TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who makes the current 6spd. shifter for SPP?

Robert M

Are you updating the SS owner's manual? lol

It looks similar to the MGW, but, forum posts assures that it is NOT.

BTW, the Shelby 8 qt oil pan installed yesterday, NO leaks. :)

Slightly different than the defective one, and was shipped in a moroso box.

Are you updating the SS owner's manual? lol

It looks similar to the MGW, but, forum posts assures that it is NOT.

BTW, the Shelby 8 qt oil pan installed yesterday, NO leaks. :)

Slightly different than the defective one, and was shipped in a moroso box.

I had heard MGW also, but it looks nothing like the MGW shown next to OEM in the picture below................

DSC029261.jpg

How did the pan install go? Any pictures?

R

That one is made by Scott Drake.

If you go to Drake's site you will see the exact same shifter except with the Drake logo etched on it rather than the Shelby logo.

FWIW, Shelby is using MGW shifters on their Super Snake conversions now. That is according to Roger Sorel AND a recent 2012 Super Snake I inspected, and the build sheet associated with it.

I was pleasently surprised to find that out.

HTH,

Phill

That one is made by Scott Drake.

If you go to Drake's site you will see the exact same shifter except with the Drake logo etched on it rather than the Shelby logo.

FWIW, Shelby is using MGW shifters on their Super Snake conversions now. That is according to Roger Sorel AND a recent 2012 Super Snake I inspected, and the build sheet associated with it.

I was pleasently surprised to find that out.

HTH,

Phill

That MGW certainly looks like a nice piece. Is there a variation that will accept the billet Shelby handle?

Who made the earlier upgrade 6 spd. shifter for SPP? the blue framed unit.

R

Is there a variation that will accept the billet Shelby handle?

Who made the earlier upgrade 6 spd. shifter for SPP? the blue framed unit.

R

Gen 1 was also by Drake.

I don't think MGW has a option for the SPP handle, they make their rounded own shift handles.

Phill

Gen 1 was also by Drake.

I don't think MGW has a option for the SPP handle, they make their rounded own shift handles.

Phill

Phill - The SS build sheet that you saw...........was the MGW a Shelby Motorsports add? or a shifter that is an authorized SA built Super Snake item?

My main concern was my Super Snake shifter ball. I did some research on the MGW site and found that they do make a handle that is threaded for my shift ball. I may check out the MGW, I have read many great reviews on it.

I don't mind pulling the boot up on the MGW stick (and they have a piece grommet for that), but I gotta keep my shift ball...............

006.jpg

R

Phill - The SS build sheet that you saw...........was the MGW a Shelby Motorsports add? or a shifter that is an authorized SA built Super Snake item?

My main concern was my Super Snake shifter ball. I did some research on the MGW site and found that they do make a handle that is threaded for my shift ball. I may check out the MGW, I have read many great reviews on it.

I don't mind pulling the boot up on the MGW stick (and they have a piece grommet for that), but I gotta keep my shift ball........

R

The build sheet I saw is from a car that was drop shipped from Ford directly to Shelby HQ in Las Vegas. All work was performed under the SA roof, none with SAM (including the 3.4L Whipple SC).

And yes, the MGW shifter is now available with three different thread pitch options so ONE of them should work on your Shelby shifter knob.

I did not look at the shift knob on the SS I cite but I will next time I see it. I *know* it was held up at one point because of a shift ball so I *ASSUME* that it is a genuine SS shift knob.

Phill

Sorry to chime so late...my SS was delivered w/the OEM ball...I've already replaced it w/a black/red patterned ball from MGW--for which I also had the replace the handle (course thread).

BTW...I still need to adjust ithe throw...might get to that today ;)

Pictures..................Pictures......................

Yes my ball is the 12mm x 1.75 course thread also.

R

Sorry to chime so late...my SS was delivered w/the OEM ball...I've already replaced it w/a black/red patterned ball from MGW--for which I also had to replace the handle (course thread).

BTW...I still need to adjust the throw...might get to that today ;)

Blackout,

Did you get my e-mail with the offer to put your car up on my ramps and adjust your shifter for you?

I went into PL and told Robert that if Phil needed help/advice to call me and I could guide him through it.

Or, bring it on by my house!

