TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Introduction

Staff

I'll keep my "08" Still better looking in my opinion. Sure I had to modify it a bit to get what Ford should have given us in the first place, but that was half the fun. Once again I am reminded that I already have my dream car as the news of the new model, while pretty cool, really doesn't do much for me.

Chip

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the comments on the Camaro Forum are priceless! They are seriously freaked out by the '13 GT500. Here is one example:

"HATE TO SAY IT BUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT THIS car is gonna get handled by that new 2013 GT500. Just saying. and im a big chevy fan but this stang is looking pretty sinister"

Gotta love it. Nice work SVT!

Word has been that Ford's goal was to blow the new Z28 away right from the start. Must be why the "dreamers" talk of 620 hp on the 2013 was surpassed by another 30 hp by Ford brass.

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, though it is in keeping with what John Clor stated last year at a speech at the Sturgis Mustang Rally stating something along the lines of: Ford has some incredibly exciting Mustangs coming out prior to the new 2016 EPA regulations being implemented. The next few years will be a great time for Mustang fans. B)

I'll keep my "08" Still better looking in my opinion. Sure I had to modify it a bit to get what Ford should have given us in the first place, but that was half the fun. Once again I am reminded that I already have my dream car as the news of the new model, while pretty cool, really doesn't do much for me.

Chip

I'm sure we'll hear of plenty of mods that will be required to fix some things that Ford "should" have done "right" the first time. No matter what the factory does, it still isn't going to quite be enough. Look at the 2012 Boss and some of its shortcomings. Just the way it is.

Everyone is thrilled to see that the new GT500 is being so well received across the automotive world. :wub:

When I first learned about the details of the 2013, I pulled a :drool: and than a :drop:

Ford, without a doubt did a fantastic job on the engineering and delivered a product that lives up to and exceeds the expectations of what a Shelby should be and is.

Continued improvement of the breed is so essential to avoid the pitfall of complacency and the 2013 proves that Shelby and the brand are not headed there.

Shelby American will be introducing new products at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show. We hope to see you there.

Wow, this is fantastic news. Blown away with the production HP number - 650!! Hard to beleive that a production Mustang is capable of 200 MPH right out of the box.

Have an 11 SVTPP and I have to admit the new 13 is awfully tempting... Will be interesting to hear what the final pricing will be.

Anyone heard about tire widths?

As an aside the new 302 Boss looks great especially in the new yellow.

Everyone is thrilled to see that the new GT500 is being so well received across the automotive world. :wub:

When I first learned about the details of the 2013, I pulled a :drool: and than a :drop:

Ford, without a doubt did a fantastic job on the engineering and delivered a product that lives up to and exceeds the expectations of what a Shelby should be and is.

Continued improvement of the breed is so essential to avoid the pitfall of complacency and the 2013 proves that Shelby and the brand are not headed there.

Shelby American will be introducing new products at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show. We hope to see you there.

Will we see a 2013 Super Snake?

I love it. Although I really am still partial to the '07-'09 style, who could turn their nose up to this latest version by Ford. Problem for me now is I will never sell my '08 with everything I have put into it. It is a classic to me and I will have it forever. However, I want one of these new '13 Mustangs. But which one? The GT500 is clearly going to be incredible, but I already have one that makes 650 to the crank with the stock blower. Eventually it will sit more than it does now so I think I would opt for the '13 Boss. I like the new stripe design and wheels to go with the paint job. It actually looks liveable now. That to me would be the best track car option while keeping my GT500 for cruising around and having fun. The new GT500 will undoubtedly be impressive for any driving condition, but I fear that the cost is going to be insane while the Boss will be more reasonable. Sure is nice to have choices like these! I mean come on. Almost too good to be true. I will say that the rearend of the '13 GT500 (my only complaint for the '10-'12's) is looking pretty damn good with those four exhaust tips. I have gone back and forth on buying a GT350 or a '12 GT500 SVTPP. Sure am glad I waited. The '13 and '14 GT500 and Boss are going to be the tops of the S197 platform. Leaps and bounds ahead of anything they have produced to date. If I owned a '12 GT500, I would be beside myself right now, depending on the price of '13 of course.

Jim

Looks like a sweet ride! I just bought a 2012 GT500 SVT a couple weeks ago. :headscratch:

Some of the comments on the Camaro Forum are priceless! They are seriously freaked out by the '13 GT500. Here is one example:

"HATE TO SAY IT BUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT THIS car is gonna get handled by that new 2013 GT500. Just saying. and im a big chevy fan but this stang is looking pretty sinister"

Gotta love it. Nice work SVT!

