TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Introduction

Staff

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these replies are interesting.

Last spring, I sold my '07 GT500 for a number of reasons. I had put a bit of money into it, but hadn't started going crazy yet with engine mods. That was next. But I'd been talking to a friend who had been running his '08 on road courses, pouring money into it, and still not getting to where he wanted to be with heat soak issues, weight, etc.

I started thinking I wanted a new Boss 302, wanting to wait for the 2nd year model because I was never a big fan of the '69 stripe package, so the GT500 would have to go to make room for a Boss. I also was concerned with the falling GT500 prices, and figured I better get rid of it soon or I'd be stuck with it for a while. I'm pretty happy with what I got for it, especially after seeing what they were selling for in the months after I sold mine.

Instead of waiting for a Boss, I pulled the trigger on an '07 Saleen Parnelli Jones 302 this past September because that was a true tribute to the 70 car that won the championship. I love the power and the handling - I was actually able to catch a new Boss in the turns on the track, just couldn't keep up on the straights. I will do some further engine mods this winter to add to the 400 crank hp, keeping it naturally aspirated. We still have our NA '07 Shelby GT, which to my wife's pleasure, won't see any more road course time - that's what the SPJ 302 is for.

Now, I can start seriously considering a new GT500, as I really do miss that Supercharger. And I can't wait to soup up that 5.8L. Probably wait for the final year of the S197 run to get the latest and greatest before the BS EPA regs kick in and the supposed Euro styling is thrust upon us. Don't we have enough Euro styled cars on this planet yet? I can only hope Ford sticks with the retro muscle car styling instead. Give Europe a new Capri, give us the American Mustang.

But as many have stated, buy and drive the car you like. I am very happy with my "old" '07 302 that is 5 model years old now - it turns heads, puts a smile on my face and others, and is a blast on the track.

It's tough to resist the urge to get the latest and greatest, but it always seems the new model year brings more improvements and you're back to wanting the latest and greatest.

But like many have stated, unless you seriously track the car you'll never truly be able to push the '13 GT500 to it's limits. It's probably more about bragging rights then anything else.

I had a 08 Super Snake and the 750HP was just too much for the local roads. It was so hard to not wind up that SC and in no time you're in to crazy over the legal speed limit range. I knew it was a matter of time before a major speeding fine was my destiny.

I sold it and bought a Boss 302 LS. The car is a blast to drive and offers far more performance than I will ever require. The lower HP allows me to have some spirited fun without getting into the insane speeds the Super Snake was reaching.

IMO, the '13 and '14 will be the last of the Mohicans. The '15 has been designed to live in the new CAFE world of 36+ fleet MPG. These cars will be lighter, smaller and designed for smaller engine platforms. I'm sure the new mustang will still be a great performer, but it will not be the sledge hammer that the 13 and 14 GT500 is.

I'm a sledge hammer kind of guy. :)

I have had a lot of fast mustangs over the years and my '12 is simply stunning. The level of power and refinement is simply amazing, but it will have to go.

BTW: It looks like orderability will be later than previous years. The allocation program will not be complete until early Feb, with production starting in Q2.

November 16, 2011

To: All Ford Dealers

Subject: 2013 Shelby GT500 Program Announcement

The ultimate Ford Mustang – Shelby GT500 – raises the bar high on performance with the introduction of

the new 2013 model that goes on sale next year delivering 650 horsepower and a top speed of more than

200 mph. The Shelby GT500 is now powered by an aluminum 5.8-liter supercharged V8 producing 650

horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful production V8 engine in the world.

METHODS FOR EARNING ALLOCATION

All Ford full-line dealers will have the opportunity to enroll in theShelby GT500 Dealer Certification

Program for the 2013MY. Every dealer enrolled in the program will be eligible for (1) Shelby GT500. The

remaining allocation will be assigned based on2011CY retail sales (Share of Nation Mustang).

PROGRAM ENROLLMENT

Additional informationon the program enrollment andcertification requirements will be made available in

January. The dealer enrollment process will begin in early February. The 2013 Shelby GT500 is

expected tobeginproduction in the 2nd quarter.

What about the '14 model? As far as I know there will still be another model year of the S197 to go before the all new one. I'm thinking they will make some further changes to that seeing as it will be the last one. As I said in another post I keep going back and forth on this. I already have a '12, and I'd hate to buy a '13 only to find out the '14 is even better still. I think I'm going to hold off another year and just enjoy what I have. The shock of the '13 is starting to wear off and I'm beginning to see sense. The new Boss 302 is looking pretty good too though.

