TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So if it took Van 1000+ rear wheel h.p. to run 200+mph, how is the 2013 a 200+ mph GT500 with 650 flywheel hp?

Robert M

I know the frontal area is a little more smoothed on the 2010-up vs. the 2007-2009, but not that much..............

Is this 200+ mph 650 horse GT500 going to have a 2.00:1 axle ratio? weigh 3000lbs.?

200mph from the Ford assy. line, ready to take on the street competition?

****I see 3.31:1 listed as the axle ratio, but still, 200+ mph?, that is great, but how when it took Van 1000+ ( at the wheels)?

R

All done within ONE mile and from a standing start...

Who knows how long of a straight line it will take the new GT500 to reach 200 MPH :shift:

Precisely.

The improved aero of the GT500 will not contribute significantly to its ability to reach 200mph, with the exception of improved stability. The GT500's (and any S197) front end tends to lift and become squirmy above 150, hence the speed limiter at 155 for all the mortal S197’s, but you can see that the new front splitter has built-in canards to help minimize front end lift, though I suspect its' still pretty squirmy. The S197 has all the aerodynamics of a brick.

All done within ONE mile and from a standing start...

Who knows how long of a straight line it will take the new GT500 to reach 200 MPH :shift:

I guess we would have to know (from Van) at what point in that mile that the car reached its top mph limit?

But even before the extensive mods, it seems to me that it only reached into the lower 190's or higher 180's..............

I know that the 3.31's will help the new car. I think that would be a nice set-up in my 725, or even a 3.55.

I woundn't think that there would be much bragging rights to say that a car can do 200mph if given it 2-3 miles to do so.

My brother called me this morning after he read a blurb about this in today's USA Today, and I thought, that sounds cool, but then I thought about it further and said to myself..............we just witnessed a 200+ mph run by Van in a S197, and it took a whole lot more than 650 flywheel hp to achive that, something does not seem to fit?

R

First you have to remember that the 650HP is brake hp (unloaded engine on a dyno), not wheel HP.

Compare apples and oranges. The car can get to 200MPH, but they don't say how much distance it will take. Probably 1.5+ miles. Van's car did it in a standing mile: the metric is 0-? in 5280'. Getting to 200MPH or greater in that distance is quite a feat.

Put twin turbos on it and it could very well make the standing mile at 210+.

I'm told my FGT with 650 RWHP would need roughly 1.3 miles to break 200MPH and that it should comfortably do 220+.

I'm skeptical about the aerodynamics and stability of the GT500 at those speeds though.

First you have to remember that the 650HP is brake hp (unloaded engine on a dyno), not wheel HP.

Compare apples and oranges. The car can get to 200MPH, but they don't say how much distance it will take. Probably 1.5+ miles. Van's car did it in a standing mile: the metric is 0-? in 5280'. Getting to 200MPH or greater in that distance is quite a feat.

Put twin turbos on it and it could very well make the standing mile at 210+.

I'm told my FGT with 650 RWHP would need roughly 1.3 miles to break 200MPH and that it should comfortably do 220+.

I'm skeptical about the aerodynamics and stability of the GT500 at those speeds though.

That is exactly right, Vans 1000+ RWHP = 1150? or so at the flywheel? maybe 1200 flywheel? and 650 flywheel. That is a huge difference when comparing apples to apples.

I agree that the FGT and probably the ZR1 can do the 200+ without braking a sweat since they are not brick fronted vehicles, they split the air. But we are talking about a S197 Ford Mustang.

With the 2013 comparision and the 2007-2009 at 200mph we are saying that it takes 600 additional horsepower to push an earlier bodied Mustang (2007-2009) to 200+ in comparable weigh and form?

Another question for Van.................did his car have much more mph? but it ran out of room at the TX mile? or was it done in top gear and rpm?

I am not saying the 2013 can't do 200+, I just trying to put together the scenario in which it does 200+ since we have a recent 200mph+ baseline for comparision.................earlier body S197, 1 mile standing start, 1200 + or - flywheel horsepower.

