TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tune only, no pullies or etc....?

Bill Hamilton

Has anybody done a "Tune Only" without the pulley swap of other major equipment swap outs?

Don't laugh but I was considering one for a little more efficiency and economy too. The car does an amazing job now considering the horsepower available. It's my daily driver and since I spend much of my time commuting at the legal speed limits (well kinda close anyways), I thought I'd ask. I figure some of the cruise parameters could be leaned out and with the increased efficiency, maybe a few more horses too.

Please don't recommend I get a V-6 as I'm addicted to the performance I have now (LOL). :peelout:

I've heard of others (VMP) squeezing maybe 15-20 RWHP out of the factory setup, but you get much, much more with the pulley (60+ RWHP). But sure, you can change fuel trims and spark curves to deliver whatever you want (better economy included). Call Justin at VMP. I've dealt with him and he provides great service.

I was running a 93 octane tune from AM. Noticed an improvement in the butt-o-meter. But I'm unable to comment on any mileage gains as I like getting into the boost a little to often. Lol

I've heard of others (VMP) squeezing maybe 15-20 RWHP out of the factory setup, but you get much, much more with the pulley (60+ RWHP). But sure, you can change fuel trims and spark curves to deliver whatever you want (better economy included). Call Justin at VMP. I've dealt with him and he provides great service.

Oh, believe me I know there's another 100 plus hp with pulleys, different supercharger, exhaust, and etc. But I'm going to try and keep my sanity another year or two or at least until my warranty expires. I figure there's probably a another 5% plus power to be gained and maybe a little drivability with just a tune. Although the factories do a great job, I'm sure their tuning envelope has a few corners you can reach into for a little more. Also isn't the factory tune for 91 octane fuel? I live in an area where 93 is the norm.

Thanks for the responses.

have a 2011 svtpp was wondering the same thing for a while now,never heard anyone talking about just tune no pulley . so researched lund and vmp seemed to be toss up ,called justin @ vmp asked some questions and decided to pull trigger, tune only 93 and 91 for when i travel and 93 octane not available.had him remove speed limiter, bumped redline to 6500, cooling fan comes on a little earlier but by no means runs all the time, also justin said the tune was set up for when and if i get pulley no additional tune download will be needed , had it for about 2weeks, first off throttle response improved, low end same, mid little improvement, from about 4600 rpm up at wot nice improvement over stock better be paying attention 2nd and 3rd screams ,have not had 4th or 5th at redline yet, but iam sure same response as 2nd-3rd ,seems like supercharger winds up faster not louder just whine comes on quicker.had it on highway once 30 mile drive 23.8mph, 65-75mph so milelage about same but no way worse.hope that helps cannot think of anything else right now. oh justin also said between 20 and 40 rwhp

I got the 2.59" pulley, pulley removal tool and tune from Justin at VMP for my 2012. I am also concerned about my warranty but his pulley is manufactured to look the same as stock so I highly doubt if the dealer will even notice it. Before a trip to the dealer I will return the car to the stock tune as the smaller pulley works just fine with the stock tune.

Colin

What was the approximate cost and is it worthwhile?

Thanks

Cost was 468.00 to my door which included tunes and handheld tuner, as for worthwhile better than stock so i say yes , driveability improved and easily put back to stock if trip to dealer needed.

Archived