Colin

I am thinking the changes between the 13 and 14 will likley be minor much like the 11 to 12 changes. I just dont see Ford dropping much more development into the S197 for the last year as they already have a monster and they will need to start concentrating on the new 15.

I am thinking the changes between the 13 and 14 will likley be minor much like the 11 to 12 changes. I just dont see Ford dropping much more development into the S197 for the last year as they already have a monster and they will need to start concentrating on the new 15.

Why wouldn't Ford go all out and full circle with an B429?

(LOL) 41 years here. But I've always had Mustangs dating back to my first in 1970. :shift:

i had lots of mustangs i drag race them for 20 years and race pontiacs for 20 years my 1970 was a gto judge with ram air iii that i replaced with a ram air v they made about 70 of them they was too expensive and rare to race 1985 i got a gm f-body with a 305 with 150 hp i sold it as fast as i could and got a mustang i pick up a $ 75.00 maverick for a winter beater it was Faster then a 305 i did get too drive a 1967 shelby gt`500 back in 1970 a friend of mine had one he keep losing has license i got to drive it alot ( HIS DAD GOT IT FOR HIM WHEN HE WAS 15 YEARS OLD ) he total the gt-500 so his dad got him a gt-350 but this will be my first shelby gt-500 and i like all AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS gm ford mopar amc with competition from chevy and dodge it will only improve the breed and the consumer wins and i hope it keeps the price in check LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

That GT500 allocation and Share of the Nation is the same thing they did with the Boss.

It will be open season on ADM's! It will be almost impossible to get one at MSRP. Be prepared to pay 10-20k over MSRP for one.

Anybody that pays over MSRP is crazy! The dealers are making between 4-5K on each GT500 unit at MSRP! You will be able to buy one at close to invoice as soon as the 2014 info is released and then there are the available D & X plans. Dealers will not admit it, to much money to loose, but if you can buy a 2012 at more than 4K less than MSRP or 0.4% less than dealer invoice, you don't need a degree in math to figure out how much they are making, pure greed. But heck, why only make 4K when yo can go for 19K on the sale of one new 2013 Mustang. This accepted practice is why I am discouraged about buying another new Ford, I know other auto makers do it too. :spend:

I can't see big ADMs on the 2013, at least not on a sustained baisi as was the case in '07-'08. This will be a fantastic car but '07 was the first of the new Shelbys, and also the first time a 500hp car was avaialble at this price point. This contributed to the ADM frenzy. If I get this new and improved GT500, , it will be a slightly used one, or at least a heavily discounted one, and probably a 2014.

Having said that, if the next generation car shows a significant drop in engine displacement, hp and performance, I can see the 2014 becoming very desirable and holding its price well, as the last of the "true" muscle cars. I hope I'm wrong but this genrartion of Mustangs may mark the end of another muscle car era. 2015 is supposed to be a "global" car, which means it has to appeal to consumers outside North America. Big V8s and relatively low fuel mileage are not really big selling points in Europe...

I think years from now, people will view the 2013 Shelby GT-500 much like the Boss 429 is view today. It will be the Boss 429 of the 21st century. It will be the peak of the resurgence of the horsepower wars and retro styling. The 2014 ½ (actually 2015) Mustang will be a great car but it will be a world car with European/Asian influence. Yes, the 2013 Mustang/Shelby will be the last of the good ole USA only musclecars.

:shift:

If you want one early, you’re going to have to pay what the dealers (i.e. market) demands. If not, wait a year, and get it for MSRP or less. If you want to play, you normally got to pay.

I think years from now, people will view the 2013 Shelby GT-500 much like the Boss 429 is view today. It will be the Boss 429 of the 21st century. It will be the peak of the resurgence of the horsepower wars and retro styling. The 2014 ½ (actually 2015) Mustang will be a great car but it will be a world car with European/Asian influence. Yes, the 2013 Mustang/Shelby will be the last of the good ole USA only musclecars.

:shift:

If you want one early, you’re going to have to pay what the dealers (i.e. market) demands. If not, wait a year, and get it for MSRP or less. If you want to play, you normally got to pay.

+1

(LOL) 41 years here. But I've always had Mustangs dating back to my first in 1970. :shift:

I never had one at all until this summer. However, the memory of my dad buying his brand new '68 GT really embedded itself deep into my 10 year old brain. Wanted a Mustang my whole life, but never really found the car I had to have until this year.

I can't see big ADMs on the 2013, at least not on a sustained baisi as was the case in '07-'08. This will be a fantastic car but '07 was the first of the new Shelbys, and also the first time a 500hp car was avaialble at this price point. This contributed to the ADM frenzy. If I get this new and improved GT500, , it will be a slightly used one, or at least a heavily discounted one, and probably a 2014.

