traction. I still have to pedal the car in 1st (as described above) but in 2nd it didn't spin at all and it pulls like a freakin' freight train. For the first time in my life I felt what I've heard talked about by race car drivers....a nauseas<sp?> feeling from the G force because it was pulling so hard. I'm running the 18" KR wheels and Winged Boot tires (and a 750 HP FRPP/Whipple 2.9L SC) so that might make some difference but try it with the regular F1 supercar tires that come on a GT500...you may be VERY surprised. I know I was. I don't run them daily at 20 psi, only when I want to play. It made a HUGE differenc on ride quality too. I went from hearing tire slap on every road seam I drove over to a nice cushy ride (in the rear).

HTH,

Phill

Nice explanation of "pedaling" in low gears. Makes a world of difference! :shift:

HTH,

Phill

Thanks Phil, great write up and I fully understand it when you put it into two stroke terms. I can relate to those easy enough! I'm learning the car, and agree that it is getting to know the car and not an art, but I'm certain there are a lot of tricks that have been learned that will be (as you did) shared!! That's what I'm looking for here.

I think a better question would have been simply put "whats the ideal shift point to minimize tire spin", which you answered with ease!!

School me men and ladies. I'm a sponge.

Thanks again all!

Archived