TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Did you ever think FORD would do it?

SGT0225

We are going through a golden age of renaissance. I lived through the first enlighting period of 1965-72 with 1969-70 being the true golden years. I went to the new car dealerships and drooled and left fingerprints on the then new Shelby’s, Mach, GTO’s, Olds 442’s, Buick GS’s, Chevy SS everythings, the MOPAR 440 six-packs and Hemi’s. Gas was cheap, mufflers were loud, and tires were crappy. I owned a few back then like a ’70 428 SCJ Mustang and a 1971 Buick GS with 455 Stage I engine. The mid to latter 70’s were dismal as insurance, safety standards, emissions, and high gas prices changed everything. The mid-80’s were the starting point back to fun automobiles as emissions, horsepower, safety and economy were beginning to balance out. The climb back up has been so gradual it’s lost on most people but I think we may have seen the peak of the new renaissance with the 2013 Shelby GT-500 and 650 hp. The future cars will be great in other ways but nothing like we’re are seeing now with the 500, 540, 550, and 650 horsepower versions of automobiles.

It’s all good, enjoy it while you can. :worship:

I would echo what Bill Hamilton has to say, and add that I was more than pleased to buy my first new car, an '82 Mustang GT with the 5.0 HO and it's staggering 157hp! My latest is an '03 Mach 1, and while not up to the 390hp of the Cobra of that year, I was more than impressed. While talking to my dad the other night about the new GT500, I mentioned that it has over twice the HP of my Mach 1. He's not a car buff, but that put things into perspective...and he was very impressed.

It's mind boggling, really. These new Mustangs have about as much HP as NASCAR Sprint Cup cars. Crazy!

As for 2X the HP, heck, I'm seldom able to use the HP I have now...but I'd still like to have one of those new GT500's.

It's mind boggling, really. These new Mustangs have about as much HP as NASCAR Sprint Cup cars. Crazy!

As for 2X the HP, heck, I'm seldom able to use the HP I have now...but I'd still like to have one of those new GT500's.

Actually the unrestricted NASCAR motors make about 850 HP. But remember that in the days of the 427 and 429 Ford NASCAR motors they were only making about 650HP and had 75 more CID.

I personally didn't think you'd ever be able to buy a street legal FORD Mustang with 650 HP.

Who else is having a hard time realizing the 2013 GT500 has the horsepower of 2 Shelby GT's

The horsepower wars are interesting but are we heading too far. Not to rain on the parade, but with horsepower comes additional driving skill requirements, along with maturity to handle this power. Any car can get you into trouble, but big horsepower can get you into trouble a lot quicker. A recent post of a new Laguna Seca wrapped around a pole comes to mind. I guess I'm saying just how much horsepower is necessary for the average driver ?? Just on opinion, regards, Larry

The horsepower wars are interesting but are we heading too far. Not to rain on the parade, but with horsepower comes additional driving skill requirements, along with maturity to handle this power. Any car can get you into trouble, but big horsepower can get you into trouble a lot quicker. A recent post of a new Laguna Seca wrapped around a pole comes to mind. I guess I'm saying just how much horsepower is necessary for the average driver ?? Just on opinion, regards, Larry

Good point Larry,

Having personally launched a '66 GTO 22' through the air while doing a burnout,

I would recommend anyone with a hi HP car to go to driving school (which I did) and learn how

to handle their car vs. learning the hard way how the car can eventually handle you

when you do something beyond your knowledge or capabilities.

CC

Just think, the new 650 HP Shelby could beat me up the freeway ramp. That is the only time I ever get a chance to jump on my SGT. I really only need enough HP to keep the Camaros and Fiats from passing me on the interstate..

Seeing that LS was a sad sight. :(

The 650hp will get alot of people in a mess very fast, but what about the top speed of 200 MPH. There is no limit on this car like 155mph. This is crazy cause on 90% of race tracks ( not ovals ) the max speed you will reach is 155 mph if your skilled. Ok you do have the texas mile , but what am I missing here. Where the hell will you use this top speed ? Go on the web and look @ all the Ford GT's that are totaled, cause that car could hit 200 mph and alot of other things.

Just think, the new 650 HP Shelby could beat me up the freeway ramp. That is the only time I ever get a chance to jump on my SGT. I really only need enough HP to keep the Camaros and Fiats from passing me on the interstate..

That sounds like my situation! :lol:

I always tell people I can be speeding in 3rd gear.... then i have 2 more gears. :shift:

The 2007 Mustang, including SGT, can become very light in the rear end at 140+ mph. Would not want to drive any Mustang at 200 without a very effective chin spoiler and rear spoiler.

Good point Larry,

Having personally launched a '66 GTO 22' through the air while doing a burnout,

I would recommend anyone with a hi HP car to go to driving school (which I did) and learn how

to handle their car vs. learning the hard way how the car can eventually handle you

when you do something beyond your knowledge or capabilities.

CC

I agree with you 100%. In fact, I've been saying the same thing for several years. Most people who buy standard Mustang GTs don't really have a clue what to do with the power, and anyone buying a 650hp car without training or lots of experience in high-horsepower cars is a catastrophe looking for a place to happen. I think Shelby/Ford should require an intensive two-day driving course......didn't Porsche do that a few years ago?

I know how easy it is to get "slideways" in my lowly 325hp SGT - in fact, I just did it yesterday afternoon trying to pass someone on a frontage road. Luckily, my experience in my own '66 (and '65) GTOs, 40 years ago, taught me how to control a car that's forgotten which end goes in front. But I know lots of late model Mustang owners who have crashed and totalled their cars in the process of discovering the limits of traction.

I agree with you 100%. In fact, I've been saying the same thing for several years. Most people who buy standard Mustang GTs don't really have a clue what to do with the power, and anyone buying a 650hp car without training or lots of experience in high-horsepower cars is a catastrophe looking for a place to happen. I think Shelby/Ford should require an intensive two-day driving course......didn't Porsche do that a few years ago?

I know how easy it is to get "slideways" in my lowly 325hp SGT - in fact, I just did it yesterday afternoon trying to pass someone on a frontage road. Luckily, my experience in my own '66 (and '65) GTOs, 40 years ago, taught me how to control a car that's forgotten which end goes in front. But I know lots of late model Mustang owners who have crashed and totalled their cars in the process of discovering the limits of traction.

:peelout:

I personally didn't think you'd ever be able to buy a street legal FORD Mustang with 650 HP.

Who else is having a hard time realizing the 2013 GT500 has the horsepower of 2 Shelby GT's

WHAT are you going to do with 650hp??? :headscratch: Unless you are going to the track a lot its useless for regular driving. And as someone already stated you better know how to drive that kind of power before we read about you wrapped around a pole! I mean if you live in Nevada, Arizona, or New Mexico where you can have some fun on those open roads most everywhere else you can't use that much power. Don't get me wrong it would be a hell of a ride and reminds me when we took out my 67 Fastback big block and punched it the car just tried to get up and go but having a great handling car is more important to me and right now I'm satisfied with my 08 GT/SC but I'd love to have the 5.0 supercharged version instead of my 4.6 Kenne Bell.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived