TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grill insert and billet hood pin caps done

I bought a grill insert and hood pin plates from AM. The grill insert covers the opening in the lower facia. It only takes 1 minute to install, once you figure it out, and really finishes off the lower front. And the metal plates on the hood that come with the Shelby GT are SH*T!. No wonder everyone's hood gets scratched! The look like they came from JC Whitney. The ones from AM have some depth and SHELBY stamped on them. The only part I used from the kit is the plates. The rest of the stuff is identical to what came on the car. So I have a set of Shelby hood pins available cheap if anyone wants them.

Yes, I too purchased that very cool Lower Grille Insert and it really does complete the look of the front end! I just needed to cut out a little piece on each side to accommodate the stainless steel support rods for my APR Splitter. But, this grille insert is so easy to install and looks stock!

As for the hood pin plates aren't they the exact same ones "Brushed Anodized Aluminum Finish" that came with our SGT's from Shelby? Just minus the "GT" part of it. I could be wrong but they look the same to me. They will maintain there clean/ new appearance as long as one is careful when pulling the pins, etc. I bought a new set from Shelby themselves when I replaced my hood scoop, hood stripes and then had the hood repainted due to the blistering rust issue. Remember, if you are replacing the hood pin plates look for that rust issue caused my metal screws reacting to the aluminum hood. FORD SVT supplies specially manufactured "aluminum" phillips headed screws just for this problem. Even if you currently do not have the blistering rust issue as of yet I would still get these screws from SVT.

To get these screws call SVT at 800-367-3788 - give them the last 6 digits of your VIN # and mailing/ shipping address and they send you a bag of 10 screws (although you only need 8) that are phillips head and the proper size and all aluminum. When they arrive the heads are kind of dull looking so I took a little piece of Never-Dull (sp?) and just shined them up before using them on the hood. Dana

post-30176-0-39890400-1322416290_thumb.jpg

post-30176-0-01061500-1322416350_thumb.jpg

post-30176-0-39890400-1322416290_thumb.jpg

post-30176-0-01061500-1322416350_thumb.jpg

"As for the hood pin plates aren't they the exact same ones "Brushed Anodized Aluminum Finish" that came with our SGT's from Shelby?"

Maybe on later ones. My '07 had the flat washer type plates. They had grooves in them from someone opening the hood without loosening the pins. And they just looked cheap. I guess I am learning that at some point Shelby put the brushed aluminum ones on. It would be interesting to know when that started.

"As for the hood pin plates aren't they the exact same ones "Brushed Anodized Aluminum Finish" that came with our SGT's from Shelby?"

Maybe on later ones. My '07 had the flat washer type plates. They had grooves in them from someone opening the hood without loosening the pins. And they just looked cheap. I guess I am learning that at some point Shelby put the brushed aluminum ones on. It would be interesting to know when that started.

All 2007 SGT's came with the thin metal, 60's-style hood pins...

http://www.shelbysto...s-16892-ssk.htm

The Billet "SHELBY GT" came standard on the Vista Blue 2008's...

http://www.shelbysto...r3z-6316892.htm

However, you will see lots of the plain "SHELBY" ones being installed on 2007's...

Oh, I understand now - I had no idea about the cheesy thinner plates on the '07's. Thank you for the clarification! So hell yes, I too would be pulling those off and replacing with that newer style. Would Shelby be willing to sell folks with the '07 GT the newer version that debuted with the '08 models? The ones that actually say "Shelby GT" instead of just "Shelby" from American Muscle? And when I also replaced mine they came with superior stainless steel / plastic sheathed cables with the little swivel thingies. Much sharper and tighter looking in my opinion. Dana

Oh, I understand now - I had no idea about the cheesy thinner plates on the '07's. Thank you for the clarification! So hell yes, I too would be pulling those off and replacing with that newer style. Would Shelby be willing to sell folks with the '07 GT the newer version that debuted with the '08 models? The ones that actually say "Shelby GT" instead of just "Shelby" from American Muscle? And when I also replaced mine they came with superior stainless steel / plastic sheathed cables with the little swivel thingies. Much sharper and tighter looking in my opinion. Dana

The "SHELBY GT" version is only available to owners of 2008 SGT's... A unique item to the '08s, just like the CSM # in the Sill Plates... And the metal plate version is also standard on all the GT-H's and early SS (not sure about 2010+)

"Do the screw holes line up or do you have to drill new ones?"

That was a question I had. The holes line up, but I had to use the old screws as the thread on them was coarser than the new ones. They come with a plastic underliner to insulate them from the hood. The only mod I had to do was bend the pins ever so slightly forward. The height of the billet plates makes the apparent center more forward than the flat plates. I did this with a rap from a hammer, which actually bent the metal supporting plates just the right amount.

To teach his own I guess!

I don't care for the big plate versions on the 08 and MUCH prefer the 60's version but that's me. I can tell you that if you take care of them, even now 4 years later, mine look just fine.

Concur, Jeff, I love the plain, retro-look of the original '07 scuff plates! I even relish the minor, used look of the pin marks on mine.

Not all 08's came with the billet plates.

The GT-C came with the same plates as the 07's. :headscratch:

My Guess = The "Shelby GT" letters are actually painted BLUE... And there isn't a plate with the GT-C designation... So they were given the same ones as the 2007 SGT...

My Guess = The "Shelby GT" letters are actually painted BLUE... And there isn't a plate with the GT-C designation... So they were given the same ones as the 2007 SGT...

That makes sense.

Always wondered why the only ones I have seen had blue lettering.

Hi guys and glad to help. You are correct - if only everything were that smooth and simple!

Also, I apologize for my comment that the '07 plates are 'cheesy'! I take that back because I know if those were what came with my SGT I'd love them to death. So I stand corrected with my smarmy comment. Great group of folks on here and the last thing a brother wants to do is offend! Dana

Hi guys and glad to help. You are correct - if only everything were that smooth and simple!

Also, I apologize for my comment that the '07 plates are 'cheesy'! I take that back because I know if those were what came with my SGT I'd love them to death. So I stand corrected with my smarmy comment. Great group of folks on here and the last thing a brother wants to do is offend! Dana

No worries... But honestly, they are cheesy... Went thru two sets back in 2007, one original and one replacement, before I switched to the billet ones back in mid-2008... Just have to re-paint them every once in a while, as the thin paint does wear off rather easily...

No worries…I didn't take it that way!

Archived