TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side Fender Badge Problems

So I bought my 2008 VB SGT #395 on November 12, 2011 from a dealer in South Carolina. The dealer bought the car from the son whose father owned it and is no longer living. Before I bought the car I noticed that the original owner removed the side fender Powered BY Ford badges off. I asked the dealer to find out where the badges were at so I could get the car back to original. The dealer asked but could not retreive them. So I thought not a problem I'll just call Shelby and order new ones from the unique parts list. I thought I would just give them my VIN #, Shelby #, even a copy of my registration #. Shelby Parts refers me to Ford Performance Parts. The guy asks for my last 6 digits of my VIN #. Asks me what happened to my original ones. I say the previous owner removed them and that he is no longer living. The guy from FPP tells me well you need to submit a police report to us to classify them as solen before we can issue new ones. This is Shelby policy. I said you have got to be kidding me. The original owner is not even alive. Needless to say this is not right. I am seriously thinking about buying them on ebay.

I would do just as you said and buy them on ebay.

In my memory these, and other like parts, have been only replaced if stolen and not if they are simply removed and lost. To do otherwise would mean that any unique part could be had with a "I lost my homework" and the whole program would mean pretty much nothing.

Sure it's not fun for you but I'm sure you can see the challenges this would bring. I suspect that's why SPP is holding to the stated policy that's been published here more than a few times.

BTW: I would ask the dealer to reimburse you too!

Even though it sucks, I have to agree with Jeff. Trying to keep those unique parts

out of circulation is a worthy but not fun side of the business. Heck, the ones you buy

off ebay could be the ones removed from your car (I know slight chance).

Most likely is that the ones you see on ebay are from the offer Ford Racing had for

buying their crate motors a while back. When I asked Gary P. about it early this year,

he made it clear that SA was not happy with Ford doing this as they thought an

agreement was in place to keep them Shelby unique.

-Tom

The PBF fender badges are all made of plastic. This topic was kicked around quite a lot in earlier TS posts. There are roughly three, ever so slightly different, PBF badges out there. They were used on the 2007-2008 SGTs and the new GT-350s. It would be impossible to state which variation is correct or incorrect for any specific car. If you have one missing then you should attempt to find a match, otherwise, no-one can tell you, which variation came on your car. There may be some that disagree with this point of view, but there is just no way to know for sure what came on your car (if now missing) . Many of the PBF badges offered for sale, did in fact, come from the crate motors that Ford Racing sold. Good luck with getting your badges. regards, Larry

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought a set of Powered By Ford Badges on ebay. I also bought a set from a company called Ford Clearing House. GTH007 is right, there is a slight difference between the sets of badges. The difference is this:

Ebay ones have the red and blue stripes between the POWERED BY lettering painted in a gloss paint with the black paint associated with POWERED BY being a flat black paint. The ebay ones have a LH & RH on the back.

Ford Clearing House have the red and blue stripes between the POWERED BY lettering painted in a flat paint with the black associated with POWERED BY being a gloss black paint. The Ford Clearing House ones do not have a LH & RH on the back.

The letter spacing between the "D" and "B" on POWERED BY is different between the sets.

My first question is would several people please chime in and let me know which set would be the most popular. I believe that the red and blue stripe flat paint ones are the most popular ones and would probably be the closest to the orginal that came on my car.

Second question is could somebody measure just where the badges are to be placed on the front fenders. There is a factory crease on each front fender. If somebody could measure from that crease to the top of their badge and then over towards the door jam area that should give me the exact location to place the new badges.

I really appreciate everybody's help. Everybody have a Happy Holiday.

Thanks

SGT1197

Over the period of years Ford no doubt contracts with different companies to make these. Each company has to make a master, adapt to their manufacturing equipment, etc. In the "big flick" no one is going to care or notice. The only reason you can is you're looking for differences and you have them side by side. I'd go with the ones that say RH, LH, or flip a coin. :shrug:

I don't have a tape measure or I would measure for you.

