TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel Rails & Dash Gauges - 4.6L Install Guidance

Just ordered the Shelby Fuel Rails and the Shelby Dash Gauges(non-supercharged) through the Shelby Parts Thanksgiving Sale. Can these parts be installed by a DIY'er, or best left to "trained professionals"? Anyone install these yourself - and have guidance tips?

Thanks,

If you have the ability to follow directions and turn a wrench, fuel rails and gauges are easy to install. I'm not a professional mechanic, (but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express), and I managed to install my own supercharger with minimal problems/effort. I installed the Shelby gauge pod as well - finding the correct wires to tap into was the hardest part because you had to be really flexible to get up under the dash!

Did you get the pre-installed/wired gauges version of the gauge pod?

Sam

Thanks Sam, I did buy the preinstalled/wired gauge pod. Glad to hear that this is do-able for a shadetree mechanic. The SGT is a weekend driver and has dedicated garage space, so I can take my time with it. Thanks for the validation and encouragement - I'll post my experiences, as I get the installs completed. I am also putting on the Shelby Cam Covers, at the same time.

Thanks again,

Gary

Gary-

I also installed my dash gauges myself. Like Sam said you have to be a bit of a contorionist to get under the dash for the wiring. It was not a quick install for me because I wanted it neat and clean.There are a few guys here that have done this and can guide you through it. I upgraded my bulbs in the gauges for LED's and ditched the incandesent bulbs with the colored condoms. My kit from Shelby came with an extra length of wires that I found made it a cleaner install. When the wires entered the engine compartment from the firewall I covered them in wire loom to give it a more factory look.My kit did not come with instructions so if you need I set I can send them to you. Have fun with the install. -Kevin

Sam and Kevin, thanks for the feedback and thanks to Need4speedUc07 for the instructions.

Any special consideration for the double stick tape? I'm guessing a good cleaner on the dash to get any dressing off. Did the pod line up well? Any issues with movement after it's been on for a while or in the sun?

Thanks again for all the input,

Gary

Sam and Kevin, thanks for the feedback and thanks to Need4speedUc07 for the instructions.

Any special consideration for the double stick tape? I'm guessing a good cleaner on the dash to get any dressing off. Did the pod line up well? Any issues with movement after it's been on for a while or in the sun?

Thanks again for all the input,

Gary

Gary,

Some pods didn't fit as well as expected, (I think there was a bad batch), but mine fits great. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to use double-sided tape unless you're having a problem getting the pod to stay in place. Remember, if a bulb burns out or a gauge goes bad, you're gonna need to get that sucker off! (Mine came with velcro tape)

I ran the all the wires and hooked everything up BEFORE I attached the pod - that way I was certain everything was working!

Yes, clean the dash and pod to remove any preservative or grime. It's a good idea to check the fit before tacking the pod into place - theres a "lip" on the underside of the front of the pod that catches on the rim of the dash, place the pod in the center of the dash and push it towards the windshield and it should stop once it hits that lip - check fit and note where the edges are so you can place your tape/velcro.

Once you've got it tacked down, wedge a rolled towel or partial roll of paper towels between the gauge pod and the windshield and leave it for 24 hours. This will firmly press the pod in place and give the sticky stuff time to set.

gallery_13043_1123_5321.jpg

Hope this helps!

Sam

Edited by 2007_Shelby_GT