TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do you think 2013 will bring

metal_driver

I realize that there is only a week to go until we should find out.... but for FUN what upgrades/changes do you think will come with the new 2013 GT500 ?

From the rumours I have read so far hee is what I am thinking:

620 HP, 5,8L (same alu block but bored out) with more cooling. Not so sure that a TVS will be in the mix though (sure hope it is)

Suspension improvements to both the base and track packages

Wider tires (hopefully 305 rears)

Launch control similar to the Boss 302

Bigger rear brakes with possibly cross drilled rotors

Slighly revised front and rear

Track Apps display

Let the fun begin... What do you think ?

Hey how well does the launch control on the boss work? Cuz the shelby really needs that ,not the 305"s so much. And as for the supercharger I would take a whipple over the TVS or at least hope for something other than the EATON. Hey another one is how long will it take for the tuners to extract some more H.P. ? And for some aftermarket parts- exhaust and engine ect... Would be nice to have 620hp and with minor mods (tuner, pulley, exhaust) be at 700.

Hard to believe that a 5.8L and TVS set up will be less than 620HP, 650 would be a jump shot. The TVS along with the displacement bump will greatly increase the area under the curve which is far more important than peak #s. The increased thermal effciency of this unit is another bonus. The 2013 should be a huge step up the performance ladder that we have been climbing now for decades. You really have to wonder if the top is soon to be reached.

I realize that there is only a week to go until we should find out.... but for FUN what upgrades/changes do you think will come with the new 2013 GT500 ?

From the rumours I have read so far hee is what I am thinking:

620 HP, 5,8L (same alu block but bored out) with more cooling. Not so sure that a TVS will be in the mix though (sure hope it is)

Suspension improvements to both the base and track packages

Wider tires (hopefully 305 rears)

Launch control similar to the Boss 302

Bigger rear brakes with possibly cross drilled rotors

Slighly revised front and rear

Track Apps display

Let the fun begin... What do you think ?

I agree with everything you listed except:

1) I'd wager that Ford will also offer an automatic just to stay sales competitive with the competition &

2) I'd bet on a TVS for sure coupled with a mild tune to get to the 620 HP level as that will be what it takes to ensure the GT500 has way more easily attained head room for aftermarket gains than the ZL1 could ever achieve given their apparent use of hypercraptastic pistons

I'd also say Ford will want to pass on the cost to customers of these higher priced goodies as much as possible but that will depend a great extent on where GM prices the ZL1

I don't think there is a hope in hell that you'll see 305's on the back. The chassis is just not built for it.

I don't understand that at all. Many have put wider & stickier tires than the stock 285 without any severe chassis flexing issues. More likely to cause driveline issues than chassis problem

Did you mean to say suspension component problems? Can't see the chassis being an obstacle to 305s

I don't understand that at all. Many have put wider & stickier tires than the stock 285 without any severe chassis flexing issues. More likely to cause driveline issues than chassis problem

Did you mean to say suspension component problems? Can't see the chassis being an obstacle to 305s

I just don't think Ford is going to cut out the bump stop (like owners who have 305's have done) and they aren't going to have the tires sticking out from the fenders. While owners may make these types of mods there are just some things car makers are not willing to risk doing.

Agree that Ford will retain a bumpstop mechanism for safety reasons. However, I don't see this preventing Ford engineers providing wider rubber in back.

It just means that the bumpstop will be relocated and the existing bumpstop bracket can simply disappear from its current location which will easily allow an 11 inch wheel to live in the current wheel well. Since Ford has to err on the side of caution, they'll probalby just do a 10.5 inch wheel. Several on this forum after eliminating the bracket widened their wheels to 11.75 although that width certainly pushes the limits and yields razor thin clearance and additionly requires shock covers to be removed/modified.

We'll soon see what Ford decided to do but I think Ford is playing to win the competition against the ZL1 and not just show up with an "improved" version of the 2012 but yet be 2nd fiddle to the ZL1.

I don't think there is a hope in hell that you'll see 305's on the back. The chassis is just not built for it.

Whammer - I respect your opinion. I sure hope Ford is willing to work this one out. Lack of rear traction is already a significant problem for the power this car makes now. Increasing the HP significantly without addressing the size of the rear shoes would result in very little gain. Need to be able to put the power down to hold its own. As you are probably well aware the ZL1 will have 305's with less power than the rumours indicate for the 13 GT500.

I think that part of the big butt will be painted, but still big.

Fat Bottomed Girls make the world go round. :happy feet:

A flat bottom is no more ideal than a flat chest. I guess some people are forced to pretent that that limitation is in fact not a limitation but an ideal look because that's what they have and they need to make the best of it. They are allowed to do that but most people are able to see through it.

I think the 2013 Mustangs and GT-500's will be the last of the retro high performance V-8's as we've known them. The 5.8L will probably be the last big cubic-inch muscle motor in Mustangs and surly the 600 to 650 hp rumored engine with be the last year for mega horsepower GT-500's. Enjoy them while you can. :worship:

Now I think the future will be bright and the 2014 1/2 (actually a 2015) Mustang will be much lighter with superior handling, power to weight ratio, and economy. I loved the retro Mustang years but the future calls for something futurist and into the future it must go to survive. :alien:

I highly doudt Ford will go wider at the rear unless they can do the same with the front. Wider/taller tires at the rear would aid in straight line acceleration but will hurt traction thru the corners as staggered sizes front to rear tend to cause more oversteer. Traction needs to come from power management, not tires. Climb into any race car and stand on the go peddle and the tires will go up in smoke in a hurry. If it was as simple as bolting on wider tires then all cars would have foot wide + rubber out back, regardless of the power level.

2012MY factory front/rear configuration comes staggered at 255/285 right?

275s on the front have been widely reported to not rub; some have said that 285s do not rub but some say they do rub a bit

So I don't see a problem with a 275-Front / 305-Rear combo which lines up nicely with the standard factory config.

Personally, I see putting wider rubber on the 2013MY as one of SVT's easier tasks to accomplish. We shall see.

More importantly is the choice of compound rather than an extra 20mm of width; but $$ consideration enters the picture more with compound selection

Archived