TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New guy w/ '12 GT500

jeredh

Just bought a new black 2012 GT500, stripe deleted, glass roof and SVT package. My last Mustang was a new 1989 GT 5.0 i got for my 16th birthday. So excited to be back in the saddle!

I am picking the car up in St Louis on Monday and driving it 300 miles to home. Any tips, suggestions? If there are any must-read links pertaining to my car i would appreciate a link. Thanks all - I am stoked

Just bought a new black 2012 GT500, stripe deleted, glass roof and SVT package. My last Mustang was a new 1989 GT 5.0 i got for my 16th birthday. So excited to be back in the saddle!

I am picking the car up in St Louis on Monday and driving it 300 miles to home. Any tips, suggestions? If there are any must-read links pertaining to my car i would appreciate a link. Thanks all - I am stoked

Congrats!!! Enjoy the great car!! :shift:

I just took it fairly easy on mine when new for the first few hundred miles, no burnouts and easy relatively on the gears untl broke in a bit.

You can register the new car in the registry at the link below.

David

Be careful until you get the feel of the car, it can come out from underneath you very easily.

Unless changed, I believe the restriction on the blower is 50 starts or 5 miles, but I would not really stand on it for a couple hundred miles and I would change the factory oil at 500 miles. Motorcraft is fine for a while, but I'd change filters...I think Ford Racing has a decent one. I've used K&Ns HP2010 filter since new, actually been using the K&N oil filter since my '88 McLaren Mustang. Never a problem. You might check that the HP2010 is a good part number for your year model.

Welcome to Team Shelby and be sure to post some pics of that bad boy....just get a free account on Photobucket.com, post them there and then select the IMG code link and paste into here. That's where the picture below is.

CAF-Photo-Shoot-249.jpg

I can't sleep...can't get the excitement of this car out of my head. I will post up a pic or two, thanks for the welcome!

Yes i've read about the SC coming on - I cant wait to experience it . I am curious about this cars power - never experienced anything like it really. I race motorcycles on the track (Barber, Road Atlanta, etc), but this car... It might be the start of something new for me =]

2 Q's:

- since the first 300 miles this car will experience will be on the Interstate, what do u all recommend? I am not keen on constant RPM to break in a motor, but i am accustomed to race bikes. Thoughts?

-is the oil in this car Synthetic from the factory?

Jered

I can't sleep...can't get the excitement of this car out of my head. I will post up a pic or two, thanks for the welcome!

Yes i've read about the SC coming on - I cant wait to experience it . I am curious about this cars power - never experienced anything like it really. I race motorcycles on the track (Barber, Road Atlanta, etc), but this car... It might be the start of something new for me =]

2 Q's:

- since the first 300 miles this car will experience will be on the Interstate, what do u all recommend? I am not keen on constant RPM to break in a motor, but i am accustomed to race bikes. Thoughts?

Jered

You can still vary your speed a bit on the interstate. You will be OK just don't stick it on Cruise for 3 hours. Yes the oil is full synthetic from the factory.

Jared,

Welcome to Team Shelby and congrats on your new 2012 Shelby GT500 w/SVTPP. I have a 2011 and can tell you... you won't be disappointed.

To answer your 2 questions,

Yes - the hand built SC'd 5.4L modular engine is primed with a Motorcraft full synthetic oil shown here: http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcraft-filters-/fluids/motorcraft-5w-50-full-synthetic-motor-oil-xo-5w50-qgt-quart-xo-5w50-qgt-detail.htm No harm changing your oil and filter at 500 miles, but you're OK going twice that distance as well.

As respects your 300 mile drive home and first miles on your Shelby, I would vary your speed and use the 4th, 5th and 6th gears to mix-up the rpm load. I would not use the cruise control under any circumstances until you have at least 1k miles or more on the odometer.

2 Q's:

Jered

I would vary my speed and RPM for the first 100 miles, after that break it in fast and it will be fast

Good to see you made it.

I live 11 miles east of St. Louis, which dealer did you get it from? Supercharger " It will not kick in for some number of miles or starts", the dealer can reset this. I traded for mine in Georgia and the dealer had everything reset for the drive home.

Enjoy the ride home, it will be fun. No matter, what people say, I varied the RPM's and MPH on the trip home. Nothing steady for the trip and took it easy for the first 1,000 miles then put it on the dyno.

McMahon was the dealership who i picked it up from. They said they had car inside the showroom since July. I can't believe some gun like me did not walk into the place and scoop it up months ago

The GT500's are not a hot item in the St.Louis Area. Plus, the GT500 that I traded for in October in Georgia, had been sitting there since June. After I traded for mine they still had 6 GT500's, 3 Bosses, and a apron (whole south side of building) full of Saleen's, still there. They claim to be the Largest Ford in the USA. Maybe a lot of folks were waiting for the 2013, but more likely the economy has everyone bumbed out. Three years of Nothing but bad news from the guy, who was going to fix everything. I really wanted the 302 Laguna Seca Limited Addition (Silver Only) and no back seat. I had emailed/talked with several dealers, but I had two cars to trade. Not many dealers liked the idea of two car trade. Anyway, I was satisfied with the Shelby as it is the same basic color of my 2003 10th Anniversary SVT Cobra Mustang, that some drunk t-boned and totaled for me. I have always been much happier with the Ford Dealer's treatment than GM's/Chevy treatment. I have yet to have a problem with the Ford Dealer (Robert's Ford in Alton, Illinois), it is over 30 miles away, but worth the trip. My closest local Dealer is Jack Schmitt Ford is the WORST. I finally had to arbitrate my 1997 Ford 4X4 F250 Truck (diesel), after they installed over $5,000 in parts (Engine vibration) then said there was nothing wrong with it.

The truth is that the Shelby GT500 is a high priced car with a special niche and does not sell like a Accord. "Even when Dodge and Chevrolet began showing concept versions of the next Challenger and Camaro in response to the praises showered upon Ford's reinvigorated Mustang, it didn't seem likely that sales of these if-or-when muscle cars would skyrocket." A lot of people, you know the GREEN Group, would have believe that owing a High Performance car is a SIN. I am sure that all of us, have been met with disdain for our taste for performance. I plan to enjoy my fantasy and live for the moment and don't care, if the next GT500 has a 1,000 HP. I bought what I could afford and it will out "Gun" 99% of what is out there for Public purchase. Enjoy your new ride, as I enjoy mine to the limit and you can't be that far away at 300 miles from St.Louis.

• 2 weeks later...

Great information! I pick mine up this Saturday. Race Red with white stripes. My

last Mustang was an '84 GT. Prior to that was a '69 coupe. Saturday can't get here quick

enough. Prior 'summer' car was a C6 Corvette.

Will post pics! Lots of Zaino let over from the Vette days.

Always wanted a Shelby and getting one in "Arrest Me" Red is a bonus!

• 1 year later...

Archived