Also, did you buy the handle already? I think I have a extra one!

I know I have 3 different handles and I only need two. I have the one that accepts my OEM 2010 shift ball (on the car now), another to accept the MGW shift ball (and a Shift ball) and a third that was sent to me before I made MGW aware that the 2010 was *not* a 12mm lever. I'm not sure which one you need but if it's the spare one I have, it's yours for the taking.

I also have a extra billet "shorty radio antenna" that Shelby sent me by mistake and don't want back (it costs more for them to get it back then it's worth) and I'd let you have it, courtesy of Shelby American if you want it. I have the tool to R&R it too so if you're interested, give me a ping/ring.

EDIT: Oh, and yes...the MGW ball IS larger than the OEM ball, which is why it's sitting in a box on my shelf!!! (White w/Blue double stripes).

Enjoy the Snake!

Phill

I hope these are legible:

Skydrive link to MGW shift ball

Not sure if you can tell, but the MGW ball is a bit larger than the stock ball.

Nice!

I think I may go the MGW direction since I can use my Super Snake ball and interior upgrade boot. I also like the jam nut that you have. I saw it on the MGW site and a $10 option.

Thanks for the pix.

R

Nice! I think I may go the MGW direction since I can use my Super Snake ball and interior upgrade boot.

I don't see why you wouldn't. If Shelby is using MGW as a *standard* item on all new Super Snakes, that says a LOT about the quality of the MGW shifter.

I mean, Shelyb *could* use their own (i.e. Drake) shifter and probably save money but they decided to use MGW.

THAT......says a lot, IMO.

It's a nice piece. I said this when I first got mine: I have a strong background in Mfg. Process (a fancy name for Machinist) and the MGW shifter is quite *literally*, a work of art. It is well engineered, EXTREAMLY well made (CNC milled from a billet), top notch threads are cut on the shift lever and by all appearences they were turned on a lathe and not cut with a die, etc. Just top notch work.

And then to top it off, they hard anodize them to protect the aluminum from oxidizing.

The shift lever mechanisim is sharp, crisp, tight and sure. The ability to adjust the shift throw is a huge bonus because "you can't please everyone" so they made it so everyone can change the throw to please themselves.

Like a said, "a work of art". Visually and functionally.

JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Blackout,

Did you get my e-mail with the offer to put your car up on my ramps and adjust your shifter for you?

I went into PL and told Robert that if Phil needed help/advice to call me and I could guide him through it.

Or, bring it on by my house!

Also, did you buy the handle already? I think I have a extra one!

I know I have 3 different handles and I only need two. I have the one that accepts my OEM 2010 shift ball (on the car now), another to accept the MGW shift ball (and a Shift ball) and a third that was sent to me before I made MGW aware that the 2010 was *not* a 12mm lever. I'm not sure which one you need but if it's the spare one I have, it's yours for the taking.

I also have a extra billet "shorty radio antenna" that Shelby sent me by mistake and don't want back (it costs more for them to get it back then it's worth) and I'd let you have it, courtesy of Shelby American if you want it. I have the tool to R&R it too so if you're interested, give me a ping/ring.

EDIT: Oh, and yes...the MGW ball IS larger than the OEM ball, which is why it's sitting in a box on my shelf!!! (White w/Blue double stripes).

Enjoy the Snake!

Phill

Hey, Phill,

I did get your note...just overtaken by events. I did get the handle and ball from MGW...talk about service...they called me to confirm my order and made sure I would have all the right parts--they even called SAI to confirm what ball they installed (I might have assumed it was aftermarket given all the hubbub about the shifter during production). In any event, I have to confess, I prefer the slight larger ball--the stock knob just felt like it disappeared in my hand.

Shorty antenna...I don't know why Ford puts that thing on there but I don't mind it.

I still need to adjust my shifter...and, I got the washer cap mod to do. I can manage the shifter...but, as funny as it sounds, I'm a little tentative about screwing up the cap. So, I could definitely use your help w/that. I saw your post on it...but I'm all thumbs with that kind of stuff.

Well...back to grading papers. I'm always grading papers...feel like that poor Dunken Donuts guy...walking around like some zombie and muttering, "Time to make the donuts." At least the job is calorie free :).

Cheers, Mike...aka, "Blackout"

Archived