TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New brakes for the Supersnake

So going forward I found out that Shelby American will no longer be using the Baer 6 piston caliper systems on the Supersnakes. They will incorporate the WIlwood W6A setup. These are not of the monoblock design and are less expensive than the Baer and the rear brakes will be 4 calipers instead of 6. As a result the rear brake upgrade will be about a thousand dollars cheaper but will still look the same as the front 6 piston caliper . I suppose my question is, has anyone had any experience with Wilwood in the past and how have they performed if so? To me they look like a step down from the Baer setup but I could just be paranoid, also they will only be offered in black with silver "Shelby" lettering or red with the silver lettering. Thanks for any input.

post-29885-0-78388800-1321542395_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-75124200-1321542407_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-78388800-1321542395_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-75124200-1321542407_thumb.jpg

From what I know of Wilwood it's not a step down from Baer. Wilwood has plenty of competition experience just as Baer. Frankly, a 6 piston rear brake is overkill, a 4 pot brake is plenty capable (actually, the stock rears with better pads are plenty capable. look at the FR500 & BOSS 302R) and should reduce un-sprung weight which is always a good thing.

Wilwood has been involved in racing brakes since the 70's and are extremely well known in the industry. I've used lots of their stuff in my past road racing experience and circle track. Always a great product from my experience. Also, rear braking is extremely adequate on these cars stock. As El Shelby mentions, the FR500 race cars use the STOCK single piston calipers, with better pads. These are cars that are racing for hours at a time with extreme braking turning the rotors red. So really, the Baer 6 piston, or Wilwood 4 piston are really overkill, but look really cool. You do not need to worry.

So going forward I found out that Shelby American will no longer be using the Baer 6 piston caliper systems on the Supersnakes. They will incorporate the WIlwood W6A setup. These are not of the monoblock design and are less expensive than the Baer and the rear brakes will be 4 calipers instead of 6. As a result the rear brake upgrade will be about a thousand dollars cheaper but will still look the same as the front 6 piston caliper . I suppose my question is, has anyone had any experience with Wilwood in the past and how have they performed if so? To me they look like a step down from the Baer setup but I could just be paranoid, also they will only be offered in black with silver "Shelby" lettering or red with the silver lettering. Thanks for any input.

When you say the rear 4 piston "will still look the same as the front 6 piston caliper.............do you mean in color and lettering? or that the Wilwood 4 piston rear caliper is physically the same size as the Wilwood 6 piston front caliper? The rears look smaller than the front in the two pictures, but that could be because the Alcoa is in front of the rear.

Doesn't the CJ and/or SCJ use a Wilwood brake set-up? at least on the front?

I agree that 6 piston rears are overkill, but they sure look Cool!

R

+1000

It is nice to have options and the Shelby-Wilwood shoes look good.

the 4 piston shoes are smaller in size. the FORD GT has 4 piston brembos on all 4 corners, and the work excellent, however, she is a good 800 lbs lighter too.

+1000

It is nice to have options and the Shelby-Wilwood shoes look good.

the 4 piston shoes are smaller in size. the FORD GT has 4 piston brembos on all 4 corners, and the work excellent, however, she is a good 800 lbs lighter too.

Yes, the GT500, even when compared to a Mustang GT is a very heavy Mustang.

R

When you say the rear 4 piston "will still look the same as the front 6 piston caliper.............do you mean in color and lettering? or that the Wildwood 4 piston rear caliper is physically the same size as the Wildwood 6 piston front caliper? The rears look smaller than the front in the two pictures, but that could be because the Alcoa is in front of the rear.

Doesn't the CJ and/or SCJ use a Wildwood brake set-up? at least on the front?

R

Robert, sorry for lack of clarification there. I mean that physically the rear caliper body will look exactly the same and from what I can tell share the same casting, but the rears will only have 4 with two of the panels not being knocked out to accept the other two. The only way you will notice a difference would be by taking them off of the rotor. My only concern was that they wouldn't perform as well as the Baer but after reading all of the posts here it doesn't concern me as much and appreciate all of the responses. I loved the look of the Baer extreme brakes along with the rotors they came with though these probably won't take much getting used to.

Robert, sorry for lack of clarification there. I mean that physically the rear caliper body will look exactly the same and from what I can tell share the same casting, but the rears will only have 4 with two of the panels not being knocked out to accept the other two. The only way you will notice a difference would be by taking them off of the rotor. My only concern was that they wouldn't perform as well as the Baer but after reading all of the posts here it doesn't concern me as much and appreciate all of the responses. I loved the look of the Baer extreme brakes along with the rotors they came with though these probably won't take much getting used to.

Ok, thanks.

R

• 6 months later...

Will SPP sell these Wilwood brakes in the Shelby store?

Will SPP sell these Wilwood brakes in the Shelby store?

I wish I had the $$$ to pick up a set (front and rear) of the Shelby/Baer 6 piston Polished calipers, if they can still be ordered. That would be about $8K.

R

I went to the Wilwood site to look up the specs on the W6A. One thing I noticed was the rotor hat. The picture on the website shows a hat with a specific application, 5 lug/stud holes. The one in your picture has 10 stud holes, more like a "uni-fit" hat. Does the bolt pattern of the other 5 holes match the pattern that is being used? or is this a multi-application hat?

The Wilwood site...............

http://www.wilwood.c...t%20Brake%20Kit

The Baer (rear) comparision........

021-4.jpg

R

Robert I honestly don't know since I have never taken my rotors off of the axle. I am guessing it is for multiple applications but would have to verify with someone who has either taken theirs apart or ask someone at Shelby. I've only had to take my wheels off once since getting the car back, but I have to say I like them a lot more than I thought with the black setup and red lettering along with the black anthracite wheels....

Since I don't have access to a lot of tooling such as jacks and whatnot I can't simply go out and perform this function, hopefully someone else can enlighten us?

Robert I honestly don't know since I have never taken my rotors off of the axle. I am guessing it is for multiple applications but would have to verify with someone who has either taken theirs apart or ask someone at Shelby. I've only had to take my wheels off once since getting the car back, but I have to say I like them a lot more than I thought with the black setup and red lettering along with the black anthracite wheels....

Since I don't have access to a lot of tooling such as jacks and whatnot I can't simply go out and perform this function, hopefully someone else can enlighten us?

I saw a side view of a GT500 on a forum the other day. It was a dark paint car (Dark Silver colored) with dark wheels. It had the red calipers front and rear..........WOW did it "Pop" from the side view. I would almost think that the dark calipers would get lost, even with the Red lettering, maybe not?

I found it. It is a Super Snake. Post #4 in the link below..............

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15763

R

That's the same color scheme as mine with the exception of the red calipers. To me they just stand out too much and take away from the rest of the car, I wanted something more subtle and don't regret the choices I made. I'll have to post some pictures to let you see where i'm coming from, but to each his own.

That's the same color scheme as mine with the exception of the red calipers. To me they just stand out too much and take away from the rest of the car, I wanted something more subtle and don't regret the choices I made. I'll have to post some pictures to let you see where i'm coming from, but to each his own.

You are right, the Reds do stand out.

I would like to see pictures of your set up.

R

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a side view of a GT500 on a forum the other day. It was a dark paint car (Dark Silver colored) with dark wheels. It had the red calipers front and rear..........WOW did it "Pop" from the side view. I would almost think that the dark calipers would get lost, even with the Red lettering, maybe not?

I found it. It is a Super Snake. Post #4 in the link below..............

http://www.fordgt500...ead.php?t=15763

That's the 2011 Concept car Shelby made at the Monterey Airport for the Pebble Concour<sp?>.

I think it's # 002C but might be # 001C (One was blue/white, the other is gray/black).

Phill

Here is my setup. I suppose it's not for everyone, but again the red calipers with this exterior color combo is a bit too flashy for me.DSC00845.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

Here is a view with the new rear diffuser that I ordered and striped.

DSC00847.jpg

And a side shot

DSC00840.jpg

Archived