Having said that, if the next generation car shows a significant drop in engine displacement, hp and performance, I can see the 2014 becoming very desirable and holding its price well, as the last of the "true" muscle cars. I hope I'm wrong but this genrartion of Mustangs may mark the end of another muscle car era. 2015 is supposed to be a "global" car, which means it has to appeal to consumers outside North America. Big V8s and relatively low fuel mileage are not really big selling points in Europe...

I tend to agree with you "if" the focus is on mileage with the future "world" car, but let's not forget, Europe is home to 560 hp V8's and 650 hp V12's...most of which are not supercharged. So, there " could" be a push to build a "world" semi-super car. Let's hope.

I still think they will hold something back for 2014. More than likely Chevy is going to come back with something more for the Camaro after having been sucker punched by Ford. I'm sure with the cafe standards coming into play Ford would like to go out on top. Any way you look at it it's a difficult decision to make. Do you buy one now and hope that 2014 isn't going to bring something better or wait until 2014 and hope you can get one without being crushed in the stampede, and at a "decent" price?

Colin

[i agree on the over MSRP thing. When the Boss 302 came out I called my local dealer (Tasca Ford) and was told $100k for the Laguna Seca, and +$10k for the base model. After I laughed at them and started looking for a Shelby I found all my local dealers wanted sticker for them, or at best $1k off only after I showed them adds from out of state with cheaper prices. I was able to get my '12 at $500 over invoice as there was no kickback associated with the car (dealer purchased it from another dealer so they could have one in the showroom). If I ordered a '12 from them it would have been at invoice. Long story short I drove to Maryland to get mine. The same dealer had a Laguna Seca on the floor that I asked about but was told $10k over sticker. With all the buzz on the 2013 model I can gaurantee that they will be priced over sticker at most places. And as anyone who bought a 2009 SRT8 Challenger, or KR, or unfortunately the '07 GT500 at over sticker to have one could tell you, buy it because you want it NOW. You will not make money on it. I think even the 2000 Cobra R hasn't even come back to what it cost to purchase yet. Myself, I refuse to pay over sticker for anything.

On another note, what is the opinion on the GT500 style fascia on all the 2013 Mustangs. When I bought the car I bought it because it was distintive. Now every Mustang will look similar. You can even get the Recaro seats in the V6 and V8 models from what I read. That's great for the GT and V6 guys but there has to be something different on a $60k car other than the drivetrain just my humble opinion.

[i agree on the over MSRP thing. When the Boss 302 came out I called my local dealer (Tasca Ford) and was told $100k for the Laguna Seca, and +$10k for the base model. After I laughed at them and started looking for a Shelby I found all my local dealers wanted sticker for them, or at best $1k off only after I showed them adds from out of state with cheaper prices. I was able to get my '12 at $500 over invoice as there was no kickback associated with the car (dealer purchased it from another dealer so they could have one in the showroom). If I ordered a '12 from them it would have been at invoice. Long story short I drove to Maryland to get mine. The same dealer had a Laguna Seca on the floor that I asked about but was told $10k over sticker. With all the buzz on the 2013 model I can gaurantee that they will be priced over sticker at most places. And as anyone who bought a 2009 SRT8 Challenger, or KR, or unfortunately the '07 GT500 at over sticker to have one could tell you, buy it because you want it NOW. You will not make money on it. I think even the 2000 Cobra R hasn't even come back to what it cost to purchase yet. Myself, I refuse to pay over sticker for anything.

On another note, what is the opinion on the GT500 style fascia on all the 2013 Mustangs. When I bought the car I bought it because it was distintive. Now every Mustang will look similar. You can even get the Recaro seats in the V6 and V8 models from what I read. That's great for the GT and V6 guys but there has to be something different on a $60k car other than the drivetrain just my humble opinion.

I think the deivetrain will make up for it...

Sorry if people have already seen this. Latest info I have come across on the ZL1. Pretty impressive and a good price.

http://www.camaro5.com/2012-camaro-zl1-price-announced-at-54095

just sent an email to Michael to see what it takes to trade my pristene 2010 never in rain, 5800 miles vert for one of these--im assuming they come in verts

I still think they will hold something back for 2014. More than likely Chevy is going to come back with something more for the Camaro after having been sucker punched by Ford. I'm sure with the cafe standards coming into play Ford would like to go out on top. Any way you look at it it's a difficult decision to make. Do you buy one now and hope that 2014 isn't going to bring something better or wait until 2014 and hope you can get one without being crushed in the stampede, and at a "decent" price?

