TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to care for KR wheels

dvups1

If this questin has been asked, I apologize. Are the factory 18" wheels coated? Do they need to be polished? Are they uniformly shiny (almost chrome) or are they dull in some places? I like the Armour All brand of brake dust repellant. Anyone use this product on the factory Alcoas?

If this questin has been asked, I apologize. Are the factory 18" wheels coated? Do they need to be polished? Are they uniformly shiny (almost chrome) or are they dull in some places? I like the Armour All brand of brake dust repellant. Anyone use this product on the factory Alcoas?

The finish is called Durabrite, and there is some variance within the finish on my wheels, ie: dulling.

I've not used any other products other than soap & water or spray detailer

Ok, thanks. I haven't run across another KR yet so I have nothing to compare mine to. Some inset areas seem to be "tarnished" or not as polished as the face areas.

Ok, thanks. I haven't run across another KR yet so I have nothing to compare mine to. Some inset areas seem to be "tarnished" or not as polished as the face areas.

Do NOT polish them. Alcoa recommends a mild soap and water, ONLY.

The Dura-Bright finish is a patented finish from Alcoa. I'm not sure if it's a anodize procuct or what but it is very durable. If you use a caustic cleaner it will permanantly dull the finish and you can not get them refinished.

It is the same process used on the big Alcoa Semi Tractor (Semi Trucks) wheels that you see fancy Semi's with.

FWIW, I have a soft spoke brush I use with the same soap I use for the body of my car (car wash soap) to clean my KR wheels with.

Phill

Here's the Alcoa info.

Thanks for posting that. I have that same info on a C-D that was included with my Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels when I bought them but I couldn't figure out how to grab just that file off of the disc.

Thanks,

Phill

Archived