TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Weldcraft

woody81

hmmmm. I guess I gotta call them tomorrow as I recently sent mine out and they received them 11/10/11. I talked to James over there prior to shipping them out and he never mentioned there being any problems and I haven't heard from them since. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the wheels being discontinued so now if they happen to screw up they can't get a replacement for you

hmmmm. I guess I gotta call them tomorrow as I recently sent mine out and they received them 11/10/11. I talked to James over there prior to shipping them out and he never mentioned there being any problems and I haven't heard from them since. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the wheels being discontinued so now if they happen to screw up they can't get a replacement for you

I can probably be the blame for that, sorry guys. I purchased a second set of black alcoas for my 2009 SS and sent them to James. He had called me later and explained that when he widened my wheels from 9 -11.75 that something happened and he wasn't happy with the way they turned out. He states that he would stand behind the repairs but I needed to find 2 more black alcoas to have widened (no luck anywhere). He had me order 2 more durabright wheels, is going to widen them and them have them powdercoated. So far he has been extremely professional about the situation and is making everything good. I imagine his concern is the fact the wheels are becoming obsolete and are becoming more and more expensive.

I can probably be the blame for that, sorry guys. I purchased a second set of black alcoas for my 2009 SS and sent them to James. He had called me later and explained that when he widened my wheels from 9 -11.75 that something happened and he wasn't happy with the way they turned out. He states that he would stand behind the repairs but I needed to find 2 more black alcoas to have widened (no luck anywhere). He had me order 2 more durabright wheels, is going to widen them and them have them powdercoated. So far he has been extremely professional about the situation and is making everything good. I imagine his concern is the fact the wheels are becoming obsolete and are becoming more and more expensive.

So it was YOU!!.......................... ; ( (just kidding)

I have a pair of 9's that I want to get widened to 10's so I can take my original 10's off of the front and store them. Weldcraft did a nice job for me previously on the rears.

It looks like I will have to send them across the country to Eric.............

I wonder if your wheels, being powder coated, got damaged on the face when they were jigged in the machine, first to cut, and then to widen?

R

Hmmmm....... I just received my alcoas back from them about 5 days ago. They were widened from 10" to 11". They welds looks really good!.

You should ask James if he could explain exactly what happened and send you pics of what happened. Very interesting. Glad i got mine out when i did!

Hmmmm....... I just received my alcoas back from them about 5 days ago. They were widened from 10" to 11". They welds looks really good!.

You should ask James if he could explain exactly what happened and send you pics of what happened. Very interesting. Glad i got mine out when i did!

When he called me he told me that he was using a new supplier for the 2 3/4 band (from 9- 11 3/4) to widen ththe wheels. When he welded them he wasn't happy with the trueness of the wheel or the runout of the wheel. He was going to investigate what was happening, but I havent heard anything back. Before I decided to go with the black alcoas I asked him if there was going to be a concern with damaging the powdercoat, he reassured me there would'nt be.

When he called me he told me that he was using a new supplier for the 2 3/4 band (from 9- 11 3/4) to widen ththe wheels. When he welded them he wasn't happy with the trueness of the wheel or the runout of the wheel. He was going to investigate what was happening, but I havent heard anything back. Before I decided to go with the black alcoas I asked him if there was going to be a concern with damaging the powdercoat, he reassured me there would'nt be.

It would be interesting to hear how and why this has happened. Maybe it is the fact that these wheels are going to be expensive, especially the originals and they don't want to take the $$$ gamble while the wheels are in their hands.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Weldcraft just called and said they are not going to do my wheels now even though James said he would personally make sure mine got done since it wasn't till a week after they decided to stop doing them. The guy that called me said that when they cut the Alcoas they are distorting and they aren't sure why. James picked up a full set of wheels from Cruizin Concepts just to test and they still haven't figured it out. oh well :(

Dont tell me that, he has a second set of my wheels becuase the first set got messed up. He already reimbursed me for my first set. I told him the shelby board was up in arms because he wouldn't do the wheels anymore but would let me know as soon as he worked on my second set.

After receiving the phone call today I emailed James about it since he had previously said my rims along with another set would be done by him personally and this was his reply.