Colin

My bet the 2014 will replace the last thing that I cant stand with this car, the cheap, lazy, no styling looking heat extractor hood. So I will wait for the 2014 myself.

Found some articles concerning the Shelby debut at the L.A. auto show.

Having been there once before, the following would have been a great idea and for me a go to event with the ZL1 claiming 580HP and 184MPH:

Muscle Car Fight, Ford Takes Bat, Goes Home

After Ford brought out its potentially ZL1-killing 650-horsepower 2013 Shelby GT500, Joel Ewanick, global vice president of GM marketing, decided to drop the gauntlet down at the feet of Ford. "We should take a Camaro, Ford brings a Mustang, we each pick our drivers, and see who has the best time on the Nürburgring," Ewanick said to Scott Burgess of the Detroit News. Jim Farley, who heads Ford's global marketing, wasn't taking the bait despite professed claims to a desire to "take a bat" to Chevrolet. "I wish we could," he said, after hearing about Ewanick's challenge.

Found a link to the 3013 mustang/boss concerning the tail lights. I'm assuming it will work the same for the Shelby? .2013 sequential tail lights

Still can't see the backup lights. Perhaps a pair of the inset white lights??:doh:

CC

Still can't see the backup lights :doh:

Notice the three center lights are white/clear when off.

I bet they have white LED's mixed in with the red and they double as brake and back-up lights.

I'm wondering where the TAIL lights are...The red outlines?

Phill

Notice the three center lights are white/clear when off.

I bet they have white LED's mixed in with the red and they double as brake and back-up lights.

I'm wondering where the TAIL lights are...The red outlines?

Phill

Here is a link for the 2013 Boss 302 LS. The inner LEDS and the ring come on during breaking.

http://jalopnik.com/5860230/2013-ford-mustang-even-the-taillights-are-cool

So which are the actual tail lights? The search continues...

CC

Anybody that pays over MSRP is crazy!

I know other auto makers do it too. :spend:

Agree on the "crazy" comment...well, maybe more it's more like "desperate" though. Some people just GOTTA have the latest greatest newest thing to hit the market and they want it yesterday, at ANY price.

And ALL auto mfgr.'s (actually, dealers) do it.

Mazda dealers did it with the Miata.

VW dealers did it with the new Beetle.

Chevrolet/Corvette dealers did it with the LT-5 ZR1.

Acura dealers did it with the NSX.

Ford dealers did it with the Shelby GT500 and again with the KR.

Ty dealers did it with the Beanie Babies!

The list goes on and on.

If you have it and people want it, you can charge whatever the market will bear. And sometimes that Bear will eat ya up! (resist the "I want it NOW" urge)!

Been there...never done that! I *refuse* to pay over MSRP for ANYTHING and will do my damnedest to get it below MFGR SUGGESTED (key word!) RETAIL PRICE.

Phill

Here is a link for the 2013 Boss 302 LS. The inner LEDS and the ring come on during breaking.

So which are the actual tail lights? The search continues...

Yeah, I knew that much already.

Unless you have the European style (amber) turn signals, your brake and signal lamps will be one and the same.

But your tail lamps are usually a separate bulb.

With LED technology, they could make the LED's two-stage (bright & dim) and incorporate brake and tail into the same diode.

But *white* LED's are needed for BU lights. And pretty bright ones, too. I noticed that the center section of the new rear lights are clear/white when off so I'm kind'a thinkin' that the center section is BU and Tail/Brake.

As soon as one hits the dealer floor I'm gonna be all over it so I'll find out...eventually.

Thanks,

Phill

I'm hoping someone down in the L.A area was able to hit the auto show and will chime in.

CC

Hey, I see you're in San Jose.

I recently moved out here (Co. Springs, CO) from Prunedale, about 23 miles So. of Gilroy. I have lots of friends in SJ.

I sure do miss it out there (cold & snow SUCKS!!!).

Enjoy it,

Phill Pollard

Hey, I see you're in San Jose.

I recently moved out here (Co. Springs, CO) from Prunedale, about 23 miles So. of Gilroy. I have lots of friends in SJ.

I sure do miss it out there (cold & snow SUCKS!!!).

Enjoy it,

Phill Pollard

Ah yes, I've driven down that way many times although never had a reason to stop in Prunedale.

That is the good thing about living in the bay area. The beach is an hours drive west, the

snow is 3 or 4 hours drive northeast and dealt with only when you want to go play in it. And we have

2 racetracks within an hour or so drive. What more could we want?

So is your car in hibernation for the winter already?

But I digress..:backtotopic:

Clarence

Archived