TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad Stripe Poll

What Color Shelby GT had the most Bad Stripes?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What Color Shelby GT had the most Bad Stripes?

I have a vista blue & my only problem is stripe wrinkling around the scoop on installation (still not resolved). And the old 1" blue stripe on the old scoop looks a little darker than the car, but the new one looks closer.

What are you looking to resolve? File a warranty claim.

How to here:

http://www.teamshelb...nfo-for-owners/

This issue is due to the scoop's expansion and contraction in hot/cold weather and covered. The stripes and scoop will be replaced with a newer improved scoop.

Covered here:

http://www.teamshelb...d-scoop-thread/

and here:

http://www.teamshelb...stripes-thread/

I'd like a poll on if people think we need a yet another new "stripe thread". It's REALLY getting old again to hear the same complaints, the same comments, the same suggestions, the same options, the same opinions, the same venting, the same objections, over and over and over again. :doh:

So Jeff, have you gotten enough feedback one way or another on this? Personally,I don't think it will matter

as folks choose to ignore the current pinned Stripes thread because they want to make some noise venting on

the matter. An old thread doesn't do much as a new thread in that regard. Perhaps if you rename the pinned thread

to something like: "Before you annoy everyone else about how much our stripes suck, please post here before

starting a new thread."

As for my personal thoughts about the stripes: yes they suck... yes, vinyl stripes suck in general, but ours of every

model year/type seem to suck more... get over it and do something about it.

Hmm... I could almost sub "stripes" for "original plastic hood scoop" for the above statement as well.

-Tom

So Jeff, have you gotten enough feedback one way or another on this? Personally,I don't think it will matter

as folks choose to ignore the current pinned Stripes thread because they want to make some noise venting on

the matter. An old thread doesn't do much as a new thread in that regard. Perhaps if you rename the pinned thread

to something like: "Before you annoy everyone else about how much our stripes suck, please post here before

starting a new thread."

As for my personal thoughts about the stripes: yes they suck... yes, vinyl stripes suck in general, but ours of every

model year/type seem to suck more... get over it and do something about it.

Hmm... I could almost sub "stripes" for "original plastic hood scoop" for the above statement as well.

-Tom

LOL...yeah....but I've given up and just decided that we'll just need to deal with "new" Stripe threads for as long as there is one car left with original stripes installed.

What's sad is that anything and EVERYTHING a person needs to know about the stripe issue, and the possible remedies, is there in ONE place. All they have to do is read and take action.

• 4 weeks later...

My '07 #076 stripes are pretty bad. My Car is black and has 60k miles. It's parked in a garage. I've talked to the body shop manager at Drew Ford in La Mesa, CA twice about my car and getting them fixed under warantee (which is was at the time). She says they won't do it - except of course, if you bought the car from them - which I didn't. I bought it used on '07 with 4500 miles.

I was told to email Ford Warantee claims. Haven't done that yet unfortunately.

When I bought the car, the original owner had a set of replacement stripes that he got from Shelby. The OEM is Oracal. I called them and they said that the stripes are only guaranteed for 6 months in the horizontal position.

I went to a guy where Drew Ford that does paint wraps and stripes etc and he says that black car with the silver metallic stripe is more prone to discoloration and that they avoid that particular color. There is no question that black absorbs the most heat of all colors therefore the black with silver striped cars will have a shorter sticker life.

I'm in the process of getting a replacement hood scoop and cutting a hole to make it functional and getting the stripes painted on.

My '07 #076 stripes are pretty bad. My Car is black and has 60k miles. It's parked in a garage. I've talked to the body shop manager at Drew Ford in La Mesa, CA twice about my car and getting them fixed under warantee (which is was at the time). She says they won't do it - except of course, if you bought the car from them - which I didn't. I bought it used on '07 with 4500 miles.

I was told to email Ford Warantee claims. Haven't done that yet unfortunately.

When I bought the car, the original owner had a set of replacement stripes that he got from Shelby. The OEM is Oracal. I called them and they said that the stripes are only guaranteed for 6 months in the horizontal position.

I went to a guy where Drew Ford that does paint wraps and stripes etc and he says that black car with the silver metallic stripe is more prone to discoloration and that they avoid that particular color. There is no question that black absorbs the most heat of all colors therefore the black with silver striped cars will have a shorter sticker life.

I'm in the process of getting a replacement hood scoop and cutting a hole to make it functional and getting the stripes painted on.

