TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front End Hood and Nose Protection

I've been struggling with this one. I have a 2012 snake with the SVTPP stripe package. I want to protect the front end when traveling on highways. My car is not a daily driver and rarely would be on an interstate. I am really hesitant to put a clear bra paint protector film on my car because it would go over the stripes. I am afraid that if it were to be removed, the stripes will get damaged.

I am leaning toward the front end mask such as Colgan. I would have this mask on only for highway trips meaning it would most likely be off the car 85-90 percent of the time. The risk is scratching the paint from wind or snug fit and/or debri between the mask and paint. What would you do?

I have a Colgan for my GT500. I only use the hood piece when I go long distances. The other part is just too much work and covers a separate piece that can easily be repainted. It is actually painted separately at the factory because it is made of a different material.

I had the entire front end of the car clear bra'd as soon as I got it. The person applying preferred to apply to the edge of the stripes but not over them. This allowed him to cover the entire nose as the sheets are not wdie enough to do the entire front otherwise. Also no issues with any potential gaping over the slightly raised stripes as they are not covered. If you go this route the key is to spend the time and find someone who is very good at applying clear protectant.

Really glad I did it. Even my brother did not realize it was on the front of the car when he first checked out the hood.

• 6 months later...

I have the 3M product installed on my car. Been almost 2 years. Still looks great.

The installer installed it over the Tape stripes, but cut the protection along the edge so I did not get the bridge gap that can happen.

I will do it again, on the next car or even pickup in the future. Look for an installer that buys the material in rolls and has the cutter to cut the pieces (similar to a plotter). That way he can make AT&T the pieces he needs and can even customize the product.

Archived