R

The wind tunnel results between the 07-09, vs. the 13 are almost not apples to apples. Almost like a totally different car. Downforce is amazingly different, as well as aero. This I know.... however the difference of being able to hit 200 mph in 1 mile vs. 2 are again no comparisson. About like saying my car can do 80 mph in the 1/8th, then why will it not do 160 mph in the 1/4, when it will only do 105? There are so many factors in building speed once you hit 150, it get's crazy. I hope not many people try that 200 mph.......it takes quite a bit of skill, like Tony said, over 150. I'm sure the 2013 will do it, but the conditions need to be right, and I'm pretty darn sure it will not be in a mile!

I know the frontal area is a little more smoothed on the 2010-up vs. the 2007-2009, but not that much..............

Is this 200+ mph 650 horse GT500 going to have a 2.00:1 axle ratio? weigh 3000lbs.?

200mph from the Ford assy. line, ready to take on the street competition?

****I see 3.31:1 listed as the axle ratio, but still, 200+ mph?, that is great, but how when it took Van 1000+ ( at the wheels)?

R

Van's car can go 200 MPH in a mile. The 2013 will need more road to achieve that. Ford didn't say it would go 200 MPH in a mile, just 200 MPH. Two different stories.

Same goes with a 750HP Super Snake

That is exactly right, Vans 1000+ RWHP = 1150? or so at the flywheel? maybe 1200 flywheel? and 650 flywheel. That is a huge difference when comparing apples to apples.

I agree that the FGT and probably the ZR1 can do the 200+ without braking a sweat since they are not brick fronted vehicles, they split the air. But we are talking about a S197 Ford Mustang.

With the 2013 comparision and the 2007-2009 at 200mph we are saying that it takes 600 additional horsepower to push an earlier bodied Mustang (2007-2009) to 200+ in comparable weigh and form?

Another question for Van.................did his car have much more mph? but it ran out of room at the TX mile? or was it done in top gear and rpm?

I am not saying the 2013 can't do 200+, I just trying to put together the scenario in which it does 200+ since we have a recent 200mph+ baseline for comparision.................earlier body S197, 1 mile standing start, 1200 + or - flywheel horsepower.

R

We have 1,025 RWHP on the Texas Mile Super Snake. We also have a 9" Rear End which robs some power out of the car. The car is capable of much greater speeds and was still climbing when I went through the trap. Heck, I was in 5th gear and taching 6400 RPM. I still had 6th gear left and this motor will tach to 7,000 RPM all day long! LOL

As for the Ford GT. My buddy has a Ford GT and our goal has been to hit 200+ MPH in the Texas Mile with it on a stock supercharger. He currently holds the record for a stock supercharged Ford GT in the Texas Mile at 196 MPH. He has the car pullied etc. and it makes 700 rwhp and 700 rwtq. His best at the mile this year was 195 MPH.

His run was immediately after mine with the same head wind.

All of these cars are capable of 200 MPH. It's just over a given distance. Hopefully when people do attempt these types of speeds it is in a controlled environment.

Van

It is crazy to see how many people get standing mile racing confused with production cars top speeds. 200mph in one mile is hard for any car to reach, take a look and the Bugatti Veyron, it was tested at the mile at 204.4mph in the mile, and they takes another mile or so for it to reach its top speed.

I am just happy that the SS hit 200mph in one mile, any faster in one mile is just a plus.

200 should be quite attainable as my nearly stock 2011 hit 189 and still had a little bit left. I was in the redline in 5th with my 3.73's (rev limit was raised), so the generous added hp and tq in the '13 should pull 3.31's quite nicely. I do believe that terminal velocity will be reached via drag as opposed to redline though.

As for the aero improvements, they are very welcome as the car was a bit unstable at that speed. Ironically, at 160 you could easily drive with 3 fingers on the wheel.

O.k., so it is "given unlimited distance" the 2013 can hit 200mph and for Van to reach 200 in 1 mile was a major accomplishment..................I understand, and for Van's S197 to do 200mph in that mile, it took Real h.p.

It is pretty cool that a production Mustang, a Shelby Mustang is in the 200 Mile Per Hour Club.

R

Archived