I'd have someone measure as the enclosed picture shows.

image011.jpg

image011.jpg

Per Jeff's diagram, I measure in inches 14-7/8ths and 3-3/8ths. That's from the upper left corner

of the badge to the fender/hood gap for the top measurement. The side measurement is from the

upper right corner of the badge to the fender/door gap.

Lets see if we can get someone else to confirm first.

I also agree with everyone else... no one but you will care about the differences. Choose the one

you prefer. I swapped the grill pony badge for one that was used on the 65/66 Mustangs & GT-350

(NOS) for my own enjoyment; no one else will ever notice or care.

-Tom

$99 a set from fordclearinghouse on ebay? A little steep I'd say.

Any idea where I could have gotten them cheaper I'm all ears. Since Ford Performance wanted a police report and the original owner removed the badges and has passed away this was my my only recourse.

I think $99 is cheap based upon what I see them going for. IMHO!

Jeff you are right. $99.00 is actually what Ford Performance sells theirs for which is the company you have to go thru to file a claim. I originally contacted Shelby and they referred me to Ford Performance for the sale.

Guys I understand what you are saying about at the end of the day who cares about what version of badge you have on your car. The thing is I do and yes I am very anal. I want my car to be as stock as possible. Others what something else and thats great to each his or her own. Unfortunately I cannot get my original badges back but I can sure come very close based on the two very similiar but yet different sets I have.

Really all I need is for someone to tell me if your red and blue stripes on your badges is painted with a gloss paint or flat paint. Also a confirmation of the measurement numbers of 14-7/8ths and 3-3/8ths listed would be great.

Here is mine. The red and blue stripes appear more flat then the chrome but have the same gloss finish when looked at an angle and to the touch.

Now ALL THIS SAID there is no reason not to believe that there may even be differences between the 07 and 08 when closely inspected. On the other hand someone may have stole my badges and replaced them with fakes! Oh wait...son of a $#%&!

P.S. Honestly, if it means that much to you, I would keep my eye out over the years for a totaled 08 SGT and buy the badges. I think that's the only thing that will truly satisfy your requirements.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Really all I need is for someone to tell me if your red and blue stripes on your badges is painted with a gloss paint or flat paint. Also a confirmation of the measurement numbers of 14-7/8ths and 3-3/8ths listed would be great.

Gloss and the measurements are the same on my SGT, plus 7-1/16" from the top of the vinyl stripe to the bottom of the badge following the contour of the fender.

Here is mine. The red and blue stripes appear more flat then the chrome but have the same gloss finish when looked at an angle and to the touch.

Now ALL THIS SAID there is no reason not to believe that there may even be differences between the 07 and 08 when closely inspected. On the other hand someone may have stole my badges and replaced them with fakes! Oh wait...son of a $#%&!

P.S. Honestly, if it means that much to you, I would keep my eye out over the years for a totaled 08 SGT and buy the badges. I think that's the only thing that will truly satisfy your requirements.

It's sad to read such sarcastic humor. This post makes me feel like I am being made fun of. We could all make fun of each and every post that is on the forum but that is not why this forum was created. It's for ideas, suggestions and to help people. Honestly, I expected more from a Moderator such as yourself.

It's sad to read such sarcastic humor. This post makes me feel like I am being made fun of. We could all make fun of each and every post that is on the forum but that is not why this forum was created. It's for ideas, suggestions and to help people. Honestly, I expected more from a Moderator such as yourself.

Sorry you took it that way. Good luck!

There is a lot of harmless fun poking that goes on the forum, try to take it in stride, we have all tried to help you work through this problem with your Shelby. It's all good, why not install your two new ones, hire a teenager to steal them, file a report for the record and order a replacement set from Shelby. Did I really say that. Good grief, my sugar level must be too high from the Choir Party I just got home from. All that sugar and singing went to my head.

Went out to the garage and looked at mine on my 08 SGT/BJ the stripes red and blue are both gloss, the blue oval is gloss and the ford letters in the blue oval are raised. Hope this helps.

GG

I just checked the measurements on my 2008 SGT. My PBF badge is 14 7/8 down from the hood seam and 3 1/2 inches from the door seam. The blue and red stripes are glossy, and the black between the letters appears to be flat. I hope this helps.

Archived