I've never been to a Camaro forum, but after reading your post, I googled camaro forums, and found camaro5.com, .....lmfao, a number of the Bowtie lovers comment, the ZL-1 is dead before is has even arrived... :hysterical:

The are heaping props on the Shelby!

And this (well I was also thinking Boss LS) is why I tried selling my 11' earlier this year without taking a bath on the car. Really great job on the part of Ford and while the bowtie guys are a little unhappy in the end everybody wins because Ford and GM both keep pushing the envelope.

Now we need some pricing and color options and I also was wondering where the reverse lights are.

As a side note I love the color matched lowers on the side and rear of the car.

*edit*

Just finished reading the R&T first drive article and it sounds like the same size tire, would have been nice if they shoved something a little wider back there.

Anybody have any idea how much input CS had on this car, I know in the past he was at meetings about the GT500 and from what I read the engineers seemed genuinely interested in his input.

Chip

+1 The 2013 looks like it rocks! But I've put too much into my '08. It's not just a GT500, it's unique and "mine". For another $4K, I could hit 650+ RWHP and the '08 looks more like the first 'stang I had when I was growing up

Learning a lesson from the clutch in the '07's and '08's, though it reads as killer, if I had the $$ to be in the market for a GT500, I would actually wait for the 2014's. IMHO of course.

Anybody know if there are pics of all the body color/stripe color combinations that will be available?

Pricing and other details will be released later.

Robert,

I am interested in hearing what Shelby American has in store for a 2013 Super Snake.

My initial intention was to trade-in my 2010 and have a '13 Snaked but now that I see what Ford gave us out of the box, I'm not too sure Shelby can do much for the car, other than more power. And at 650HP OEM, you really can't do anything with more power unless you want to remove all of the high-tech goodies and make it a 1/4 mile specific drag race car.

Obviously, the initial price of the car itself will impact my decision but the Super Snake upfit will have just as much impact.

Do you have any idea when Shelby will be releasing informaiton on the 2013 Super Snake, if Shelby still intends to make one?

Very interested,

Phill Pollard

Looks like a Glass Roof option is available too. Nice!

It has been, for at least a year or two.

I can't remember if the Glass Roof option was orginally offered in 2011 or 2012, but I *know* it was offered.

We saw one at the Fab. Ford Weekend (FFW) in Denver last summer.

Phill

My guess is more opposite. Shoppers for new $60K cars arn't cross shopping used one's in the $30's-$40's. If anything, this new beast breeds interest in all of the Mustangs and brings more potential buyers to the fold. I say keep up the good work Ford!

Yeah - if you are first in line to buy the '13 GT500, and need to sell your current late model one to do so, you will probably take a bath as all of the first one on the block types will be doing the same thing. I'd expect that if the '13 performs, that is the magazines don't recommend the Boss over it, and it trounces the ZL1 head to head, then it will only generate additional interest in the GT500 and actually help values of all years hold up over the long run.

At least from a PR/crush Chevy point of view, Ford hit the ball out of the park. The thread on the infamous camaro5 board concerning the '13 GT500 is over 650 posts and 28 pages of hand ringing now.... :shift:

This reminds of 2002 when I read about the 390hp terminator. Called my dealer and then ordered one.

I just called my dealer and told him that I need to trade my Shelby if this car is in my future. He said that Ford is going to be offering current Shelby owners an extra rebate to trade. :worship:

Found some more information on the upgrades built into the 2013.

http://www.stangnet.com/2011/11/14/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500/#more-5481

In this economy I wonder what kind of markups the dealerships will be trying to

tack on the the base price of the car. I'm betting $25-$30K....

CC

I just called my dealer and told him that I need to trade my Shelby if this car is in my future. He said that Ford is going to be offering current Shelby owners an extra rebate to trade. :worship:

HMMMMMmmmmm.

Very interesting! That may have just sealed my fate.

Phill

Put my name on first 2013 vert at two dealers. Can't wait to eat some chevy's!

I see you're from MD. I contacted my local dealer here in Frederick and they won't take any names right now. They're trying to find out more information from Ford. I'm wondering if it might be better to hold off until the 2014 model year since that will be the last of this type before the all new Mustang and may well have some further improvements. I'd hate to purchase a 2013 only to find out that the 2014 is much better still. I'd be willing to wait another year.

Colin

Archived