TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel & Tire question

I am thinking of replacing my bullet style wheels with a set of SVT 2010 Shelby GT500 wheels. The wheels I have now are 18X8.5 and the new ones are 18X9.5, Now I know the wheels will fit the car, but the real question I have is will the tires I have on my current wheels fit. The tire size I have now is 235R5018 and the recommended tire size for the new wheel is 255R4518. I realize the new wheel is approx 1" wider, but I don't want to get new tires when the ones I have now only have 5K on them.

Will this change the performance and wear of the tires? Will it look like crap? Any opinions out there?

Thanks, Joe

The full section width of the 235 is 9.25". Suggested wheel width is 6.5 - 8.5". I don't think they would go on a 9.5 very easily. i wouldn't think they would wear well or look right even if they could get them to pop. The 255/45/18 has a section width of 10.03" with recommended wheel width of 8-9.5".

Here's the web site that I like best for comparing different tire sizes etc. It shows proper wheel widths, etc. It works great.

http://www.1010tires...ecalculator.asp

I would take advantage of the current tire/wheel packages out there for the SVT 2010 wheels and get a much better

performance out of them compared to the crappy stock tires. Then you can either sell the tires and/or wheels. Personally,

I'd keep the wheels and later swap the tires from the SVT wheels to the Bullet wheels (they fit just fine), and go for

something more exotic for the SVTs when you get the extra coin. Drag radials or R-coumpound... :drool:

-Tom

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone. I really like the SVT rims, but it's a bad time for me to invest in new tires. (Taxes / Insurance / Holiday bills etc). I need to give this a bit more thought. No sleep tonight.......

Archived