1. Get the stripes installed BEFORE the scoop and take care of them as has been outlined in the Stripe thread. If the car is a daily driver you'll need to take care of the stripes daily or paint them on. I have had mine for 3 years and they look PERFECT. But I don't do the things I know will kill the stripes so it's work. When in comes to installation READ the pinned Stripes thread where you will read about tips/tricks/and common installation errors such as 1" gap etc.

2. "Functional" is a relative term on the scoop...a few have done it but I don't see the point. It's gathering and throwing dirt and debris into the engine compartment. The CAI is up front and honestly hopefully not affected by the under hood turbulence you're creating. It's not like you have a RAM Air system under there. When in comes to installation READ the pinned Hood Scoop thread where you will read about tips/tricks/and common installation errors such as pinching the inner layer of the hood.

Good luck!

Jeff,

I was up all night reading all the threads. I feel like an idiot that I didn't stay current with all the developments. I had many personal matters to tend to up until recently and the car went to the bottom of the priority list.

I just called Ford Performance and talked to Dan and they will sell me the scoop for $170 + S&H. The stripes are $227 + S&H. I just want to get this fixed right. I'm having the stripes painted on so I don't have to do birdshit patrol every day.

I bought a new Explorer a few days ago and negotiated some cash to fix this problem once and for all. Seems a guy like me out of warrantee has no leverage until you want to buy something.

I really like what Chip did with his scoop and the nutsert solution is solid. I agree with him that once the hole is opened up in front it changes the complextion of the car. It gets dirty in there anyways without it and a non functional part on the car is just phony baloney.

Thanks for being an active member and sharing all of your insights.

Mark

My car is performance white with the silver stripes and they are badly spotted and faded. The paint is in great condition. I'm not the original owner however and the car was titled in Alaska, Texas and Tenn. proir to being in Maryland.

At this point and based on all the info I may have them removed and painted on. Haven't heard anyone say what their thoughts are as to the impact painted stripes have on the potetial value of the cars.

2. "Functional" is a relative term on the scoop...a few have done it but I don't see the point. It's gathering and throwing dirt and debris into the engine compartment. The CAI is up front and honestly hopefully not affected by the under hood turbulence you're creating. It's not like you have a RAM Air system under there. When in comes to installation READ the pinned Hood Scoop thread where you will read about tips/tricks/and common installation errors such as pinching the inner layer of the hood.

Good luck!

I put the Chip Beck scoop on and opened up the hood - you are correct in that it's "functional" only from a visual aspect, and it does make a huge impact on everyone that sees it! That being said, while driving, most air is being aerodynamically kicked/pushed over the hood and scoop by the front-end and this is a problem that was discovered in the original Shelby's. (No ram air, but at least they had a carb right beneath pulling cooler air in!)

While driving, I have yet to get anything, (even rain water) in the engine bay other than a few large bugs! What I did discover was that a lot of heat is exhausted out of the engine bay through the hood scoop while parked, which is nice because my supercharger sits right beneath the opening! Overall, it may be a minimal amount, but I'll take it!

- You may now return to the previously mentioned stripe gripe!

Sam

I put the Chip Beck scoop on and opened up the hood - you are correct in that it's "functional" only from a visual aspect, and it does make a huge impact on everyone that sees it! That being said, while driving, most air is being aerodynamically kicked/pushed over the hood and scoop by the front-end and this is a problem that was discovered in the original Shelby's. (No ram air, but at least they had a carb right beneath pulling cooler air in!)

While driving, I have yet to get anything, (even rain water) in the engine bay other than a few large bugs! What I did discover was that a lot of heat is exhausted out of the engine bay through the hood scoop while parked, which is nice because my supercharger sits right beneath the opening! Overall, it may be a minimal amount, but I'll take it!

Sam

Funny I was going to point out the potential heat benefit for those with a SC but decided not to muddy the waters...good point of validation though that it might be of some value in that application. Also nice to hear it's not as bad on the dirt side of things. Make no mistake though I agree a functional hood is the preference for sure so my thinking is I'll go with the deep draw hood.

Sam

What is this Chip Beck scoop you speak of?

What is this Chip Beck scoop you speak of?

He's a Team Shelby member and SGT owner in addition to being a professional aerobatic pilot - he developed an exact duplicate of the SGT scoop made from aerospace grade material (much stronger/better than fiberglass). I haven't seen him on the forum for a while, but if you try and send him a PM he might answer or contact Heath Lhoste at Performance One Aviation.

It wasn't cheap, but it's "functional" and looks great!

Sam

Archived