"Yes ... very sorry for this ... but I have lost literally thousands of dollars on those wheels in the past month.

I've tried several different ways of cutting them and I think what may have happened is the alloy has changed ... getting distortion during the process.

I had to replace a set for a customer and Cruzin Concepts refused to sell me just the two rear wheels ... they forced me to buy a complete set of Shelby Super Snake wheels.

Now I have two front wheels for over a thousand dollars that I don’t know what to do with.

Meanwhile all of my normal modifications are pilling up [ this is the busy time ] and I need to make some money again to help pay for the lost time.

Again ... I’m very sorry but until I think of a way to get it right I can’t continue down this road.

I really hope you understand.

James Reading

WeldcraftWheels"

Other than Eric Vaughn I don't know of any other places that have done these wheels. I'm going to try contacting Eric tomorrow

No, sorry but didn't wake up early enough to try it. Currently working night shifts and planned to wake up early so I could try calling but that just didn't happen :boring:

Okay let me know if you do. I have tried the past week and before Thanksgiving and no answer but a busy signal.

I sent Eric my wheels about a week or so ago straight from Shelby. He said he was getting busy and after thanksgiving would be swamped. Expect a 2-3 week turn around at that time.

He said would try to start on mine end of last week. I haven't heard from him yet so going to call him end of this week if I haven't heard from him yet.

He did not mention anything about issues with wheels. Who's to say I might be the first unlucky one from him tho. His way of welding in a new hoop maybe better on the rim since only one weld ring instead of 2 like weldcraft? Maybe the less heat helps?

Anyways I was quoted 300 per rim. Incases you guys were wondering.

• 3 weeks later...

got my widened wheesl back from James at Weldcraft (what a fantastic job) they look perfect in every way I am extremely happy that he took th time with me and corrected the issues that hehad in trying to widen the first set. I spoke to him about notifying everyone and let them know how the wheels turned out. 2 words PERFECT, PERFECT. He is not ready to start back up widening the Alcoas yet, but give him some time!!!!

got my widened wheesl back from James at Weldcraft (what a fantastic job) they look perfect in every way I am extremely happy that he took th time with me and corrected the issues that hehad in trying to widen the first set. I spoke to him about notifying everyone and let them know how the wheels turned out. 2 words PERFECT, PERFECT. He is not ready to start back up widening the Alcoas yet, but give him some time!!!!

Great !!

I know Weldcraft did excellent work on my Alcoa's and I have had no issues.

I wonder what the resolve will be to the current issues they have encountered during the widening process?

R

I spoke to James at Weldcraft on Tuesday and he said they won't widen my rims. So I'm gonna send them to Eric Vaughn next week.

I just got my widened wheels back from Eric and installed this week. He work is top notch. The single weld bead is so nice compared to having two.

I got so many compliments from workers at dealership that did install for me. The 335 outback just barely fits and I hear some rubbing up front and out back when turning in driveway and body twist do to incline. It's a trade off I'm willing to make for such a amazing wheel and tire combo.

Just a heads up you are looking at 300 to widen and 30 per wheel shipping. 660 total.

I just got my widened wheels back from Eric and installed this week. He work is top notch. The single weld bead is so nice compared to having two.

I got so many compliments from workers at dealership that did install for me. The 335 outback just barely fits and I hear some rubbing up front and out back when turning in driveway and body twist do to incline. It's a trade off I'm willing to make for such a amazing wheel and tire combo.

Just a heads up you are looking at 300 to widen and 30 per wheel shipping. 660 total.

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I live in a house that has an incline driveway. I have found a way to enter with minimal to no rub. That twisting of the body and wide rear tires is a trade off.

R

\

What tires did you go with up front, and which tires do you have on the rear?

• 3 weeks later...

James blew us off stating he was just a repair facility and couldn't handle the volume we were giving him at the time! He said to give him 4-6 weeks to be prepaired to take our orders. Needless to say he didnt return our calls...

Its in my personal opinion that this is truely why he is no longer doing the Shelby widening as he cannot handle the volume not because of concerned quality. Yes, Eric Vaughn is the guy and the single ring weld is exceptional over the double bead from James especially for appearance!

Eric may be difficult to get a hold of and take awhile to complete but the quality is well worth it.

Archived